Presentation on theme: "1. S 1 + V 1 + wh- + S 2 + V 2.... 1. S 1 + V 1 + wh- + S 2 + V 2.... 2. Subordinating Conjunctions: 2. Subordinating Conjunctions: after, before, when,"— Presentation transcript:
1. S 1 + V 1 + wh- + S 2 + V 2.... 1. S 1 + V 1 + wh- + S 2 + V 2.... 2. Subordinating Conjunctions: 2. Subordinating Conjunctions: after, before, when, while, after, before, when, while, because, since, although, if... because, since, although, if...
Examples: 1. A statement of purpose explains why you want to study a subject at a college or university. 2. It should also include how the program is connected to your interests and why the program will be useful in your future career. 3. Do you know when Jack left the office last night?
A. 根據句型，將下列句子改寫為間接問句。第一題為 範例。 1. Whose house is that? → Mary is asking Tony whose house that is. 2. When will the talk show begin? → Lucy wants to know __________________ ______________. 3. Why was Maggie late for the meeting? → Do you have any idea _________________ ______________? why Maggie was late for the meeting when the talk show will begin
4. What did David say yesterday? → I don’t remember _______________ __________. 5. How did the accident happen? → The police can’t understand ________ _________________. what David said yesterday how the accident happened
B. 將下列的提示字重組，並在必要時做適當變化，以完 成對話。第一題為範例。 Henry: Hey, Vicky. Do you know ¹ why Judy looks so upset (why/look/Judy/upset/so)? Vicky: Oh, she is just confused about ²_____________________________ _______________ (should/she/apply for/which program/at college). Henry: Well, it’s really something that needs careful consideration. which program she should apply for at college
Vicky: Do you have any idea about ³____________________________ (how/can/she/solve this problem)? Henry: Well, she should first think about ____________________________ (what/plan to do/in the future/she). It may help her make the right decision. how she can solve this problem what she plans to do in the future
Vicky: What else? Henry: Hmm.... She should also think about ______________________ (what/is/interested/she/in). Her interests are very important, as well. what she is interested in
Examples: 1. Since an SOP is required in applications to many colleges and universities, it’s better to prepare one early on. 2. If you want to study computer science, avoid general statements. 3. It also suggests that the applicant would be a good member of an academic department because he/she has done things for his/her school.
Examples: 4. When an applicant is working on the SOP, he/she can make it even stronger by adding extra details. 5. After getting a bachelor’s degree, I am also considering the option of doing a master’s degree in marketing.
A. 運用適當的從屬句子，並在必要時做適當變化。 第一題為範例。 1. I was taking a bath. John called me. → While/When I was taking a bath, John called me.
2. Steve studied very hard for the math test. Steve failed the math test. → _______________________________ _______________________________ Although Steve studied very hard for the math test, he failed it./ Steve failed the math test although he studied very hard for it.
3. Sue doesn’t like John. John is rude to her. → _______________________________ _______________________________ Sue doesn’t like John because he is rude to her./Because John is rude to Sue, she doesn’t like him.
4. You will get a gold medal. You win the contest. → ____________________________ ____________________________ If you win the contest, you will get a gold medal./You will get a gold medal if you win the contest.
5. Leo graduated from college. Leo worked in a restaurant. → _______________________________ _______________________________ After Leo graduated from college, he worked in a restaurant./ Leo worked in a restaurant after he graduated from college.
because if after when before since Amy hopes to work in the hotel industry in the future. This idea dates back to many years ago. ¹________________ she was fifteen, she visited the United States with her family. One day she got lost and couldn’t make herself understood ²_______________ she couldn’t speak English that well…. B. 以下為一篇 Amy 為何想在飯店工作的簡述，選擇適當 的從屬連接詞填入，以完成這篇短文。 When because/since
…Luckily, a kind desk clerk in a hotel helped her out. He gave her directions and called a taxi for her. Finally, she was able to find her family again. ³_______________ this happened, Amy had never realized that traveling overseas could be troublesome and a helping hand in a time of need could mean a lot to visitors in a foreign country. … Before because if after when before since
…After this experience, she began to think that __________ she could work in a hotel, she would have the chance to help visitors from foreign countries. _______________ her goal now is to work in a hotel in the future, she plans to study in the Tourism Department at college 6 _______________ she graduates from high school. because if after when before since if Because/Since after/when