Presentation on theme: "CHURCH AND STATE IN MEDIEVAL EUROPE"— Presentation transcript:
1CHURCH AND STATE IN MEDIEVAL EUROPE REVIEW QUESTIONS
21. Boniface VII found himself locked in a struggle over the limits of monarchial authority with: Richard IIEdward IIIHenry VIHenry VPhilip the Fair
32. The papal bull Unam Sanctum declared that: Only strong monarchies could fulfill the Christian gospel.The Holy Roman Emperor could establish national churches in his realm.A new crusade was neceessary in order to unify European spiritually.Temporal authority was “subject” to the spiritual power of the Church.Only men could be priests.
43. Which of the following religious movements was most successful at assailing the late medieval church in England?HussitesWaldensiansLollardsFranciscansCathars
54. The Great Schism was supported by: Pope Boniface VIII.Charles V.Philip of France.Martin V.Pope Gregory XI.
65. Defender of Peace, written by Marsilius of Padua, depicted the pope as: A subordinate member of society.A Christ-like figure who was elected to save the world from its wickedness.The supreme ruler.The Anti-Christ.The King of Kings.
76. Pope Innocent III, under the authority of the doctrine of papal __________, declared saints, disposed of benefices, and created a centralized papal monarchy. 7. According to church doctrine, ____________ was a place of punnishment where sould would atone for venial sins. 8. In 1309, Clement V moved the papal court to ___________, an imperial city on the southeastern border of France.