Unit 12/1 Stonehenge was built in prehistoric times. It was probably constructed as a place of worship. The Passive
Unit 12/1 Many of its stones have been stolen over the years. It is visited by a lot of tourists every year. The Passive
Unit 12/2 Mrs Archers ruby ring was stolen from her house last night. The Passive (We do not know who stole the ring.)
Unit 12/3 Rolls Royce cars are made in England. The Passive (It is not important to know who makes the cars.)
Unit 12/4 The cows are milked once a day. The Passive (It is obvious that the farmer milks the cows.)
Unit 12/5The Passive Two teenagers were seriously injured in a car accident last night.
EXERCISES Put the verbs in brackets into the correct passive tense. Change the sentences into the passive.
1. A: Who looks after your garden for you? B: It ________ after (look after) by my brother. 2. A: Thats a beautiful dress. Where did you buy it? B: Actually, it _________ (make) for me bymy aunt. 3. A: Have you typed that letter yet, Miss Brown? B: It ____________ (type) right now, sir. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct passive tense. Passive VoiceExercises 1 is looked was made is being typed
4. A: Did you make the coffee when you got to work this morning? B: No, it ____________________ (already/make) by the time I got there. 5. A: Are you going to pick up the children today? B: No, they ________________ (pick up) by Roger. Ive already arranged it. 6. A: Where is your watch? B: I broke it. It ______________ (repair) at the moment. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct passive tense. Passive VoiceExercises 1 had already been made are being picked up is being repaired
7. A: Has the new furniture for my bedroom arrived? B: No, it _________________ (not/deliver) yet. 8. A: They are building a new sports centre in town. B: I know. It ____________ (open) by the mayor next month. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct passive tense. Passive VoiceExercises 1 hasnt been delivered will be opened
1. Someone is repairing the garden fence. _____________________________ 2. Do they teach Latin at this school? ________________________ 3. She hit him on the head with a tennis racquet. ____________________________________ 4. Who built the Pyramids? ___________________________ Change the sentences into the passive. Passive VoiceExercises 2 The garden fence is being repaired. Is Latin taught at this school? He was hit on the head with a tennis racquet. Who were the Pyramids built by?
5. A lot of children use computers nowadays. ________________________________ _________ 6. Jill hasnt done the housework yet. ___________________________________ 7. They may not deliver the parcel today. _______________________________ Change the sentences into the passive. Passive VoiceExercises 2 Computers are used by a lot of children nowadays. The housework hasnt been done by Jill yet. The parcel may not be delivered today.
REVIEW OF THE PASSIVE We use the passive: when the agent is unknown, unimportant or obvious from the context when the action itself is more important than the agent