51. UT of Puducherry hasOne Lok Sabha seatOne Rajya Sabha seatThirty member Territorial Assembly excludingthree nominated members.(d) No Legislative Council.Five Municipalities and Ten CommunePanchayats.2. The member of Lok Sabha, the thirty members to the Territorial Assembly, Chairpersons of Municipalities and Councilors to Municipalities and Commune Panchayats are directly elected through adult franchise.3. The member of Rajya Sabha is elected by the Electoral College Consisting of thirty elected members and three nominated members of Territorial Assembly.
64. The councilors of Commune Panchayats in turn 4. The councilors of Commune Panchayats in turn elect their chairperson .5. The members of the Territorial Assembly, the member of the Lok Sabha and the member of the Rajya Sabha participate in the election to the office of the President of India.6. The member of the Lok Sabha and the member of the Rajya Sabha participate in the election to the office of The Vice-President of India.
7YANAM REGIONComprises of 30 Yanam Assembly Constituency and it is a part of 01- Puducherry Parliamentary Constituency.Yanam region has one member in the Territorial Assembly.It is part of Puducherry Lok Sabha Constituency.It has One Municipality consisting of ten wards.
8ELECTION SUMMARY 1. The Electors in Yanam region have voted in General Election to Lok Sabha 13 times in 1967,1971, 1977, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1992,1996, 1998, 1999 and 2004.2. Similarly, they have voted in General Elections toTerritorial Assembly 12 times in 1964, 1969,1974,1977, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1996, 2001 and 2006.3. They have voted in bye election to 30 YanamAssembly Constituency once in September’2000.4. For the first time, they voted in the local bodyelections i.e in the year June’2006.
9Highlights of Previous Elections 1. In 1964, Sri Kamichetty Sri Parasurama vara prasadaRao Naidu was elected unanimously as M.L.A.2. The least percentage of voting in Assembly Elections is83.39% in 1991 and Highest percentage of voting is96.44% in3. Normally, there is a straight contest between twocandidates. However, the third candidate secured8.48%, 17.94% and 27.42% in years 1980, 1985 and1990 respectively.4. In 1977, Sri Kamichetty Sri Parasurama vara prasadaRao Naidu won by a margin of 66 votes against M.A.K.Zeelani. (Least Margin)
10In 1990, the difference of votes between second and third Candidates is 72 votes only. 6. In 2006, Sri Malladi Krishna Rao won against Sri Raksha Harikrishna by a margin of 6306 votes. (Highest margin). Sri Malladi Krishna Rao secured votes and Sri Raksha Harikrishna secured votes. The winning candidate has secured more than the double the votes secured by the first running candidate.In 2006, there were 11 candidates (Highest) and in , there were only 2 candidates (Lowest).8. There was no female candidate in 1964, 1969, 1977, , 1985, 1990 and There was single female candidate in 1974, 1996 and 2006 and there were two female candidates in The maximum number of votes were secured by female candidate is 61 by Smt. C.S. Jayalakshmi in 1974.9. The minimum number of votes were secured by any candidate is 6 by Shri Malladi Krishnarao in 1991.
121964Sl.NoName of the candidateSexPartyVotes1Kamichetty Sri Parasurama Vara Prasada Rao NaiduMINCUNANIMOUS1969IND22872Yarra Jagannadha Rao182919742284Maddimsetti Satya Murthy Naidu19863C.S.Jaya LakshmiFADK61
31Shri Malladi Krishna Rao – Hon’ble Minister for Revenue, Excise, Tourism, LAD and Civil Aviation , Govt of PuducherryShri Pendem Surya Prakash – the Vice Chiarman of the Yanam MunicipalityShri Gidla Chandra Rao – Chiarman of the Yanam Municipality
32YANAM MUNCIPAL COUNCIL MEMBERS Sh. M.Subba RaoGuirempeta Ward-05Sh. R. AnjaneyuluPydikondala St Ward-7Smt Ch. Venkata Lakshmi – AmbedkarNagar – Ward-02Sh. P. Hari BabuAgraharm Ward -09Sh. K. Mukunda KumarVishnalayam St. Ward -03YANAM MUNCIPAL COUNCIL MEMBERSSh K. Sathi RajuKanakalapeta – Ward-10Smt Ch. Naga LakshmiPedapudi St. Ward-08Smt S. PadmavathiFarampeta – Ward-06Smt G.Parimala DeviPillaraya St. Ward-04
33Sh. M.A.SirajuddinCongressSh.Tajuddin BashaDMKSh. M.S.Sai KumarAIADMKPhotoPhotoSh.T. Venkata RaoCPI(M)Sh. M.SubbaraoBJPSh. D. ChakravarthiCPI
351. The Electoral Roll consists of a) Mother roll published onb) Supplement 1 published onc) Supplement 2 published onThe roll is prepared with respect to as the qualifying date.The additions/deletions/modifications carried in supplement 1 have been reflected in the mother roll through computer generated print.The additions/deletions/modifications carried during continuous updation i.e. supplement 2 are carried in mother roll and supplement 1 manually through hand writing.5. Entries relating to election duty certificate is carried out in all the working copies.
