Presentation on theme: "Winners Never Quit *Robust Vocabulary* Created By: Agatha Lee July 2008."— Presentation transcript:
Winners Never Quit *Robust Vocabulary* Created By: Agatha Lee July 2008
techniques Techniques are routines or methods that help you do something.
Coach Shelby taught me some climbing techniques. Do you have any techniques to help you do well at sports? techniques
* What techniques do you use to help you get your homework done? * Name some sports or games that you need special techniques. * Tell about a chore you do at home. What special technique do you use to get it done? techniques
specially If something has been made just for you, then it has been made specially for you. This gift is specially for you.
Helen’s boots were made specially for her. Would a cast for a broken arm be made specially for you? Would a pencil be made specially for you? specially
* Tell about some things that are specially made for someone. * Tell about a time when you made something specially for someone. * Name some things that are not specially made for someone. specially
struggle Struggle means you try extra hard to do something.
The mountain climber had to struggle to climb Mount Everest. Would you struggle if you had to learn a new language? struggle
* Tell about a time when you had to struggle to do something. * Is it fun to struggle with something new? * What does it feel like when you have to struggle to hear or see something? struggle
traction When you walk up a hill or across some ice, traction is what keeps you from sliding.
My mom’s spiked boots gave her traction. Would you need traction to ride your bike on a rough rode? Would you need traction to ride your bike on a slippery uphill road? traction
* How can your shoes help you get traction in an ice rink? * What are some kinds of surfaces that make it hard to get traction? traction
agile Agile means you can move quickly and easily.
Mia was good at playing soccer because she was agile. Do you have to be agile to play checkers? Do you have to be agile to play basketball? agile
* Name some animals you would describe as agile. Name some animals that are NOT agile. * How can you tell if someone is agile ? * What are some games or activities that you need to be agile to play? agile
spectator A spectator is somebody who watches a game or a show.
The spectators cheered when Mia scored a goal. Would you be a spectator if you were watching a football game or playing in a football game? spectator
* Tell about a time when you enjoyed being a spectator. * How is being a spectator different from being a student at school? * Can you be a spectator on the playground? Why or why not? spectator
competitive Competitive means you try hard to win or to be the best.
competitive Mia was a competitive player. Can you be competitive while you are sleeping? Would you be competitive if you were in a jump-rope contest?
* Can someone be too competitive? Give an example. * Tell about a time when you felt competitive. * Do you think brothers and sisters can be competitive with each other? Give an example. competitive
worthwhile Worthwhile means you think it is important.
Was it worthwhile for Mia to learn that winners never quit? Is it worthwhile to cheat? Is it worthwhile to play fairly? worthwhile
* What is something that you do that is worthwhile? * Name a job that you think is worthwhile. Why do you think that job is worthwhile? * Why is going to school worthwhile? worthwhile
My younger sister _________ when she learned how to ride a bike. A. worthwhile B. struggled C. agile D. traction
Is there a special __________ you use when making homemade bread? A. agile B. spectator C. technique D. competitive
It is __________ to listen to your parents? A. specially B. struggle C. competitive D. worthwhile
Mrs. Lee was excited because she was a ___________ at a Florida State football game. A. specially B. spectator C. agile D. traction
My new shoes had ________, which prevented me from slipping. A. agile B. spectator C. traction D. techniques
My brother and I are _________ when we play games together. A. struggle B. specially C. competitive D. worthwhile
My grandmother made a quilt _________ for me. A. specially B. agile C. worthwhile D. spectator
My grandfather is not an ________ football player. A. specially B. worthwhile C. agile D. spectator
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.