Presentation on theme: "1. Present and Past Participles as Adjectives"— Presentation transcript:
11. Present and Past Participles as Adjectives 2. can’t/couldn’t help but + Vcan’t/couldn’t help + V-ing
21. Present and Past Participles as Adjectives Examples:1. He was also a failed student.2. He was doomed to be a strugglingartist.3. Sparky had no choice but to acceptthe changed name.
31. There are many (falling, fallen) leaves on the ground. 2. Please be careful not to wake the(sleeping, slept) child.3. Ellen drank the (polluting, polluted)water and got sick.
44. Put noodles in the (boiling, boiled) water and cook them for threeminutes.5. This is a (growing, grown) city, andmany buildings here are still underconstruction.
5London and New York City have many things in common. First of all, B. 根據句型與提示字完成以下的段落。London and New York City have many things in common. First of all,English is the 1 __________ (speak) language in both cities. Second, bothcities have marvelous museums. The2 __________ (display) paintings inthese museums are usually very famous and of interest to people all over the world.spokendisplayed
6As for the weather, both London and New York City are very cold in the winter. If you go to either of these two cities in the early spring, you will see3 _____________ (melt) snow on the ground.Finally, London is a 4 __________ (develop) city, and so is New York City.melted/meltingdeveloped
7increased/increasingTherefore, an 5 __________ (increase) population has caused both cities many problems over the past few decades. For example, the problem of pollution is getting more serious in both cities every day. So, people in London and New York City are both suffering from more air pollution and litter problems now.
82. can’t/couldn’t help but + V can’t/couldn’t help + V-ing Examples:After graduating from high school,Sparky couldn’t help but continuedrawing.2. The cake is so tasty that I can’t helpeating one piece after another.
9A. 根據句型以及上面的範例，改寫下面的句子。 The movie was so fantastic that Lisacouldn’t help but __________ (see) it onemore time.2. Rita is a sensitive person. She can’t help__________ (cry) whenever she reads asad story.3. James couldn’t help but __________(stare) at the lovely girl sitting next to him.seecryingstare
10A. 根據句型以及上面的範例，改寫下面的句子。 4. The French fries were so delicious that I couldn’t help but __________ (eat) a few more.5. We couldn’t help __________ (shout) for joy when we knew our national team had won the baseball game.eatshouting
11B. 根據句型與提示字完成下列對話，並做適當變化。 1. Andy: Hi, Liz! Why do you look sotired?Liz: I stayed up late last night.Therefore, _________________________________________(I/but/doze off/in class/today).I couldn’t help but doze off in class today
12B. 根據句型與提示字完成下列對話，並做適當變化。 2. Peter: Are you all right? You look upset.Joanne: You know, it’s Mother’s Day today.___________________ ________________________(I/help/miss/my mother/on this day). She passed away last year.I can’t help missing my mother on this day
13B. 根據句型與提示字完成下列對話，並做適當變化。 3. Carl: You look tired and pale.What’s wrong?Betty: I didn’t sleep well last night because _____________________________________(I/help/worry about/my final exams).I couldn’t help worrying about my final exams
14B. 根據句型與提示字完成下列對話，並做適當變化。 4. Ed: Stop walking around the room, Karen! Why don’t you just sit down? Karen: Sorry. _______________________________________(I/but/do this) whenever Ifeel nervous.I can’t help but do this
15B. 根據句型與提示字完成下列對話，並做適當變化。 5. Jason: Hey, look at Mary’s new hairstyle. It’s so funny that __________________________________________(I/help/laugh/whenever I see her)!Tina: Oh, Jason! Stop laughing!You are so rude!I can’t help laughingwhenever I see her