Presentation on theme: "--- The passive voice. A recorder is used in our English class every day."— Presentation transcript:
--- The passive voice
A recorder is used in our English class every day.
use …for play often Football is played all over the world. A camera is used for taking photos.
must plant cover with in a few years time The tree must be planted on the ground. The ground will be covered with trees in a few years time.
rob yesterday send up last year A man-made satellite was sent up into space last year. A bank was robbed yesterday.
send to right now a talk give soon They will be sent to the hospital right now. A talk will be given soon.
dig The earth is being dug now. eat up already The food has been eaten up already.
Football is played all over the world. A camera is used for taking photos. A bank was robbed yesterday. A man-made satellite was sent up into space last year. Look and find out the similarities ( ):
The tree must be planted on the ground. The ground will be covered with trees in a few years time. They will be sent to the hospital right now. A talk will be given soon. The earth is being dug now. The food has been eaten up already.
,,, be +vt.p.p. Conclusion: (1)
am is are + vt.p.p. was were +vt.p.p. aux.v. (must can could may…+ be + vt.p.p.) be(am is are)+being +vt.p.p. will be be going to be + vt.p.p. have has +been+ vt.p.p.
Turn the following sentences into the passive voice: 1. Many people speak English. 2. He bought me a new bike yesterday. English is spoken by many people. I was bought a new bike yesterday. A new bike was bought for me yesterday.
3. The boss made him do the heavy work in the old days. 4. Tom must hand in the composition after class. 5. The rain stopped. 6. The soup tastes delicious. He was made to do the heavy work in the old days. The composition must be handed in after class.
1. 2. dobe done( be 3. Conclusion: (2)
4. : to for. : givebe given to : pass show send… : buybe bought for : make draw cook mend…
5. to,, to : 1. vi.) :happen take place appear disappear… e.g. A traffic accident _________ (happen) just now. happened
2. (Link.v.) : be look seem feel sound smell taste get turn become… e.g. Peking Opera ______ (sound) beautiful. 3. e.g. The pen _____ (write) very fast. This kind of sweater ____ (sell) well. sounds writes sells
Multiple Choice: 1. If the work ____, you can go and play games. A. finished B. has finished C. will be finished D. is finished 2. It was raining heavily outside, the children were made ____ in the classroom. A. stay B. to stay C. staying D. stayed D B
3. Kate ___ the letter before her mother came into her bedroom. A. has written B. was written C. had written D. is writing 4. To make our city more beautiful, rubbish ___ into the river. A. neednt be thrown B. mustnt be thrown C. cant throw D. may not throw B C
5. I like my bike. It ___ very well. A. rides B. is riding C. is ridden D. has ridden 6. I wont come to the party unless Tom ___, too. You mean if Tom comes, youll come. A. will invite B. invites C. invited D. is invited A D
7. Everyone who heard Mr. Greens story ______ it. A. laughed at B. was laughed C. laughed D. was laughed at 8. The children must _______. A. look after B. be taken good care C. look the same D. be taken good care of D A
9. The woman still doesnt know what __ in her hometown while he was away. A. happens B. happened C. will happen D. was happened 10. I saw you were on foot this morning. Yes. My bike ___. A. is mending B. is being mended C. is mended D. is being mending B B
Fill in the blanks using right forms: 1. All the students __________ (ask) to bring a kite with them last Sunday. 2. Are many ways _____ (try) to stop people from cutting down so many trees? 3. What are on show in the museum? Some photos _____ (take) by American children. were asked tried taken
4. This coat ______ (wash) well. 5. Must the old people _________ (speak) to politely? 6. Im often _______ ( not to copy others homework. 7. He couldnt explain why dinosaurs __________ ( ). washes be spoken warned disappeared
8. Ill have my bike _______________ ( ) tomorrow. 9. Have you found your necklace _____ ( ) last week? 10. The PRC was _______ ( ) on October 1, 1949. mended/repaired stolen founded
Make dialogues or short passages accroding to the following information(using the passive voice as much as possible) what when where … 1. dialogue Topic:
2. passage To make our school more beautiful, what things must /mustnt be done? must: pick up throw collect plant grow … mustnt: throw draw use spit cut down …
Reading comprehension: Now scientists are trying to turn deserts into good land again. They want to bring water to the deserts, so people can live and grow food there. However, more and more land is becoming the deserts. Why is this happening? There are two reasonsland and wood. In many places the trees have been cut down because the land was needed for people.
In other parts, the trees are cut down because their wood is wanted. But many people dont know that in most places the trees wont be replaced. The soil in the forests is very thin, but it is protected by the trees. When the trees are cut down, the soil is washed away by the rain or blown away by the wind. Soon nothing can grow on it. The land becomes a desert.
Who is to blame for this? The answer is easy: all of us. There are just too many people in the world. The worlds population is now six billion. You might say: We dont cut down trees. Yes, but just look around. Youre probably using its products right now.
( ) 1. Scientists are trying to bring ____ to the deserts. A. food B. planes C. water D. animals ( ) 2. The ____ are important to protect the soil. A. rain B. trees C. land D. wood C B
( ) 3. In most places after the trees are cut down, ____________. A. they can grow again B. they will disappear forever C. new trees can grow better D. new forests will appear B
( ) 4. The reason for the bad cycle( ) is that _________. A. people need more land to grow food B. wood is needed for building houses C. there are too many rich people on the land D. there are too many people on the earth D
A great deal of water is needed in large cities. Some cities pump( water from wells. Some cities g__ water from lakes or rivers n______. But some cities have to bring water from lakes or rivers many miles away. Complete the passage: et earby
Water is usually b_______ to a city from a place higher than the city itself. When water is f_____ only in the lower place, it must be pumped up to the city. Then it is s____ to each home. Dams( ) are often b___ in a river to keep the water from flowing away. rought ound ent uilt
Then a new lake is formed. The city knows how much water will be n_____ and allows the extra( ) water to flow below the dam. I __ this way, the city stores water for its use. There is usually a b_______ near the dam. Much important work is d___ there. For example, the water is tasted before it is piped to the city. eeded n uilding one
Fill in the blanks with the verbs using right tenses and voices: 1. Large numbers of plastic bags _______ (use) in the supermarkets every day. 2. ___ our country ____(send) up another man-made satellite last year? 3. Must the old people _________ (speak) to politely? are used Did send be spoken
4. Her grandma was still alive when he _________(take) to the hospital. 5. English ________ (speak) in many counties, but the Chinese _____ (speak) their own language. 6. Three quarters of the worlds books __________ (write) in English. was taken is spoken speak are written
7. This kind of sweater ____ (sell) well. 8. ____ Lesson 50 _________ (teach) next week? sells Willbe taught