366. The working copies are made ready for use as below. Polling party setsSector Officer setAsst. Returning Officer setReturning Officer setDistrict Election Officer setObserver set7. Details of the electoral roll:Number of voters : 27151Male : 12973Female : 14178Number of parts : 30Number of classified service voter : 18. Part wise electorate : (Click Here)9. Partwise Areas covered : ( Click Here)Preparation of the marked copy photos : (Click Here)
381. There are 50 control units and 80 balloting units in Yanam region. 2. For the present election, 31 control units and 62 balloting units are required.3. First level checking was carried out by authorized engineers of ECIL on (Photos)4. Zero randomization and first randomization are not applicable as there is only one assembly constituency in Yanam region.5. 2nd randomization (Click Here) and Preparation of EVMs ( Click Here) was carried out on 6/5/2009.6. Control unit data base. (Click Here)7. Ballot unit data base. (Click Here)8. EVMs allotted to polling stations : 31-CU & 62-BU (Click Here)9. Reserve EVMs :3-CU & 6-BU (Click Here)10. EVMs used for training : 3-CU & 3-BU (Click Here)
401. There are 31 polling stations including 1 auxiliary polling station for part no. 30/23A. ( Click Here)2. All the polling stations have pucca buildings as follows.a) Government schools : 18b) Government buildings : 4c) Community halls of Yanam Municipality : 8d) Municipal Kalyana Mandapam : 13. Three number of premises have two polling stations.4. All the polling stations have adequate facilities such as one entry door, one exit door, proper windows, sufficient lighting, fans, water and toilet facilities etc.5. Works such as barricading, shamianas, mobile toilet facilities, water facilities will be carried out on and
416. Maps of polling areas and polling stations 30/0130/1130/2130/0230/1230/2230/0330/1330/2330/0430/1430/23-A30/0530/1530/2430/0630/1630/2530/0730/1730/2630/0830/1830/2730/0930/1930/2830/1030/2030/2930/30
49The first level of checking of EVM was done on 4/3/2009 in the presence of the authorised engineer of ECIL. ( Click Here).2. Meetings with recognised political parties were conducted on 11/2/2009, 5/3/2009, 18/3/2009, 20/3/2009 and 21/4/2009 to brief about the following issues. (photos)a) Appointment of Booth Level Agenciesb) Verification of the roll in the presence of the BLAs andBLOsc) Model code of conductd) Restrictions regarding printing and publicatione) Use of vehicles for election campaignf) Holding of public meetings, rallies and campaigns
503. Standing Committee with representatives from political parties was constituted to oversee the enforcement of model code of conduct.4.Power Point Presentation regarding EVM and demonstration of the functioning of EVM was done to the representatives of the political parties. (Photos)5. Adequate Election briefings were given to team incharges, zonal officers, sector officers, assistant sector officers, presiding officers, assistant presiding officers, polling officers and booth level officers on various dates. (photos)6.Training was imparted to the incharges regarding checking and preparation of EVMs, conduct of elections, prepoll arrangements, post poll arrangements and counting arrangements on various dates.7.All the sector officers and assistant sector officers were given training twice by District Election Officer on 7/4/2009 and 8/4/2009 at Puducherry.
