Presentation on theme: "WHAT ARE MODALS ? Will,would,shall,should,can,could,may,might,must,ought,need,dare & used to are called MODALS AUXILIARIES or MODALS. in most cases they."— Presentation transcript:
WHAT ARE MODALS ? Will,would,shall,should,can,could,may,might,must,ought,need,dare & used to are called MODALS AUXILIARIES or MODALS. in most cases they indicate present or future time : He should come and see me. (present) he could come and see me tomorrow (Future) However should have and could have refer to the past
Certainty or desire e.g. I shall give up chocolate for Lent. In formal rules and regulations e.g. Racism and discrimination shall not be tolerated in this building. In questions to ask for instructions and decisions, e.g. What shall I do? When shall we come and see you? Shall we go to the cinema this evening?
assumption e.g. Oh, that will be John on the phone. request e.g. Will you go to the shop for me? intention or willingness e.g. “I will take rohan’s gift then”. order e.g. Will you please shut up?
Expectation e.g. If you like Picasso, you should enjoy the exhibition. suggestion, advice, opinion e.g. You should have more driving lessons before you take the test. criticism (can use ought to) e.g. You shouldn’t shout at your mother like that. uncertainty e.g. Should I ask her out on a tour?
request e.g. Would you go to the shop for me? would like - offer/invitation e.g. Would you like a cup of tea? By adjectives doubtful, unlikely, to emphasize a tentative action e.g. It’s doubtful that he would be there in time of need. certainty in a suppressed conditional sentence e.g. I would never agree to that.
ability e.g. Can you play the piano? asking for and giving permission e.g. “Mom, can I go the cinema tonight?” offer e.g. Can I help you? request, instruction e.g. Can you switch on the light for me? capability e.g. The summers in England can be really unpredictable.
possibility or uncertainty e.g. He could be the one for you! request e.g. Could you switch on the light for me? suggestion e.g. We could go on a picnic this afternoon. asking for and giving permission e.g. “Could I use your phone?” with comparative adjectives or impossibility e.g. She could study harder.
possibility or uncertainty e.g. you may have heard about Akbar. e.g. Mohan may reach here any time asking for and giving permission (less usual, more formal) e.g. “May I use your phone?” “Yes, of course you may” Blessings e.g. may you live long
possibility or uncertainty e.g. the doctor said that the patient might recover unreal situation e.g. If I knew her better, I might invite her to the party. Suggestion e.g. you might consult a doctor. Specifying an aim e.g. he died so that his country might survive.
when you feel sure something is true e.g. The tennis match must be over by now. necessity, personal feelings e.g. I haven’t spoken to Liz for ages. I must give her a call. e.g. I must finish this work by evening. order, strong suggestion e.g. You must stop smoking or you’ll get lung cancer.
expectation e.g. If you like Picasso, you ought to enjoy the exhibition. recommendation e.g. You ought to have more driving lessons before you take the test. criticism e.g. You ought not to shout at your mother like that. Moral and social duty e.g. you ought to have informed the police.
To question on no courage e.g. I dare not enter the headmaster’s office. To question on courage e.g. Dare you catch a lion by its tail. e.g. how dare you insult me.
1)SHALL: WE ………… KNOW THE RESULT TOMORROW. YOU……………. NOT ENTER THE KITCHEN WITH MUDDY SHOES. YOU …………..DO AS I SAY. 2) WILL HE ………… COME HERE AT DIWALI. THEY………….. NEVER LEARN GOOD MANNERS. WORK HARD OR YOU …………. FAIL.
3) SHOULD: 1) HE SAID THAT THEY ………… GO THERE. 2)WE…………OBEY OUR PARENTS. 3)WE…………HELP THE POOR. 4) WOULD: 1)I …………..LIKE TO HAVE COFEE. 2)I……………RATHER STARVE THAN BEG. 3)…………..THAT I WERE A KING
5) CAN: 1)I SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. 2) I GO HOME? 3)I LIFT THIS HEAVY TABLE. 6) COULD: 1)I SWIM WHEN I WAS YOUNG. 2) I CHANGE MY SEAT,PLEASE? 3)SHE ASKED ME IF SHE MEET ME.
7) MAY : 1) YOU LIVE LONG. 2)WE EAT SO THAT WE LIVE. 3)HE HAVE REACHED KANPUR. 8) MIGHT : 1)YOU CONSULT A DOCTOR. 2)THE PRICES FALL DOWN A LITTLE. 3)HE COME, IF HE GETS TIME.
9) MUST: 1)A SERVANT OBEY HIS MASTER. 2)WE SERVE OUR COUNTRY. 3)WE PAY THE TAXES. 10) OUGHT : 1)WE TO OBEY OUR TEACHERS. 2)YOU TO CONSULT A DOCTOR. 3)YOU TO HAVE INFORMED THE POLICE.
11) NEED: 1) YOU GO HOME SO SOON? 2) YOU SPEAK SO FAST? 3) YOU TAKE SO MUCH LUGGAGE WITH YOU? 12) DARE : 1)HOW YOU INSULT ME? 2) HE TELL HIS FATHER THE WHOLE STORY. 3)HE IS A COWARD. HE GO IN THE DARK AT NIGHT.
13) USED TO : 1.IN THE PAST PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT THE EARTH WAS FLAT. 2.BEFORE MARRIAGE, HE FIGHT A LOT. 3.THERE BE A BIG BUILDING AT THE CORNER.