Listen to the story of “Freddy the Frog( Ⅰ )” once and then write down the main idea. ____________________________ This story is about a singer who joined a band and became a singer.
Listen to the tape again and do the true or false exercise. 1. Freddy had changed from a man to a frog. 2. He felt lonely in his lake till he met his friends on the lily leaf. 3.The singers of the band could sing very loudly. F T T
4. Freddy thought he could sing as well as the other singing frogs. 5. Freddy was very confident about his singing. 6. He sang the song to ask the other frogs to be his friends. F F F
Listening text FREDDY THE FROG Freddy the frog dipped his long, thin legs into the water. Within a few short weeks he had changed from a small tadpole into the beautiful animal he was now. He smiled to himself. Then suddenly he heard a fine, deep sound that carried far into the darkness of
The quiet night. Freddy looked up. “Other frogs! I must try and find them,” he thought. “It’s so hard being a grown-up frog on my own.” He began to swim slowly towards the sound. Suddenly he knocked into a large lily pad. On it sat three confident frogs and they were playing instruments. Freddy climbed onto the leaf. “Can I sing with
you ?” he asked quietly. “Of course,” they said. He opened his mouth wide and began: Help! I need somebody, Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Help! When I was young and so much younger than today, I never needed anybody’s help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I’m not so self-assured. Now I find-I’ve changed my mind, I’ve opened up the doors. (Chorus) Help me if you can, I’m feeling down. And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me get my feet back on the ground. Won’t you please, please help me!
We formed a band and soon we became famous and went to Britain to give performances. Then what would happen in Britain? We would succeed or fail?
Did Freddy and his band get a great success in Britain? Yes, they got a great success and became very popular in Britain.
What’s the main idea of the story? This is a story about a band that became famous and did not like it.
Homework Express your opinion on the following questions. What do you think are the advantages of being famous? What are the advantages of not being famous? Do you think you would enjoy being famous?
1. Freddy was now quite confident when he went into a concert hall. be confident + 从句 对 …… 有信心 be confident of (about, in ) 对 …… 有信心 Language points for Reading II
He is quite confident that he’ll pass the driving text. Don’t be too confident in your own opinion. Tom is confident of his ability to overcome the difficulty.
2. He had to go to London, wear an expensive suit and give a performance to a TV camera. performance n. 表演 performer n. 表演者 perform v. 表演, 履行, 执行, 表现
They put on a performance last night. What play will be performed tomorrow? Perform your promise. The car performs well on hills. One should perform one’s duties.
3. Then things went wrong. Freddy and his band could not go out anywhere without being followed. go wrong …… 出了毛病 = Something is wrong with… = There is something wrong with… My watch went wrong yesterday. What’s wrong with you? He was done wrong. 他受了冤枉。
This song is a ballad and tells a story. Each part tells some of the story. Write down the main idea for each part. P73 Reading task
1. When his son is growing up, his father is often away and very busy. But the son wants to copy his father. 2. At ten the father is too busy to play with his son, but the son still wants to copy his father.
3. Home from college the son is too busy to talk to his father. 4. Now the father is old and retired, he finds his son is too busy to see him. He now realizes that his son has grown up just like him.