51Presiding officers and assistant presiding officers were given adequate training on 17/4/2009, 18/4/2009, 20/4/2009, 25/4/2009, 29/4/2009 and 7/5/2009. (Photos).9. Other polling personnel ie., polling offiers-2 and 3 were given training two times. (photos).10. Poll Day Data Entry Training and Mock Data Entry was carried out at NIC, Yanam on and (photos)11.Counting software training and mock counting data entry was carried out at NIC, Yanam on 6/5/2009.12. GENESYS software training and the working of the software was carried out at NIC, Yanam on and (photos)13. Thiru R.Muralidharan has imparted training to micro observers on 6/5/2009. (photos)
5214. Thiru V.Lakshmanacharyulu is placed as the incharge for the polling station management. Inspection was conducted on various dates by ARO and other officials. Final inspection was conducted on 30/4/2009 and all the polling stations have adequate facilities.15. Thiru N. Appa Rao, Commissioner, Yanam Municipality is the incharge for EVM management. EVM awareness programnme was conducted at every booth two times from 23/3/2009 to 30/4/2009. Totally, 9,693 voters had hands on experience on voting during this awareness programme. (photos)A meeting with excise officials was conducted on for joint monitoring of issues relating to illicit arrack, IMFL and other excise related items. (photos)Training and briefing session was conducted with police officials on 4/5/2009. Thiru S.K.Mohiddin, Senior Advocate has given briefing about electoral law, electoral offenses, corrupt practises and model code of conduct to police personnel. (photo).
5318. Towards voter facilitation two kiosks were set up in the ground floor of the mini civil station. A voter can find out his/her voter details depending on the door number or voter id number. A video presentation on How-To-Vote on EVM is also placed in kiosks for voter awareness. (photo)19. Toll free number will be assigned by BSNL during the last three days for the poll.
551. The conference hall in the 2nd floor of Mini Civil Station will be used as Dispatch Centre. 2. Dispatch PlanCounter 101.02.03.04.N. Appa Rao,CommissionerBetalam Kumar,Assistant.KhandavilliRamakrishna, UDCS.M. Rambabu, Peon1. Issue of Prepared EVMs2. Tendered Ballot Papers3. Indelible Ink4. Green paper Seals5. Strip Seals, Special Tags6. Issue of other Polling materials
56Counter 2 Counter 3 01. 02. 03. 04. V. Lakshmanacharyulu, DD(A) Manga Venkateswarulu,Assistant.P. Omnamassivaya,Mattaparthy Srinivasa Rao, Peon1. Issue of Prepared EVMs2. Tendered Ballot Papers3. Indelible Ink4. Green paper Seals5. Strip Seals, Special Tags6. Issue of other Polling materialsCounter 301.02.03.A.V. Krishna Rao, AssistantKotha SS Narayana, UDCMalladi Kamaraju, Daily Rated1. Issue of Prepared EVMs2. Tendered Ballot Papers3. Indelible Ink4. Green paper Seals5. Strip Seals, Special Tags6. Issue of other Polling materials
5705.06.07.08.B. Niranjana Rao, DT (R)Pesala Suryanarayana,AssistantG. Venkateswara Rao,P.Subrahmanyeswara Rao,PeonMovement of EVMs from strong room toCounters, Issue of Tender Ballot Papers,Indelible Ink, Green paper Seals, Strip sealsetc. shall issue to Counters09.10.Fernandez, V.R, M.V.I.,Rekadi Krishna Murthy, UDCRegulation of traffic on Pre-poll and Poll day11.12.S. Madhusudhana Rao, D.I.O.,B. Chandra Sekhar, D.I.A.,Communication of messages throughNICNET on pre-poll and poll day13.Ch. Subrahmaneswara Rao,UDC1) Preparation of Acquaintance and CashDisbursement on Pre-Poll and Poll day14.15.A. Satyanarayana Murthy, Asst.Donepudi Krishna Rao, LDCIssue of Final Orders of Pr.Os & PollingOfficer 1(APO) and other works asassigned by Election Unit16.17.K. Manikyala Rao, AssistantKona Gangadhara Rao, LDCIssue of Final Orders of Polling Officers 2& 3 and other works as assigned by ElectionUnit18.Eli Rama Rao, WatchmanGroup ‘ D’ Assistance to ARO.
