Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait. Working in the UK International Student Advisers and Careers Consultants, King’s College London.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: " Working in the UK International Student Advisers and Careers Consultants, King’s College London."— Presentation transcript:

1 Working in the UK International Student Advisers and Careers Consultants, King’s College London

2 Contents Introduction Working during your studies: rules reminder Tier 2 Doctorate Extension Scheme Graduate Entrepreneurs Tier 5 Useful links Question Time

3 Who Are We? Student Advisers – part of the Student Information and Advice Receive regular immigration training Members of UKCISA Provide advice on immigration and working during and after studies See our website for further details:

4 Tier 4: A reminder of the rules Those on a Tier 4 visa can work: Part time (up to 20 hours per week) in term time and Full time in the vacations (NB the summer is not a vacation for Masters students) Full time after the end of your course (after the end date as stated on your CAS) for up to 4 months or until your leave expires, whichever is sooner Cannot be self-employed, take up a full-time, permanent role or work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer Work is “paid or unpaid!”

5 Check your visa! Can only work under the conditions stated in your visa, so check the wording. No Work 10 hours per week (rather than 20) If the end date is wrong Could be an error. See a Student Adviser as it may be possible to correct this.

6 The basics about Tier 2 Most common category for skilled overseas workers. Recent graduates can switch into Tier 2 from within the UK provided that: You have an offer of a “graduate level” job earning over £20,300 (or the agreed rate for the job if higher) AND Job is with a registered employer (on UKBA’s Register of Sponsors) willing to sponsor you AND You have successfully completed your degree (or at least 1 year of a PhD)…..AND Your leave has not yet expired

7 Other relevant factors for Tier 2 applications Must be able to meet the maintenance requirements (currently £900 in an account for 90 days, but this could increase) AND Must have had valid leave throughout your course (i.e. should not have been studying illegally!) AND If you were financially sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency during your course, you must obtain permission from your sponsor to stay in the UK

8 What are the benefits for students of the ‘new’ Tier 2? Employers will not have to meet the Resident Labour Market Test (i.e. will not have to prove there is nobody in the EU who can do the job better than you!) If employers employ a new graduate already in the UK they will not have to use a Certificate of Sponsorship from a limited quota (you can an “unrestricted COS”) After 6 years can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (though this may change…)

9 Doctorate Extension Scheme Will allow you to stay in the UK for up to 12 months after the end of your course to look for work Must apply from the UK to extend leave under Tier 4 Must apply within the last 60 days of your studies Can work without restriction after end of the course except work as a professional sportsperson/ coach or doctor/dentist in training

10 More Information If you needed ATAS for your course and this has now expired, must get it again before you apply for DES “End of course” determined by King’s as the date of award – check your CAS Apply online, and tick the box to confirm you’re applying for the DES You need £2000 in an account for 28 days to apply

11 Graduate Entrepreneurs Designed to “ensure that genuine student entrepreneurs with a great idea will be able to stay on in the UK to develop their business proposition” (David Cameron) 10 places available for King’s students Applicants need to be recommended and sponsored through their university via Careers – Can start work as a self-employed person once application granted – tied to Tier 4 conditions before that See for more

12 Tier 5: Youth Mobility Scheme Open to those aged 30 or under from: –Australia – 32500 places –Canada – 5000 places –Hong Kong (places tbc) –Japan – 1000 places –Monaco – 1000 places –New Zealand – 10,000 places –South Korea – 1000 places (need CoS) –Taiwan – 1000 places (need CoS) –British Nationals Overseas – no limit

13 The basics about Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Will allow you to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months Can take up any form of employment except work as a doctor in training, professional sportsperson or entertainer, or self-employment (except under limited circumstances) BUT Cannot extend your stay after 24 months and Must return home to make initial application – cannot extend from student/Tier 4 visa within UK Maintenance requirements apply

14 Tier 5: Government Authorised Exchange Category is for “people coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice, and to experience the social and cultural life of the UK.” Must not be filling a “job vacancy” Can allow you to undertake professional training/work experience in the UK that is not allowed under Tier 2 Maximum time on scheme is 24 months Must be sponsored – extensive list of overarching bodies on UKBA website. Contact sponsor directly to see if they can sponsor you.

15 So how do I apply? Check that your employer/sponsor is listed, or contact one of the organisations on the list to see if they can sponsor you for your chosen job/internship Can switch from your Student/Tier 4 visa without leaving the UK once degree awarded Require a certificate of sponsorship from a registered Tier 5 (GAE) sponsor Maintenance requirements apply

16 Where to seek help During studies: Students Advisers can help with issues related to working during your studies After studies: Student Advisers can guide you on procedures and options but are not able to check applications for work visas Your sponsor may be able to assist with your application – check with your HR/Personnel department May wish to seek advice from an immigration lawyer – see to find a local law

17 Handy Links – forms, guidance and list of Tier 2 and Tier 5 – useful additional guidance for students and recent - us! – how to find professional (regulated) immigration – specialist site from The Careers Group for all things Find us on Facebook!

18 Questions? Or feel free to email us:

Download ppt " Working in the UK International Student Advisers and Careers Consultants, King’s College London."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google