1940s A Look Into the Past Speakers on Glenn Millers In the Mood Click to Advance
Crossroads Store, Juke Joint and Gas Station, Melrose, Louisiana, 1940
Adolf Hitler visits Paris with architect Albert Speer (left) June 23, 1940. Hitlers army had captured Paris, and he came to admire his new city.
Workers Parking Lot at San Diego Airplane Factory, 1940
This picture was taken on September 16, 1941 at Vinnitza, Ukraine and was found in the personal file of a German Einsatzgruppen soldier. On the back of the picture he had noted, This is the last Jew of Vinnitza. 28,000 Jews from the city and surrounding area were shot on that day by the Einsatzkommando (a sub- group of the five Einsatzgruppen mobile killing squads responsible for systematically killing Jews and Soviet political activists).
Curtis P-40 Flying Tiger Squadron. The Flying Tigers Were Credited With Destroying Nearly 300 Enemy Aircraft While Losing Only 14 Pilots on Combat Missions
Consolidateds B-24 Liberator – The B-24 was built in two Consolidated plants. Production was also licensed to Douglas, North American and Ford. At its peak, Fords Willow Run plant was producing 428 planes a month. A total of over 18,000 planes were produced by the five plants. Today, only three B-24s remain in flying condition and there are only about 10 in museums. The planes were flown by the United States, Britain, Canada, Australia, South Africa and India. A good number of the museum planes were salvaged from Indias bone yard.
WASPs (Womens Air Service Pilots) walking past the B-17 flying fortress known as Pistol Packing Mama. In WW2 they shuttled airplanes from factories, served as test pilots and delivered supplies by air. They trained out of Avenger Field in Sweetwater, Texas, now the home of the WASP museum.
Bell Aircraft Corporation P-63 Kingcobras undergoing final Inspection at the Niagara Falls, New York factory. The planes were built for Russia and provided under the Lend-Lease program. Air Transport Command ferry pilots, including U.S. women pilots of the WASP program flew the planes to Great Falls, Montana and then onward via the Alaska-Siberia Route through Canada to Nome, Alaska where Soviet ferry pilots, many of them women, would take delivery of the aircraft and fly them over the Bering Strait to Russia. A total of 2,397 aircraft were delivered. The United States restricted the theaters that the planes could be used in, however, once the Russians had possession of the planes, they used them where they pleased, perhaps they couldnt understand English. On the other hand it may have been that in the midst of a war you just do what you need to do. A concept not foreign to American commanders like Patton and MacArthur