Presentation on theme: "Active and Passive Voice ELİF ZEYREK 1090610172 – İÖP."— Presentation transcript:
Active and Passive Voice ELİF ZEYREK – İÖP
TenseActivePassive Present simple They collect the rubbish every Monday The rubbish is collected every Monday Am / is / are + past participle Present continuous They are building a road A road is being built Am /is / are + being + past participle Past simple Someone stole the money The money was stolen Was / were + past participle
TenseActivePassive Past continuous They were repairing the road The road was being repared Was / were + being + past participle Present perfect Someone has changed the arrangement The arrangement has been changed Has / have + been +past participle Past perfect Someone had invited me I had been invited Had + been + past participle
TenseActivePassive Will They will publish the book next year The book will be published next year Will + be + past participle Going to I am going to hold a meeting A meeting is going to be held Going to + be + past participle Present modals You can add new things to project New things can be added to project Modal + be + past participle
TenseActivePassive Past modals You should have done this yesterday This should have been done yesterday Modal + have been + past participle -Ing I don’t remember anyone telling me this I don’t remember being told this Being + past participle Infinitive Infinitive He wanted people to like him He wanted to be liked To be + past participle
TenseActivePassive Perfect infinitive Someone seems to have made a mistake A mistake seems to have been made. To have been + past participle
Active ve passive yapının Türkçe’deki karşılığı, etken ve edilgen yapıdır. Active yani etken cümlenin öznesi, cümledeki eylemi gerçekleştirendir
When rewriting active sentences in passive voice ; 1. The object of the active sentence becomes the subject of the passive sentence
2. The finite form of the verb is changed (to be + past participle) 3. The subject of the active sentence becomes the object of the passive sentence (or is dropped)
Ahmet waited for the bus The bus was waited by Ahmet object subject subject
Aynı cümlenin zamanlara göre çekimi şu şekildedir: SIMPLE PRESENT Ahmet waits the bus. Active The bus is waited by Ahmet Passive Subject Object Subject
Present Continuous: Ahmet is waiting the bus. Active The bus is being waited by Ahmet Passive
Future: AHMET Ahmet will wait the bus. – Active The bus will be waited by Ahmet. – Passive Be going to: Ahmet is going to wait the bus. – Active The bus is going to be waited by Ahmet. –Passive
Simple Past: Simple Past: Ahmet waited the bus. – Active Ahmet waited the bus. – Active The bus was waited by Ahmet. – Passive Simple Past Continuous: Simple Past Continuous: Ahmet was waiting the bus. – Active Ahmet was waiting the bus. – Active The bus was being waited by Ahmet. – Passive
Present Perfect: Present Perfect: Ahmet has waited the bus. – Active The bus has been waited by Ahmet. – Passive Past Perfect: Past Perfect: Ahmet had waited the bus. – Active The bus had been waited by Ahmet – Passive
Future Perfect: Future Perfect: Ahmet will have waited the bus. – Active The bus will have been waited by Ahmet. – Passive
WWWWhen do we use passive
1111. When the agent of the action is unknown: Example: MMMMy wallet was stolen last night. (we don’t know who stole the wallet)
Example: My bike was stolen. In the example above, the focus is on the fact that my bike was stolen. I do not know, however, who did it.
2222. To be tactful by not naming the actor
Example: A mistake was made. In this case, I focus on the fact that a mistake was made, but I do not blame anyone (e.g. You have made a mistake.).
3333. When the agent is unimportant: Example: TTTThe new students’ centre was completed last week. (the people who built the centre are unnecessary information for the meaning of the sentence)
4444. The agent is common knowledge, and mentioning it would be redundant. Example: George Bush was elected in 2000.
5555. To emphasize (put importance on) the recipient (receiver) of the action: Example: aaaa. Only Jane was injured in the accident; the remainder of the passengers were unhurt.(we want Jane to be the subject of the sentence and at the beginning to emphasize her importance)
b. Erina was chosen as best student, and of course this made her happy. (the teacher who chose Erina is not what we want to emphasize)
6666. To connect ideas in different clauses more clearly: Example : T T T The music was being played too loud by the students, who were finally asked to turn it down.
7777. To make generic statements, announcements, and explanations: aaaa. Something should be done about the traffic jams in this town. bbbb. It's said that it's going to rain tonight.(Often, people will say, 'They say that it's going to rain tonight', the they being the weatherman.)
Active and Passive Active and Passive Voice Quiz Voice Quiz
1)Thomas feeds his dog. Active / Passive 2) The dog is fed by Thomas. Active / Passive 3) The family went to the beach. Active / Passive 4) The letter was written by Marshall. Active / Passive
5) The dog was hit by the car. Active / Passive 6) The problem was solved. Active / Passive 7) The stunt man risked his life. Active / Passive 8) The fire was extinguished. Active / Passive
99) The car was being cleaned by its owner. Active / Passive 110) It gets cold here during the winter. Active / Passive
DDirections: Rewrite the passive voice sentences as active voice sentences. PPassive: The dog was hit by the car. Active The car hit the dog
Passive: The house will be built by the construction crew in five months. Active The construction crew will built the house in five months
1. Everybody ___ by the terrible news yesterday. A)shocked B)was shocked 1. Everybody ___ by the terrible news yesterday. A)shocked B)was shocked 2. Mr. Green ___ at the University since A)has been teaching B)has been taught 2. Mr. Green ___ at the University since A)has been teaching B)has been taught 3. Not much ___ about the accident since that time. A)has said B)has been said 3. Not much ___ about the accident since that time. A)has said B)has been said 4. A new book ___ by that company next year. A)will publish B)will be published
5. He ___ the girl's name now. A)remembers B)is remembered 5. He ___ the girl's name now. A)remembers B)is remembered 6. The secretary ___ to her new boss yesterday. A)introduced B)was introduced 6. The secretary ___ to her new boss yesterday. A)introduced B)was introduced 7. Our plan ___ by the members of the committee. A)is being considered B)is considered 7. Our plan ___ by the members of the committee. A)is being considered B)is considered 8. He ___ responsible for the accident. A)was holding B)was held
9. A prize ___ to whoever solves this equation. A)will be giving B)will be given 9. A prize ___ to whoever solves this equation. A)will be giving B)will be given 10. When the manager arrived, the problem __. A)had already been solved. B)had already solved.