606. EVMs replacementK.Satyanarayana, Assistant7. The SOs will be visiting all the polling stations once in every hour from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.8. The polling information is passed on to ARO through mobile phones by SOs.9. The poll data is captured through software provided by NIC.
62COUNTER No.1 (STATUTORY MATERIAL) 1. After conduct of the poll, the EVMs will be received in the Conference Hall, 2nd floor of Mini Civil Station.2. The following officials are put incharge for the receipt arrangements.COUNTER No.1 (STATUTORY MATERIAL)1) N. Appa Rao, Commissioner2) A.V. Krishna Rao, Assistant.3) Betalam Kumar, Assistant4) SM Rambabu, Peon1) Polled EVMs2) Account of votes recorded & paper seal (Form-17C)(in duplicate)3) Declaration by the P.O. before commencement ofthe Poll and after completion of the poll4) PO Diary (in duplicate) with visit sheet5) Voters Turnout Report (PS 05)6) 16 point Observer report
63COUNTER NO.2 (STATUTORY MATERIAL) (Green cover) 1) V. Lakshmanacharyulu, DD(A)2) Gogu Venkateswararao, Asst.3) Manga Venkateswarulu, Asst.4) Mattaparty Srinivasarao,Peon1) Sealed cover containing the marked copy ofElectoral roll2) Sealed cover containing the Register of voters(17-A)3) Sealed cover containing used Voter’s slips4) Sealed cover containing the used Tendered ballotPapers and the list in Form 17-B5) Sealed cover containing unused tenderedBallot papers
64COUNTER NO.3 (NON-STATUTORY MATERIAL) (Yellow cover) 1) P. Omnamassivaya,Asst.2) K. Ramakrishna, UDC3) Kotha SS Narayana,UDC4) P. Subrahmanyeswararao,Peon1) Cover containing the other copies of electoral roll (other than the marked copy)2) Cover containing the appointment letters of Polling Agent in Form – 10/Account of Entry Pass/Mock poll Certificate.3) Cover containing the EDCs (Form 12-B)4) SEALED COVER containing the list of challenged Votes in Form-145) Cover containing the list of blind and infirmelectors in Form 14-A and the declaration of thecompanions6) Cover containing the declarations obtained from electors as to their age and the list of such electors7) Cover containing the receipt book and cash, if any, in respect of challenged votes8) Cover containing unused and damaged paper seals9) Cover containing unused voter slips10)Cover containing unused and damaged special tags11)Cover containing unused and damaged strip seals12)Cover containing unused Braille ballot sheets.
65COUNTER NO.4 (Brown cover) 1) A. Satyanarayana Murthy,Assistant.2) Kona Gangadhararao,LDC3) Masigri Egulu, DRSA1) Hand book for Presiding Officer2) Manual of EVM3) Indelible ink set (with stopper having been secured on each Phial effectively with molten candle or wax applied thereon to prevent leakage or evaporation);4) Self-inking pads5) Metal seal of the presiding Officer6) Arrow cross-mark rubber stamp for marking tendered ballot paper7) Cup for setting the indelible ink
66COUNTER NO. 5 (Blue Cover- Misc. items) 1) K. Manikyalarao,Assistant..2) Donepudi Krishna Rao,LDC3) Malladi Kamaraju,DRSA.1) Voting compartment2) Metal ruler3) Table file4) Others, if any.4) B. Niranjanarao, DTR5) Pesala Suryanarayana,Asst.Collecting the Polled EVMs/P.O.Diary/Form 17C From Counter-1section and to be kept in the strongroom by Polling Station wise order.3. The reception center will start functioning from 5:00 p.m. on till the entire receipt work is completed.
681. Counting will take place in conference hall, 2nd floor of Mini Civil Station. 2. Lay out and counting center (Click Here)3. Counting supervisors and counting staff. (Click Here)4. Number of rounds required - 6 (Click Here)5. The six micro observers drafted for poll day can be used as counting micro observers on the counting day, if accepted.6. These counting micro observers will replace the second counting assistants drafted.7. The mock counting was successfully done on and using the software provided by ECI.
