Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Project Management: Scope and Work Breakdown Thomas L. Warren Technical Writing Program Oklahoma State.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Project Management: Scope and Work Breakdown Thomas L. Warren Technical Writing Program Oklahoma State."— Presentation transcript:

1 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Project Management: Scope and Work Breakdown Thomas L. Warren Technical Writing Program Oklahoma State University Stillwater, OK echwr

2 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Overview of Talk Definition and uses of project management Project Scope Work Breakdown Structure Conclusion Questions/Discussion

3 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Definition Management Applying knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to meet or exceed stake holder's needs and expectations Project A temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product or service Definite beginning and ending (temporary) Different from all other products or services in some way (unique)

4 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Key Issues and Topics & ntegration (project plan development and execution, change management) Collaborative project management and development (team dynamics) & Scopelimitations (planning, defining, verifying, change control)

5 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Topics, cont. Time (activity definition, sequencing, duration, scheduling, controlling) Cost (resources planning, estimating, budgeting, controlling) Quality (quality planning and assurance, quality control)

6 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Topics, cont. Human Resources (organizational planning [job descriptions, roles, responsibilities], hiring/firing, team development) Communications (planning, information distribution, performance reporting, closure)

7 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Topics, cont. Risk (identification, quantification, response development and control) Management of legal issues and proprietary information (intellectual property) Procurement (planning, solicitation, source, contract administration, contract close-out)

8 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Sample Projects Develop new product or service Change structure, style, or staffing of an organization Develop/acquire new or modified information system Develop appropriate format for conveying needed information Develop a five-year plan

9 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Parts of Plan What will be done and for whom? Who will do what? When must it all be done? When must the pieces be done? How much will it cost? What are the deliverables? What happens if... ?

10 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Focus of Talk Project Scope Listing of all deliverables Tells what the project will and will not cover Work Breakdown Structure Identify specific tasks Estimate time required

11 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Scope: Inputs Scope Statement: Written statement that is basis for future project decisions ConstraintsAssumptionsExpert Input

12 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Scope: Constraints Project limits Time? Money/budget? Staff? Customer requirements (contractual provisions)? Environment?

13 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Scope: Assumptions Organization goals and objectives Product goals and objectives Customer needs Product complexity Project authorization (charter) Key personnel availability

14 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Scope: Expert Input Managers from similar projects Other organizational personnel (purchasing, human resources, e.g.) Consultants Stakeholders Professional and technical associations Industry groups

15 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Scope Control Key element to prevent Scope creep Establish specific procedure for changing scope Changes submitted by whom? Changes approved by whom? Areas that cannot be changed? Scope change notification

16 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) Could use previous, similar WBS as template (MIL-HDBK-881 military WBS template for defense materials items) Sub-divide project deliverables into smaller and smaller activities Identify major deliverables (from Scope statement) Use as criteria for subdividing adequate cost and duration Identify how work will be defined, organized, and accomplished Activity list is deliverable

17 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003

18 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Sample Activities List for FORUM 2003 Call for papers Poster Delegate folder Preliminary Programme PreSeedings Supplemental PreSeedings Final Programme Planning Guide for delegates Supplemental Final Programme PostHarvest

19 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Call for papers Activities List Logo and art Author Instructions Produce copy Design and layout cover and pages Format files Send for proofing Proof files Return for correcting Correct files Send to vendor Print Distribute

20 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Screen shot of Word WBS for three publications.

21 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Network Precedence Diagrams Each small step could be dependent on another small step and in tern be the prerequisite for yet another one Types of diagrams Precedence Diagramming Method (PDM)Used by project management software such as MS Project Arrow Diagramming Method (ADM)

22 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 START ACB DEF FINISH Precedence Diagramming Method

23 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Screen shot of MS Project for one part of Final Programme Note Precedence

24 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Finish B O OO OO O Start A D E C F Arrow Diagramming Method

25 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 What you get when you click on Network Diagram

26 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Types of Dependencies 4 kinds of dependencies Finish-to-start: Complete previous before beginning new. Most common. Finish-to-finish: Complete new depends on completing previous Start-to-start: Start new depends on start of previous Start-to-finish: Complete new depends on start previous. Rarely used

27 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Estimating Time Past experience Should include a range 2 weeks 2 days Time = 8-12 working days Could indicate probability 15% probability finish in 3 weeks 85% probability finish within 3 weeks

28 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Estimating Time, cont. Calendars Periods when work is allowed Different types of calendars Normal business hours (1 shift/day) 2-3 shifts per day Consider when planning calendars Vacations National, state, etc. holidays

29 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Estimating Time, cont. Reserve Time (contingency) Extra time frametypes Reserve Contingency Buffer Acknowledge schedule risk Could be Percent of estimated duration Fixed number of work period Can reduce/eliminate as get more precise data Document reserve time as done for other data/assumptions

30 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Sample: Paper Due Select topic Narrow topic Determine research plan Collect data Analyze data Organize data Write draft Edit/Proofread Revise Proofread Hand-in How long has it taken you to do each activity in the past?

31 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Conclusion Project management is an important part of any technical communicators job Project management allows you to control your project Projects have beginnings and endings Management means handling the middle part You dont need to be a manager to need to know project management (you manage your own projects in school and on-the-job Good scheduling the key to successful management)

32 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Questions

33 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Thank You Please feel free to contact me at Or see our web page

34 Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003


Download ppt "Southwest Missouri State University 11 February 2003 Project Management: Scope and Work Breakdown Thomas L. Warren Technical Writing Program Oklahoma State."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google