Presentation on theme: "5th Grade – CRCT Practice English/Language Arts Grammar & Mechanics."— Presentation transcript:
5th Grade – CRCT Practice English/Language Arts Grammar & Mechanics
1. Which sentence has the correct punctuation? A. The policeman told the crowd "to disperse." B. We were told "not to ask that question again." C. Jan told the waiter "that she asked for tea, not coffee. D. My teacher told Vincent, "You need to sit down now."
2. Which date is correctly punctuated? A.January B.January 7, 2001 C.January, 7, 2001 D.January
3. The rapid movements of the squirrel as it ate made the children laugh. Which part of speech is the underlined word in the sentence above? A. verb B. noun C. adverb D. adjective
4. Will you come to the dance? said Elaine to Erik. It will be a lot of fun. What punctuation is needed to correct these sentences? A. add quotation marks before will and after fun B. add quotation marks before will and before it C. add quotation marks before will, after the question mark, and after the second period D. add quotation marks before will, after the question mark, before it, and after the second period
5. Which sentence is written correctly? A. Lonnie is surprised that its already time for school. B. It's fur was thick and shiny. C. "Why is it always cold on Saturday? David said with a frown. D. "It's amazing how big you have gotten," Molly's aunt said.
6. Your charm and good looks are hardly going to help you in this situation. What is the adverb in this sentence? A. charm B. hardly C. going D. situation
7. Which sentence contains a possessive pronoun? A. John's father never knew how to swim. B. He has almost all of the books in the series. C. All of those cards that he gave you were mine. D. The following week we were supposed to be in New York.
8. Which sentence needs a semicolon? A. Who wants to go to the concert tonight? B. We went down the street and bought milk at the store. C. He was careful to pack shirts, ties, pants, and a jacket in his luggage. D. We were not able to get tickets to the show even so, we had a wonderful time
9. Which sentence shows the past tense of race? A. I raced bikes with my friends today. B. I am racing my bike ahead of my friends. C. I will race bikes with my friends tomorrow. D. I race bikes with my friends every chance I get.
10. Which sentence is punctuated correctly? A. Do not touch the hot stove! B. Who did not eat their broccoli. C. December is the last month in a year, D. Tell me where you last saw the cat hiding?
11. Tarisha will not be in the school play this year. Which is another way to write will not? A. won't B. wan't C. willn't D. wouldn't
12. Rafael and Marian _____ selected to play Romeo and Juliet this year. Which word or phrase belongs in the blank? A. is B. was C. Were D. has been
13. She always speaks softly in the classroom. Which part of speech is the underlined word in the sentence? A. verb B. noun C. adverb D. adjective
14. Which group of words correctly shows possession? A. Kelvin's pencil fell on the floor and rolled to the front of the class. B. The videotape need's to be returned to the store on Wednesday. C. Chris shoes were covered in mud all the way up to his laces. D. Marks opinion was shared, but no one listened.
15. I hear that your mother is coming to Matthews for a week. While she is here, will you be showing her all the sights? When Sara's aunt came last year, she took her to the site that will be used by our new mall. We will probably go their tonight because there stores are really cool. You can go to the clothing stores where you can find something that you would like to wear. Which pair of underlined words in the paragraph is used incorrectly? A. hear, here B. their, there C. sight, site D. where, wear
Answer Key 1. D2. B3. D 4. C5. D6. B 7. D8. D9. A 10. A11. A12. C 13. C 14. A15. B