70The prepared EVMs to be sent to the polling stations are stored in the room beside conference hall in the 2nd floor. (photos)The room has been sealed in the presence of political party representatives and handed over to police for guard and security on 6/5/2009 (Photos)On 12/5/2009, at 1300 hrs, the strong room will be opened in the presence of the political party representatives and the EVMs are distributed to the polling parties.After conduct of the poll, these EVMs are again stored in the strong room and sealed on 13/5/2009.On 16/5/2009, the strong room is opened and EVMs will be moved to the counting centre which is located just adjacent to the strong room.
71The counting will be done as per schedule. After the counting, the used EVMs and statutory material will be stored in the strong room of the DAT located in the ground floor of the Mini Civil Station.All the other election material including unused EVMs will be stored in the strong room adjacent to counting centre on the second floor itself.
73Thiru S. Kumara Swamy, Chief Electoral Officer, Govt Thiru S.Kumara Swamy, Chief Electoral Officer, Govt. of Puducherry visited Yanam on ToThe following activities were reviewed.a) Brief review of the preparatory works already done through Power Point Presentation.b) Press Meetc) Meeting the political representativesd) Meeting with Election Work Team inchargese) Briefing the sector officers, assistant sector officers and booth level officers. ( photos for all above)
75Thiru S.D.Sundaresan, Electoral Roll Observer for Yanam Constituency has visited Yanam The following registers maintained by the booth level officers were verified. (photos)a) Field Inspection Registerb) Register of Form-6c) Register of Form-7d) Register of Form-8e) Register of Form-8Af) Proceedings of the meetings with BLAs.3. The houses containing more than 10 voters were physically inspected and verified.
78A standing committee with representatives of the recognized political parties as members has been constituted to over see the enforcement of Model code of conduct in Yanam region.A meeting with the Political parties was held and they were requested to adhere to model code of conduct strictly. Further a copy of the model code of conduct and FAQ prepared by ECI was given to them for reference.At the Regional Level Model code of conduct is monitored, by a team under Shri B. Niranjana Rao, Deputy Tashildar (Revenue)-cum-Executive Magistrate with help of Sub-Inspector of Police and other police personnel.At the Sector level, Sector Officers and Assistant Sector Officers monitor MCC.At the area level, MCC is monitored by Booth Level Officers.
80Step 1: Identification of areas prone to intimidation/threat The following three areas were identified to be vulnerable.a. Savithri Nagarb. Guirempetac. KanakalapetThe following 2 persons identified as trouble makers andbinding over proceedings were initiated against them.a) Thirukoti Mohana Rao, Farampetab) Nakkala Edukondalu, MettacuruStep 2: Identification of the trouble makers/reasons forvulnerability
81Savithri Nagar and Guirempeta hamlets consists of predominately fishermen community. In these hamlets it was reported that there is likely hood of village Headmen intimidating the voters, in case the voters do not toe the decision taken by them.In Kanakalapeta area the problem is mainly due toexistence of rival groups. The rival groups are likely tointimidate the normal voters.Step: 3: Preventive actionThe trouble makers were identified by the Police and preventive action has been initiated by placing a complaint under section 107 and 109 as the case may be.Further, The above three areas have the following five booths.
8230/14 .. Community hall, Savithri Nagar 2. 30/15.. Government Primary School, Savithri Nagar3. 30/13.. Government Primary School, Guirempeta4. 30/29.. Government High School, Kanakalapeta5. 30/30.. Government Primary School, KanakalapetaApart from the above five polling stations, Central BoysSchool, Yanam (Polling Stations 30/21 and 30/22) andGovernment Primary School Agraharam (30/28) aresensitive for the following reasons.1. People belonging to difference community vote atthese centers.2. Large number of electorate
84There are 3 vulnerable areas and two sensitive areas in Yanam as below:Savithri Nagar (Vulnerable)Guirempeta (Vulnerable)Kanakalapeta (Vulnerable)Central Boys School (Sensitive)Agraharam (Sensitive)Savithri nagar, Kankalapeta and Central Boys School as twoPolling stations whereas Guirempeta and Agraharam as one pollingstation.The five areas mentioned above have eight polling stations.30/14 .. Community hall, Savithri Nagar (Vulnerable)30/15.. Government Primary School, Savithri Nagar (Vulnerable)30/13.. Government Primary School, Guirempeta (Vulnerable)
8530/29.. Government High School, Kanakalapeta (Vulnerable) 30/30.. Government Primary School, Kanakalapeta (Vulnerable)30/21.. Central Boys School, Yanam (Sensitive)30/22 .. Central Boys School, Yanam (Sensitive)30/28 .. Government Primary School, Agraharam. (Sensitive)Eight numbers of videographers are being hired to cover entirepolling activity on from 6.00 am to till completion ofthe poll in the above eight polling stations
86ComplaintsThe following complaints were received and examined as follows:Click Here
88The following five numbers of check posts around Yanam region were set in place for effective monitoring of entry and exist in to Yanam region.MOODU THUMULU - METTKURDraksharama Road Yanam BorderByPass road Near Bheem NagarFarampeta – Adi- Andhra PetaGiriampeta EntranceThey are functioning from and will function upto3. Each check post is manned by 3 civil staff and one Policepersonnel during every shift.4. Each check post has 3 shifts of staff to monitor it round theclock.
