Presentation on theme: "Unit 1 Grammar 2 Different parts of a sentence. donate ¥200 thousand in Sichuan earthquake generous? It is _________ of Liu Xiang _______________. Liu."— Presentation transcript:
donate ¥200 thousand in Sichuan earthquake generous? It is _________ of Liu Xiang _______________. Liu Xiang is ________________ to __________________. generous to donate money generous enough to donate money
Liu Xiang is generous. He donated a lot of money. subject predicate predicative object
subject 1) You worry too much at times. 2) A year is divided into 12 different star signs. 3) The book on the desk is mine.
predicate 1) They work hard. 2) He is writing. 3) The music sounds beautiful. 4) You like to dream about everything.
predicative 1) You are a student. 2) That river is very deep. 3) His face turned red. 4) The weather gets colder and colder. Tips link verb) feel taste sound smell look turn get become seem keep grow stay
object ( direct or indirect ) 1. You have many friends. 2. We all like him. 3. He works in the factory.
1) You buy your friends nice gifts. 2) He gave me some books. DO IO DO IO Tips give show pass send buy make…
Expand the sentences The first student in each group says the first sentence. And the second just adds something. Lets see which group can do the best! Eg: She read a book. …
She read a book. She read an interesting book. She read an interesting book carefully. She read an interesting book carefully in the library. She read an interesting book carefully in the library yesterday. Expand the sentences attributive adverbial
attribute 1. Millie is reading the school newsletter. 2. This is a difficult problem. 3. There are many apple trees. 4. The man in the classroom is our new teacher.
adverbial 1) Horses run fast. 2) You are selfish at times. 3) They usually get up at six oclock in the morning.
1.The problem made me very unhappy. 2.We call the baby panda Xi Wang. predicative object
1.The problem made me very unhappy. 2.We call the baby panda Xi Wang. object complement
object complement 1.We all call him Tom. 2.Could you please keep the classroom clean? Tips call, make, keep, name…
1. Amy wants to travel around the world. 2. Mr Li is angry now. 3. An energetic person has a lot of energy. 4. His jokes made me happy. 5. My mother bought me a new bike in the supermarket yesterday. Exercises : 1 Exercises : 1 Tell what sentence elements the underlined parts are. Subject (S) Verb (V) Predicative (P) Direct object (DO) Indirect object (IO) Object complement (OC) Adverbial Attributive S S S S S V P V V V DO OC IO Adverbial Attributive V
1.My sister works. 2.Sam has many friends. 3.Simon is a boy. 4.Daniel lends me a pen. 5.Amy finds English very useful. 6.Justin can make good friends easily. 7.Would you like to show me a photo of yours? 8.Is Paul a hard-working student in your class? subject object predicative direct-object object complement adverbial indirect-object attributive Exercises : 2 Exercises : 2 Tell what sentence elements the underlined parts are.
1.She felt very worried. Predicative 2.This is a helpful book. Attributive 3.Ricky helped with the charity show. Subject 4.Lots of people knew about the advertisements. Predicate 5. She showed us a new TV set. Direct-object 6. The students consider Mrs. Wu the best teacher. Object complement 7. He bought his son nice presents. Indirect-object 8. Do you want your coffee black? Object complement _________ __________ __________________________________________ __________________ ______________________ __________ ________ Exercises : Exercises : Tell which part of the sentence is the sentence element I show you
More exercises Can you finish Exercise C1 & C2 on Page 16 and 17 now ?
1. a. He is a teacher of English. b. Her father is English. 2. a. They promise to meet our needs. b. He needs to buy some books.
3. a. Only three of us went there. b. He was the only foreigner. 4. a. A meeting will be held in this square. b. They bought a square table. 5. a. The red flags waved in the winds. b. A great wave sank the ship.
6. a. Mr. Wang works very hard. b. This is a hard question. 7. a. We are close friends. b. Those shops close at five. c. The summer vacation is drawing to a close. 8. a. He speaks English well. b. Well, We have arrived home c. He isnt feeling well today.
9. a. John runs very fast. b. This is a fast car. c. Theyll fast ( ) tomorrow. 10. a. We consider your opinions quite right. b. In China traffic keeps on the right. c. I am glad you guessed right.
Rule: 1.Three students a group, 2. One student thinks of a word or a phrase to be the Subject; another thinks of a word or a phrase to be the Predicate; the last student thinks of a word or a phrase to be the Object; 3. Then form the three parts together to make up a sentence. (Write them down in your Exercise Books) 4. Lets see which group has the most or the best sentences. You can also add something more.
Homework 1.Review different parts of a sentence and be able to give some examples for each part. 2. Do some exercises in the workbook. 3. Use suitable words to complete the following sentences. 1. I feel __________ at times. 2. ____ likes to dream about everything. 3. Mille is a ____________ girl. 4. Jim always buys ____ for his friends. 5. She looks __________ in red. 6. We should keep our classroom ________. 7. I often play football ___________. Predicative Subject Attributive D-object Predicative Object complement Adverbial
Use suitable words to complete the following sentences. I feel __________ at times. 1. __________ likes to dream about everything. 2. Mille is a ____________ girl. 3. Jim always buys ____________ for his friends. 4. She looks __________ in red. 5. We should keep our classroom ___________. 6. I often play football ______________. tired/sad etc. Predicative She/Peter etc. Subject careful/nice etc. Attributive gifts/books etc. Direct object nice/lovely etc. Predicative clean/tidy etc. Object complement for 3 hours /at school etc. Adverbial