Unit 8 Sports The Olympic Games The Olympic Games Olympic motto The 29the Olympics The 27th Olympics The 1st Olympics The modern Olympics The old Olympics.
Published byModified over 4 years ago
Presentation on theme: "Unit 8 Sports The Olympic Games The Olympic Games Olympic motto The 29the Olympics The 27th Olympics The 1st Olympics The modern Olympics The old Olympics."— Presentation transcript:
The Olympic Games Olympic motto The 29the Olympics The 27th Olympics The 1st Olympics The modern Olympics The old Olympics
1.Which sport event(s) do you like to watch most? Why? Pre-reading 2. Is it important to win in a sports match? Why or why not? 3. Are the Olympic Games important to our society? Why or why not? 4. Why do athletes from so many countries want to take part in the Olympic Games? Yes, it is important to win, because it proves that you are the best and gives you confidence. Yes. It is an opportunity to show how strong your country is and how much the people in your country love sports. The athletes think it is an honour to take part in the Olympic Games, and if they do win, they will become rich and famous.
Read the following sentences and decide if they are true or false. 1.( ) In the early Olympic Games, only men were allowed to compete and watch the Games. 2.( ) The motto of the Olympic Games is “Faster, Higher, further”. 3.( ) Carl Lewis won three gold medals in the 1984 Olympic Games. 4.( ) The 27 th Olympic Games were held in Los Angeles. 5.( ) The 28 th Olympic Games will be held in Beijing. 6.( ) The Winter Olympic Games are held every three years. T F F F F F POST—READING
1. How often are the Olympic Games held? 2. How soon will the 29 th Olympic Games be held? 3. What do the five Olympic rings stand for? 4. What is the host city of the Olympics this year? Ⅰ.The every-fourth-year Olympic Games The Olympic Games are held every four years. The 29 th Olympic Games will be held in four years. The five Olympic rings stand for five continents. Athens is the host city of the Olympics this year.
1. When did the ancient Olympic Games begin? 2. Where were the Olympic Games born? 3. True or false In the early Olympics, women were allowed to compete and watch the Games. 4. What were the events for men to compete in the ancient Olympic Games ? Ⅱ.The old Olympic Games They were running, jumping and wrestling. The ancient Olympic Games began around the year 776 BC. The Olympic Games were born in Greece. 5. How long were there no Olympic Games? For centuries there were no Olympic Games after the year 393 AD.
1. When and where was the first modern Olympic Games held? 2. How many countries joined in the Olympic Games in 1896? 4. How many events were there in the 27th Olympic Games? Ⅲ.The modern Olympic Games The first Olympic Games in modern times happened in 1896 in Greece. About 13 countries. There are 300 different events in the Games. 3. How many athletes and countries joined in the Olympic Games in 2000? Over 10,000 athletes from nearly 200 countries joined in the Olympic Games in 2000.
1. What is the Olympic motto? 2. What does the motto mean? The Olympic motto is “Faster, Higher, Stronger”. It means that every athlete should try to run faster, jump higher, throw further. Ⅳ.The Olympic motto 3. How many gold medals did Carl Lewis win in the 1984 Olympic Games? He won four gold medals in track and field. 4. How many gold medals did Chinese team get in Sydney? The Chinese team got 28 gold medals.
1. What competition did China win in 2001? 2. What is Beijing ready to do for the 29th Olympic Games? (name three things) The competition to host the Olympic Games. More trees will be planted. New roads will be built. New buildings will be built. New sports venues will be built. Ⅴ.The preparation for the 29th Olympic Games
numbers in the text 776 BC 393 AD18961984 28 100002001 2008 The old Olympic Games began around the year 776BC. After about the year 393 AD the Olympic Games stopped. The first Olympic Games in modern times happened in 1896. In the 1984 Olympic Games, Carl Lewis won four gold medals The Chinese won 28 gold medals in Sydney. In 2000, over 10000 athletes from 227 countries went to Sydney for the 27th Olympic Games. In 2008, the 29th Olympic Games will be held in Beijing. China won another great competition to host the Olympic Games in 2001
How have the Olympic Games changed since the old Olympic Games were held in ancient Greece? 1. Women are allowed to take part in the Games 2. More and more countries and competitors join in the Games 3. There are more and more events in which athletes compete
Hosting the Olympic Games is a great honour and a great responsibility. Being the host of the Olympic Games will have good and bad effects on the host city. Work together and write down some of the effects. Good effects 1.People all over the world will learn about the city and its people. 2. Many sports fans will visit the city. 3. The preparations will make the city better and more beautiful.
Bad effects 1. It is very expensive to host the Olympics. Maybe the money should be used for other things. 2. Too many visitors may do harm to the environment of the city. 3. The venues and buildings may be wasted after the Olympic Games.
Write a report based on the discussion about the good effects and bad effects of the Olympics. Express your own ideas in the report. Homework: