Presentation on theme: "Reading. The Search for happiness 1. Can you name any famous people with disabilities you admire? What do they have in common? 2. How would you feel."— Presentation transcript:
The Search for happiness
1. Can you name any famous people with disabilities you admire? What do they have in common? 2. How would you feel if you were injured? 3. How can we find happiness in life? Pre-reading
1. What’s the topic of the TV interview? 2. What is the name of the psychologist? 3. When and Where was Sang Lang born? Dr. Brain. Happiness. She was born in Ningbo, China in Listening
began learning gymnastics got injured at the Goodwill Games. Say something about Sang Lang in different years. born in Ningbo, China starting winning competitions
( )1. The topic of the TV interview was the story of Sang Lan. ( )2. Dr Brain studies happiness. ( )3. Sang Lan became a gymnast when she was eleven years old. ( )4. Sang Lan was injured in China in 1998, which practicing for the Goodwill Games. F F T T True or False
( ) 5. Before her accident, Sang Lan’s best event was the vault. ( ) 6. Sang Lan broke her legs and will never walk again. ( ) 7. Leonardo DiCaprio visited Sang Lan in the hospital. ( ) 8. Sang Lan believes doing no work keeps her happy. F F T T
1. Before her accident,_____. 2. After the Goodwill Games in 1998,____. 3. While she was in hospital,_____. 4. Back in China,______. 5. She tells people that, _______. 6. She believes that,________. Look at C2: c b f e a d Scanning
1.What does the example of Sang Lan show us? It shows how people can find happiness even in difficult times. 2. In the opinion of Sang Lan, what’s the secret to happiness for many people? Post-reading She thinks it is to think about good things, and to focus on goals.
3. How did she stay positive? By keeping busy.
Getting up from where you fall is the most ordinary thing for a gymnast. And it’s my motto. I’ll arrange my time scientifically and work hard on my studies so as to be a winner in life.
What adjectives can you use to describe Sang Lan? … … Discussion:
Discussion patient will belief confident optimistic determination Suppose one day, you became disabled, how would you go on living?
People don’t lack strength,they lack will Hugo 人缺失的不是力量，而是意志。 ( 雨果 ) Chances favor the minds that are prepared. ----Pasteur 机遇总是垂青于有准备的人。 ( 巴斯德 ) Every man is the master of his own fortune. ----R. Steels 每个人都是自己命运的主宰者。 斯蒂尔斯
When Sang Lan got to the Goodwill Games held in New York, she felt very happy. She was a d________ athlete, who had spent many years practicing her sport. Her strongest event was the vault and she was the best in China. She hoped to win this event at the games. ecicated Summary
However, during a practice vault, this young girl made a small m_____. Her mistake cost her the ability to w___. Instead of landing on her feet, Sang landed on her head and broke her n___. She was rushed to a top hospital, and doctors said she would never walk again. istake alk eck
While in hospital, Sang had many v______, including Christopher Reeve, an actor who once played Superman. Reeve could not walk either, due to an unfortunate horse riding accident. He encouraged Sang to stay p_______ and told her that being sad wouldn’t help her get better. Her good attitude and beautiful smile. isitors ositive
Sang already knew this, and won the sympathy and admiration of people across the world with her good attitude and beautiful smile. Sang returned to China, and now studies j_________ and is also hosting a sports p___________ about the 2008 Beijing Olympics. ournalism rogramme
Sang Lan works hard at everything she does. She enjoys learning new things and has a good attitude towards life. With her positive thinking, she is a role model for young people nationwide.
Use the following questions to make up a dialogue about happiness. 1. Some people say gymnastics is a dangerous sport, and only top athletes should be allowed to try the most difficult moves. Do you agree or disagree? Activity
2. Do you think that training hard at a sport can make you more hard- working in other areas of your life? 3. Sang Lan tells people that to be happy, one must keep busy and think about positive things. Do you think this is a good way of finding happiness?
Homework: Preview the text. Finish Exercise D on Page 20.