Presentation on theme: "Tuesday, September 20th. A tag question is a sentence with a question phrase connected at the end. Example: It’s windy today, isn’t it? Sentence partTag."— Presentation transcript:
Tuesday, September 20th
A tag question is a sentence with a question phrase connected at the end. Example: It’s windy today, isn’t it? Sentence partTag
1. To clarify information (the speaker expects an answer) Example: ▪ We have a test tomorrow, don’t we? ▪ Mr. Smith is coming to the meeting, isn’t he? ▪ I’m permitted to park here, aren’t I?
2. To agree with someone (the speaker does not expect an answer) Example: ▪ You’re falling asleep, aren’t you? ▪ The party was a lot of fun, wasn’t it? ▪ I didn’t win the lottery, did I?
Step 1: Identify the verb in the sentence. Sergio likes to eat at buffets, ______ ______? verb
Step 2: Identify the type of verb. (Is it the verb “to be”, an auxiliary verb, or the main verb?) Sergio likes to eat at buffets, ______ ______? Main verb
Step 3: Identify the tense of verb. (Is it in present or past tense?) Sergio likes to eat at buffets, ______ ______? Present tense
Step 4: If in present tense, determine if 1st or 3rd person. If in past tense, use auxiliary “to be” or “do” in past. Sergio likes to eat at buffets, _ _ ______? Use the auxiliary verb “does”. Third person does
Step 5: Is the verb affirmative or negative? Sergio likes to eat at buffets, __________? Write in the opposite. Affirmative doesn’t
Step 6: Add the pronoun at the end. Sergio likes to eat at buffets, doesn’t ? Noun he
Step 1: Identify the verb in the sentence. Step 2: Identify the type of verb. Step 3: Identify the tense. Step 4: If in present tense, determine if 1 st or 3 rd person. If in past tense, use auxiliary “to be” or “do” in past. Step 5: Affirmative or negative? Step 6: Add pronoun.
We use tag questions at the end of statements to ask for confirmation. They mean something like: "Am I right?" or "Do you agree?”
+ Positive Statement, - Negative tag Snow is white,Isn’t it? + Negative Statement, - Positive tag You don’t like me,Do you?
+ Positive statement, - Negative tag Subject + auxiliary verb + main verb, auxiliary verb + not + subject ? E.g.: Jhon was there, wasn’t he? You like coffe, don’t you?
- Negative statement, + Positive tag Subject + auxiliary verb + NOT + main verb, auxiliary verb + not + subject ? E.g.: It isn’t raining, is it? You aren’t Chilean, are you?
Lunch was delicious, ? Spring break is next week, _________? Class finished quickly, _________? wasn’t it isn’t it didn’t it
1. You’ve called the movers, 2. They’re coming tomorrow, 3. This isn’t going to be cheap, 4. You haven’t finished packing, 5. We don’t need any more boxes, 6. Pablo is going to help us, 7. We can put some things in storage, 8. Jack isn’t buying our bookcases, 9. We need to disconnect the phone, 10. The movers aren’t packing the books for us, 11. We can’t turn off the electricity yet, 12. Moving is hard, a. can we? b. do we? c. is he? d. isn’t it? e. aren’t they? f. have you? g. isn’t he? h. is it? i. haven’t you? j. don’t we? k. can’t we? l. are they?
Complete the sentences with the correct question tags. 1) Mr McGuinness is from Ireland,_____________ ? 2) The car isn't in the garage,________________ ? 3)You are John, _______________? 4) She went to the library yesterday, ___________? 5) He didn't recognize me,____________________ ? 6) Cars pollute the environment, ______________?
7) She is collecting stickers,_______________ ? 8) We often watch TV in the afternoon,___________ ? 9) You have cleaned your bike, _______________ ? 10) John and Max don't like Maths,______________ ? 11) Peter played handball yesterday, ____________ ? 12) They are going home from school, ____________? 13) Mary didn't do her homework last Monday, _______? 14) He could have bought a new car, ____________? 15) Kevin will come tonight, ______________? 16) I'm clever, ____________?