8. A nest is to a bird what a house is to a man. A is to B what C is to D. A to B is what C is to D. A to B is like C to D.A B C D e.g. CPU is to a computer what a heart is to a man. = CPU to a computer is what a heart is to a man. = CPU to a computer is like a heart to a man. CPU Reading is to mind what food is to the body.
1.. A: : see, hear, feel, watch., notice, think, find Eg. He felt himself cheated. The managers discussed the plan that they would like to see carried out the next year.
B: : have, keep, make, get, leave Eg. Dont leave such an important thing undone. have sth done 1 I had my computer repaired. 2 … …. He had his leg broken in the match yesterday.
C: : want, wish, like, expect. e.g. We like the problem settled. I would like my house painted white.
D: with/without With everything well arranged, he left the office. The woman was worrying with her ticket lost. He left the office without work done yesterday.
2. see, hear, feel, watch, notice v-ing do : v-ing, ; do, done e.g. I see the girl playing under the tree. Yesterday the woman heard someone cry in the street. He never heard a word of English spoken before coming to England.
1. + + 2. 3. The villagers had many trees planted just then. We can hear the windows beaten by the heavy rain drops. I will have my hair cut tomorrow.
find + +n. /adj. /doing /done /adv. /to be / + + 1. Can you find me a book? 2. I find Russian grammar very difficult. 3. If you are found playing games at work, you will be dismissed. 4. I found him at home.
+ + (n./adj./doing/done/to be/ ) 1.____ poor at English, Im afraid I cant make myself _____. A. To be; understand B. Im; to understand C. Being; understanding D. Being; understood
+ + (n./adj./doing/done/to be/ ) 2. I have had my bike _____, and Im going to have somebody _____ my radio tomorrow. A. repair; to repair B. repairing; to repaired C. repaired; repair D. to repaired; repairing
+ + (n./adj./doing/done/to be/ ) 3. You must get the work ____ before Friday. A. do B. to do C. doing D. done
+ + (n./adj./doing/done/to be/ ) 4. _____ the room, the nurse found the tape-recorder ______. A. Entering; stealing B. Entering; gone C. To have entered; being stolen D. Having entered; to be stolen
+ + (n./adj./doing/done/to be/ ) 5. We are pleased to see the problem ______ so quickly. A. settled B. having been settled C. be settled D. settling
What happened to it later? When the army factory moved some years ago, the factory buildings were no longer used. Most of the workshops stood empty.
Then what happened ? Some art companies rent parts of the factory. develop into a centre for _____,bringing together Chinese artists, art ________, musicians, a Japanese _________, a Sichuan _________, a _________and _________________. companies teahouse restaurant bookshop a dance club arts
workshop Tea house How is it used? Painters and other artists use the smaller rooms as ______to paint Music bands rent space to ______. The main factory hall can be used for _______,______ and _______________ studios practise concertsparties dance festivals
often very large; often very large; far from the city; far from the city; Why was Factory 798 welcomed by painters, Why was Factory 798 welcomed by painters, music bands, artists and musicians? music bands, artists and musicians? not enough money; not enough money; ( not to disturb the neighborhood)
A second life for factory 798 Built in the early 1950s Moved, no longer used, Art centre A good way to save architecture from the past.
Good evening, everyone! Welcome to this edition of Around China. Today we will take you to a visit of the famous Factory 798...
In almost every city around the world, there are old buildings which are no longer used, such as schools, hospitals, factories or even churches. In almost every city around the world, there are old buildings which are no longer used, such as schools, hospitals, factories or even churches.
New uses should be given to old special buildings. Its a great way to save the architec- ture from the past. We should pull down the old buildings and set up new modern ones to keep up with the pace of the society.
O Our school is moving to the new campus now and the old campus will be left empty then. What new uses can be given to the old school buildings? Please work in groups and make a plan about it.
F First, make a detailed drawing of the floor plan of the school building; T Then number and describe the size, height and special features of the building; Step 1. Step 2.
Decide which rooms and parts can be used by which kind of people, eg. which are best for painters, pop bands,a bookshop and so on. Add a plan of how to decorate the rooms for different users and how much money will be needed. Try to think about cheap ways of doing things. Decide which rooms and parts can be used by which kind of people, eg. which are best for painters, pop bands,a bookshop and so on. Add a plan of how to decorate the rooms for different users and how much money will be needed. Try to think about cheap ways of doing things. Step 3.
