Presentation on theme: "1)Where in Rome did the column shown in this reproduction stand? [ACH] Any ONE of: Trajan’s Forum in Rome north of the Roman Forum near the Quirinal hill."— Presentation transcript:
1)Where in Rome did the column shown in this reproduction stand? [ACH] Any ONE of: Trajan’s Forum in Rome north of the Roman Forum near the Quirinal hill.
(2) When was this column dedicated? [ACH] 113 AD
3) The relief decoration on this column features stock military themes. Give TWO of these stock themes. [ACH] Any TWO of: the emperor sacrifices before departure the emperor addresses the soldiers the Roman army fortifies a camp the army fights and defeats the enemy the enemy begs for mercy.
4) Describe in detail what is depicted in the detail shown in Reproduction 8.10 on page 52. [ACH] Dacian prisoner brought before Trajan. Trajan recognised as he is higher. Dacian depicted as a barbarian with long moustache and trousers. Etc etc et c
5) Explain THREE ways in which the sculptors addressed the difficulty of viewing the uppermost reliefs from ground level. [MER] Any THREE of: The height of each band gradually increases as it goes up to the top. The height of the figures gradually increases. Figures were made more prominent by the use of metal accessories. Figures were made more prominent by the use of added colour. (Other answers possible such as increased depth of relief or similar.)
6 (i) Explain TWO of the perspectives used in the sculptural relief on this column. Give an example of the use of each perspective on the column. (ii) What is the advantage of using different perspectives? [MER] (i)Frontal view + example Eg the depiction of soldiers in the foreground of scenes. Bird’s eye view + example Eg looking from above into a Roman camp. (Other points possible.) (ii)The viewer is able to see simultaneously what is happening inside the building or walls, as well as the action taking place outside. (Other answers are possible.)
7) (i) Analyse THREE ways in which this column glorifies the emperor who ordered its construction. In your answer you must make specific reference to the column and the historical background of the campaigns depicted in its reliefs. (ii) Explain how the location of the column contributed to its propaganda purpose.[EXC] (i)Any THREE of: The spiral relief features Trajan’s defeat of the Dacians at the beginning of the 2nd century AD, highlighting the emperor’s credibility as commander of the Roman army / conqueror of barbarians. Trajan is the only identifiable figure on the relief, appearing in a number of different scenes + example eg receiving an embassy from the Dacians. The emperor dominates the scenes in which he appears – sculpted a little bigger, at a higher level, framed by others who look towards him + example eg on a platform addressing his troops. Trajan’s statue stood at the top of the column, prominently visible. Trajan’s ashes were placed inside the pedestal at the base of the column, housed in a grand memorial. Examples can be generalized ones. (Other answers possible such as showing pietas or clementia or an adlocutio + example.) (ii)Any ONE of: Focus is on the location and the propaganda value of the location. The column was one part of a vast forum complex celebrating Trajan. (This complex featured eg a triumphal archway and equestrian statue, a huge basilica, a temple to the Divine Trajan.) The column was located in a busy, public part of the city (eg near the political hub of the Roman Forum and the commercial activity of Trajan’s market.