Presentation on theme: "Periods 3-4 Language points. 1.decrease increase The number of new students decreased from 210 to 160 this year. The price wheat has decreased by 15%."— Presentation transcript:
Periods 3-4 Language points
1.decrease increase The number of new students decreased from 210 to 160 this year. The price wheat has decreased by 15%. This species of bird is decreasing in number every year.
2. as a result. He ate some bad fish. As a result, he fell ill. as a result of … / /what As a result of what he said, his mother got very angry. He fell from the horse. As a result, he was unable to go to work the next day. = He was unable to work the next day as the result of the fall from his horse.
6. as a result… as a result of …. The dam broke and ___________the land was flooded. He failed in the exam _____________ being careless. as a result as a result of 3.endanger v. … endangered adj. dangerous adj. danger n.
Smoking endangers your health. be in danger be out of danger The patient is in danger. be in danger of …… She was sick and in danger of (losing her life). help …out of danger be a danger to…(us) They are in danger./ They are endangered. They are dangerous. ( ).
4. die out Many animals have died out in the past. Many old customs are dying out. die away He hid behind the door until the footsteps had died away. die off As he grew older, his relatives all died off. die down When the excitement had died down, the shoppers reopened their shops.
5. loss n. He reported the loss of his wallet to the police. He suffered a loss of 10,000dollars on the business. Our team has already had 3 losses. be lost in at a loss --He was at a loss what to say to the teachers question. --Obviously he was lost in thought just now.
6. reserve---reservation-- We must reserve two seats on the plane. (2) You had better reserve the money for future need. I must keep a good reserve of energy for tomorrows exam. (3) We watched the lions in the nature reserve.
7.hunt ---hunting---hunter go hunting hunt for a hunting dog He is hunting for a job. The dogs are hunting for the bones.
8. being left in peace leave (the tigers) in peace leave+O.+OC. leave +O.+N. (leave him an orphan) leave+O.+adj. (leave the window open) leave+O.+adv. (leave the light on) leave+O.+doing (leave him shouting in the rain) leave+O.+done (leave the illness untreated)
9.in peace at peace in peace, at peace I wish youd leave me in peace– Ive got work to do. The two countries are at peace. in peace at peace On the whole, the world now is ________. Generally speaking, people all over the world now live ______________.
10. Daisy had always longed to help endangered species of wild life. long to do sth. long for sth. Were longing for peace. He longed to see her. We longed for the summer to be over soon.
11. Beneath our stomachs( I have a pain in my stomach =I have a stomachache. I have no stomach for this heavy food.( have a stomach for … on a full stomach on an empty stomach turn ones stomach
12. turn around … The earth turns around the sun. turn on /off / turn up/ down / turn to … turn against turn over turn away turn back
13. in relief When the headmaster walked out of the classroom, the students were in relief. to ones relief Much to our relief, her injuries were only slight. 14. burst into laughter She burst into tears. He burst into the room without knocking. The aircraft burst into flames.
15.Thats better, but Id like to help as the WWF suggests. The monitor suggested a visit to that hill this week. The monitor suggested visiting that hill this week. The monitor suggested we ( should) visit that hill this week. The experts suggested to the government several possible solutions to the problem. The smile on his face suggested that he was glad to help.
16. protect ……from ….. …. He is wearing sunglasses to protect his eyes from the strong sunlight. The heavy coat can protect me from \against cold. We must do something to protect the trees from being cut down. keep sb from doing sth stop sb from doing sth prevent sb from doing sth The school stopped the students from playing computer games.
17.affecteffecteffective affect sth. /sb.=have an effect on sth. /sb. … A sudden change in weather may affect your health. The medicine has an effect on me.
The amount of rain affects the crops. Their opinion will not affect my decision. come into effect in effect take effect The old mans words ______________ me, and I always remember what he said. Lucy said she left her homework at home, _______ she didnt finish it. The medicine_____________ in one hour after you take it. This new teaching system of our school _____________ next month. had an effect on in effect takes effect will come into effect
18. pay attention to You speak English very well, but youd better____________________ your written English. Please pay attention to what Im saying. pay more attention to
19. appreciate I appreciate your help. Her gift for music was not appreciated. Im afraid you havent appreciated the problem of the matter. appreciate + doing I appreciated being invited to the party. appreciate it + if Ill appreciate it if you can help us with the work.
20.No rain forest, no animals,no drugs. No pains, no gains. Nothing venture, nothing gain. Nothing seek, nothing find