1. Finish the program about Factory 798 as a TV reporter. 1. Finish the program about Factory 798 as a TV reporter. 2. Finish your plan about how to reuse our old school building. 2. Finish your plan about how to reuse our old school building.
rent n./v. for rent ( ) … … rent sth (out) (to sb) … … rent sth (from sb) … rent at/for sth The building rents at $3000 a year. It takes the factory a lot of money to rent an airplane from the air-line company. This peasant rented all his lands out and had a rich life with the rents
Sentence pattern 1 Often, these buildings are pulled down after having stood empty without use for many years. Stand+ adj … The door stood open. The hospitals stand ready for emergency cases.
2 They are decorated with small round windows that remind you of ships,bent roofs and twenty-foot high walls of glass that make them special when compared with other architecture from the same period decorate …with…/ remind sb of sth; remind sb of sth sb. to do sth sb. that e.g. This song reminds me of his brother. Remind me to write to mother. Please remind me that I must call her up before nine.
He set aside a bit of money every month for old age. She set aside her book and lit a cigarette. Lets set aside our personal feeling. ; …, 3The simple style of the buildings and the fact that they are German set them aside as very different from Chinese architecture.
that, whether fact,news,idea,truth,hope,problem, information 1).His hope that he may recover comes true. 2).The fact that he is wrong makes his very sad. 3).The problem whether we should continue to do the experiment has not been solved.
4. Besides, many of these buildings were constructed far from the city. besides I don t want to come out, and besides, I must work. Far from + adj/ n./ving,, I m far from (being ) happy in my present job. What he has done is far from (being) satisfactory.
5Many large cities,such as Liverpool and New York, have had experiments of this kind,with old factories turned into successful arts centers. with+n/pron+ (n, adj,adv,v-ing,v-ed, to do) 1.He always sleeps with his eyes open. 2.Do you know the woman with a child in her arms. 3.With a lot of work to do, he is as busy as a bee 4.With every one supporting us,we can certainly Succeed. 5.The man was brought in with his hand tied behind his back.
1.Do you have a (an) _______ for pop music or folk music? A. interest B. ability C. preference D. choice 2. _____ you have bought! A. What a fine piece of furniture B. How fine furnitures C. What a fine furniture D. How beautiful a furniture 3. Will you drop in at my house this afternoon if ______? A. it is convenient for you B. you are convenient C. it is convenient of you D. you will be convenient 4. These measures are ______ to reduce pollution. A. hoped B. designed C. demanded D. promised 5. The scene is deeply _______ on my memories. A. brought B. impressed C. provided D. left 6. ______ what his parents said to him, he made the same mistake. A. Despite B. Though C. Even though D. Although 7. They _______ up the holes with stones. A. put B. covered C. filled D. fixed
8. Have you any ________ suggestions as to what we should do? A. exact B. practice C. real D. concrete 9. What he does is ________ a lot of problems. A. doing B. creating C. giving D. inventing 10. We saw the houses in the street _____ in order to make room for a large square. A. pulled off B. pulled up C. pulled down D. pulled in 11. ---- Have you ever seen that movie? ---- Yes. When I was in Tokyo, I ________ it three times. A. saw B. had seen C. have seen D. would see 12. Too terrible! I cant ______ that noise any longer. It will drive me crazy. A. keep B. stand C. hold D. touch 13. I wouldnt feel happy ______ in a block of apartments. Id rather ______ in a traditional house. A.living; to live B. living; live C. to live; to live D. to live; living 14. They hurried back home only to find their house _____ into. A. break B. to break C. broken D. breaking
15. Rather than__ on a crowed bus, he always prefers ___ a bicycle. A. ride, ride B. riding, ride C. ride, to ride D. to ride, riding 16.when a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it ___. A. breaks B.has broken C. were broken D. had been broken 17.She thought I was talking about her daughter,__ in fact, I was talking about my daughter. A. whom B. where C. which D. while 18. A cook will be immediately fired if he is found ___ in the kitchen. A. smoke B. smoking C. to smoke D. smoked