Presentation on theme: "How do you build an online community? Image: (A Work in Progress...)"— Presentation transcript:
How do you build an online community? Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthamm (A Work in Progress...)
How do you build a community? Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwulff
You cant... Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthigh You provide for, encourage and reward community to allow it to grow
The 9 steps: 1.Listening 2.Objectives 3.Technology 4.Seeding 5.Recognition 6.Moderation + Maintenance 7.Transparency 8.Integrate it into everything you do 9.Measurement and Analysis.
Step 1: Listening Whats out there? Google (inc Blog search) Twitter search Facebook Ning Technorati Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/smoovey
Step 2: Whats the point? 2. How can you help an existing community, or provide value for people by creating a new one? (And because its ours/official doesnt work by itself!) Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elventear 1. What tangible results do you want?
Step 3: Dont be different for the sake of it. Most software has evolved to basic conformity for a reason. Dont try to reinvent the blog or forum for the sake of it. Bad artists copy, good artists steal – Picasso. Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/missrogue
Step 4: Seeding Encourage popular people to contribute. Theyre the 5% who attract the other 95%. Be present and involved yourself where appropriate Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deboni
Step 5: Provide recognition Reward good contributors with public recognition. Reward new members and posters with encouragement and involvement. Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/raptortheangel
Step 6: Moderation/Maintenance Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pictoscribe Moderate lightly/politely but firmly. Make rules clear. Provide adequate resources. Continuously evaluate and evolve software/technology
Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/teflon Step 7: Transparency and having fun Share your enjoyment of what you do – dont be embarrassed. Be transparent where possible – explain the reasons behind actions and people will understand them – and then defend the reasoning to others.
Step 8: Integration Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scobleizer Arrange offline events Build community/CRM into your core business strategy Ensure every employee has clear guidelines, guidance and trust to interact. Dont abuse it by broadcasting because you can Carry the same values from a receptionist answering the phone to direct marketing to advertising.
Step 9: Measurement Defined by business objectives. Scale (on- site/external) Number of conversations (on-site/external) Brand perception/NPS Contributions (UGC ) Subscriptions (RSS/Email) Revenue. Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/saz
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.