89Check Posts Staff CHECK POST – I CHECK POST – II CHECK POST – III CHECK POST – IVCHECK POST – V
90Defacement Sl.No Date Work done 1. 17-03-2009 One image and name of Thiru Malladi Krishna Rao, Hon’ble Minister for Revenue is hanging over to the wall of Cycle Shelter, Farmpeta, Yanam where Adult Education Centre is running and the same was removed.One image and name of Thiru Malladi Krishna Rao, Hon’ble Minister for Revenue is hanging over to the wall of Community Hall, New Rajeev nagar, Yanam where Adult Education Centre is running and the same was removedThiru Tekumudi Venkata Rao of New Rajeevnagar, Yanam is hoisting a Flag of CPI party on house. The house owner has been advised either to obtain prior permission to hoist the flag or to remove the flag immediately.
912.It is reported by the Deputy Tahsildar (Revenue), Yanam that the calendars are hanging to the walls of house with the image and name of the Thiru Malladi Krishna Rao, Hon’ble Minister for Revenue, Puducherry at Ayyannagar, Farampet, Dommetipet and wooden board of Adult Education Centre belongs to Yanam Old Age Home with the image of Thiru Malladi Krishna Rao, Hon’ble Minister for Revenue., Pudcherry is kept at Community Hall of Dommetipet and the same were removed
922.It is reported by the Sector Officer- VI that two number of wall posters belonging to Praja Rajyam Party were found available and the same was removed.A flex board with the image of Thiru Malladi Krishna Rao and Gidla Chandra Rao was kept at the house of Thiru Illa Nageswara Rao, Dommetipet and the same was removed by the house owner.About 25 wall posters were found available in all the areas regarding the Christian peace meeting at Mettacur and the same were removed.
933.It is reported by the Sector Officer- VI that a big size old banner of Communist Party was found available on a vegetable cart in New Rajiv Nagar and the same was removed by the vegetable cart owner.Two numbers of calendars belongs to Old Age Home with the image of Thiru malladi Krishna Rao is found available and the same was removed4.It was reported by the Sector-I that one old poster containing Hon’ble Revenue Minister’s photo along with two other posters which relating to christian religion meeting on to found available on a petty shop at Ambedkarnagar and the same was removed.
94It was reported by the Sector-VI that 10 nos It was reported by the Sector-VI that 10 nos. of posters with the images of Hon’ble Minister’s on the walls of Ayyanna nagar area and the same were removed.5.It was reported by the Sector-II that 3 party flags of Indian National Congress are found available at the polling station 30/22 and the same were removed.
96There are 3 vulnerable areas in Yanam as below: Savithri NagarGuirempetaKanakalapeta1. A meeting with Village Headmen of Savithri Nagar wasconducted on and they were informed to not to resortto issuing local Whips (photos)2. Similar meeting was held with Village Headmen Guirempeta on(photos)3. The rival groups from Kanakalapeta were called for meeting onand were informed to co-operate for smooth andPeaceful, conduct of poll without resorting to any commotions.(photos).4. Further it is proposed to hold public meetings in these villageswith the help of Police to create an atmosphere of confidence among the voters on and
97Important Political Activities during the campaign period
98Motor Cycle Rally by Congress party ( photos) Motor Cycle Rally by PMK and ADMK (photos)Public Meeting by Congress (photos)Rally by BJP (photos)Public Meeting by BJPDoor to door canvassing by various parties