Presentation on theme: "Chapter 7 The Aftermath of War"— Presentation transcript:
1Chapter 7 The Aftermath of War Theme 1 Reconstruction(p )
21. Summarize what Reconstruction is. Reconstruction is the time after the Civil War when the 11 Confederate states needed to be repaired and readmitted to the union.
32. What issues about Reconstruction needed to be resolved? How should the states be readmittedWhat rights should be granted to former slavesShould the former Confederates be punished
43. Create a Venn Diagram compare/contrast Lincoln’s and Johnson’s Reconstruction plan. Lincoln JohnsonSoutherners treated fairly appointed provisional governorSecession unconstitutional / illegal Southerners take oath of loyaltySouthern states had never really left State voters agree secession illegalEstablish loyal state governments States refuse pay back wartime debtowed to Confederate govt.States had to abolish slavery byratifying 13th AmendmentbothBoth wanted southern states to return to UnionWanted states to abolish slavery
54. Explain why the dream of forty acres and a mule was so upsetting to African Americans. It reminded African Americans that the federal government had freed the slaves but it left them without the resources they needed to truly live freely.
65. Who led the Freedmen’s convention? Abraham Galloway
76. List Three goals African Americans were seeking at the Freedmen’s convention. They wanted legal rightsLaws enforcing fair labor contractsThe right to vote
87. What came about as a result of the NC state convention? Met Andrew Johnson’s demandThey nullified the state’s decision to secedeThey voted for the 13 AmendmentThey voided the state’s war debt
98. What is the Black Codes?Restriction placed on African Americans by whitesBarred from testifying in courtOwning guns w/o special permitsVotingw/o jobs blacks could be arrested and forced to work for whites
109. Which party won the majority congressional seats in 1866? Northern Republicans won three-quarters of the seats.
1110. What new plan did the Republicans institute? Congressional Reconstruction
1211. How did the new Reconstruction plan differ from Johnson’s? The new plan called for southern states to give blacks the rights of citizens and to revise their constitutions to allow blacks to vote before they could re-enter the Union
1312. What was the Freedmen’s Bureau? It was set up after the Civil War to help former slaves find jobs, go to school, and get established.
1413. Who was Henry Berry Lowry? He was a famous outlaw and the leader of the Lowry Gang.
1514. How did the Civil War burden the Lumbee Indians? The Lumbee Indians were conscripted to the army and were usually sent to Wilmington to do back breaking labor on the city’s forts.Many Lumbee men would hide out in the woods to avoid serving the whites.
1615. Why did the Lumbee Indians raid stores/plantation during and after the Civil War? The Lumbees raided stores and plantations because their loss of manpower led to food shortages
1716. How did the conflict turn violent between the law and Lowry Gang? Local militia executed the gang’s supporters and family members, and the gang killed several local leaders. Many members were killed or captured for large rewards.
1817. List the results of the 1868 State Constitution. William Holden elected governor.Had to ratify state constitutionAbraham Galloway was elected senator along with 2 other blacks to include 17 representatives.Had to ratify the 14th AmendmentJuly they didJuly NC part of the Union
1918.What was the main reason the Senate tried to impeach President Andrew Johnson? Andrew Johnson dismissed Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton. Johnson did not have the authority to do this.
2019. Why was President Johnson not impeached? The senate voted 35 to 19 and was one vote short of two- thirds majority to convict and remove Johnson.
21What is the 13th 14th,15th Amendment 13th Slavery is outlawed.14th American citizens of all races are guaranteed basic rights. No state can take away.15th Black men have the right to vote