Presentation on theme: "Florida; it’s where we live 2 nd and 3 rd Grade Webquest Marilee Ehresman, Keri Mortiz, Erica Nowotny Regina Romano and Bonnie Hammer."— Presentation transcript:
Florida; it’s where we live 2 nd and 3 rd Grade Webquest Marilee Ehresman, Keri Mortiz, Erica Nowotny Regina Romano and Bonnie Hammer
Sunshine State Standards SC.H.1.2.3 Knows that to work collaboratively, all team members should be free to reach, explain, and justify their own individual conclusions. SC.H.1.2.4 Knows that to compare and contrast observations and results is an essential skill. SC.H.3.2.2 Knows that data are collected and interpreted in order to explain an event or concept. SS.A.2.1.3 Understands the significance and historical contributions of historical figures during this period. SS.A.2.1.3 Understands the significance and historical contributions of historical figures during this period. SS.A.1.1.2 Understands that history tells the story of people and events of other times and places. AT.184.108.40.206 Solves problems by using appropriate technology and "just in time" learning. AT.220.127.116.11 Solves problems by using appropriate technology and "just in time" learning. AT.18.104.22.168 Creates a simple technology-based project applying math, science, social studies, and language arts skills. LA.A.2.1.5 Uses simple materials of the reference system to obtain information.
Objectives Second and third grade students will: 1. Learn how to navigate the Internet through provided websites to answer questions about the state of Florida. 2. Discover facts about the State in which they live in. 3. Learn how to read written material on the Internet. 4. Answer questions by researching the provided links.
Rationale It is important to create an appreciation for the State in which the students live. It is important to create an appreciation for the State in which the students live. It strengthens their sense of identity. It strengthens their sense of identity. They can go home and teach their parents. They can go home and teach their parents. They will discover how unique their State is. They will discover how unique their State is. They will be able to identify a few key elements within They will be able to identify a few key elements within their State.
Instructions 1. Read the question. 2. Click on underlined link below the question. 3. Navigate through selected website. 4. Search out the answer. 5. Read and record the answer. 6. Learn and understand the answer.
Language Arts: Language Arts: Famous People from Florida
Famous People from Florida 1. Was Zora Neale Hurston an inventor, a writer or an astrologer? http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/lessons/hurston/hurston.htm 2. What did John and Mable Ringling bring to Sarasota? http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/lessons/ringling/ringling.htm 3. What is Dr. John Gorrie considered to be the father of? http://fcit.usf.edu/FLORIDA/lessons/gorrie/gorrie.htm http://fcit.usf.edu/FLORIDA/lessons/gorrie/gorrie.htm 4. What was the title of the book that William Bartram wrote? http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/lessons/bartram/bartram.htm http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/lessons/bartram/bartram.htm
Famous People from Florida 5.Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was a writer and she lived on a farm. What type of fruit did she grow in her grove? http://www.marjoriekinnanrawlings.org/tour.php 6.What was Harriet Beecher Stowe’s most famous novel called? http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/stow-har.htm 7.Which industry (railroad, automobile or airline) was Henry Morrison Flagler involved in? http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/flagler/flagler.htm http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/flagler/flagler.htm
More Famous People from Florida 8.Choose a painting by Winslow Homer that you like. http://images.google.com/images?q=Winslow+Homer&hl=en& um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title http://images.google.com/images?q=Winslow+Homer&hl=en& um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title 9.Pedro Menendez de Aruiles was the founder of which city? http://jpl.coj.net/dlc/florida/famousfloridians.html 10.Did James Weldon Johnson write a song or a book? http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/lessons/johnson/johnson.htm
Answers 1. Writer 2. Travels 3. Art and culture 4. Air conditioning and refrigeration 5. Oranges 6. Uncle Tom’s Cabin 7. Railroad 8. (personal choice) 9. St. Augustine 10. Song
1. In 1990 how many people between the ages 25 – 44 lived in Sarasota County? http://apoxsee.co.sarasota.fl.us/appnd-h/default.asp 2. In 1992 what was the percentage rate of high school drop outs? http://www.floridanetlink.com/sarasota.php 3. How many Hurricanes made landfall on Florida in the year 1999? http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/hurricane_seas on_991201.html Florida Math Trivia
4. In 2004 how many babies were born in the State of Florida? http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/12000.html 5. What was the percentage of people unemployed in Sarasota County in 1990? http://edr.state.fl.us/county%20profiles/sarasota.pdf 6. In 2005, how many households were there in Manatee County? http://flhousingdata.shimberg.ufl.edu/a/profiles?action=results&nid =4000Questions
7. 7. Find the total population for Manatee County in 1990 on the first site and compare to the total population in 1990 on the second site – are they the same number or different? http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/fl190090.txt http://www.censusscope.org/us/s12/c81/chart_popl.html 8. 8. In 2005 what was the difference of the median age between Manatee County Residents and Sarasota County Residents? http://www.city-data.com/county/Sarasota_County-FL.html http://www.city-data.com/county/Manatee_County-FL.html Questions
9. Find the square miles of Florida and find the square miles of the United States – What is the United States square miles minus Florida square miles? http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/florida/ http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/florida/http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/florida/ http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/area.shtml http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/area.shtmlhttp://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/area.shtml 10. What is the difference between Manatee county total population and Sarasota county total population in 2000? Use this site to get the answer for both Counties. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/12115.html Questions
1. 66,774 2. 2.1% 3. 1 – Hurricane Irene 4. 218,053 5. 3.8% 6. 128,839 households in Manatee County Florida by the Numbers
7. 211,707 – same 8. Sarasota County Median age – 49 Manatee County Median age - 42 7 years difference 9. United States Square Miles = 3,537,441 Florida Square miles = 65,758 3,537,441 - 65,758 3,471,683 square miles United States without Florida 10. 10. Sarasota = 325,957 Manatee = 264,002 Sarasota has a bigger population by 61,955 Answers
SOCIAL STUDIES Ponce de Leon and the Discovery of Florida
Questions 1. What were conquistadors? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Ponce_de_Le%C3%B3n http://www.flheritage.com/facts/history/summary/ 2. What was Ponce de Leon searching for? http://www.mrnussbaum.com/deleon.htm 3. What was Ponce de Leon’s major accomplishment? http://library.thinkquest.org/J002678F/ponce_de_leon.htm 4. What is the legend of the Fountain of Youth? Did he ever find it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Youth
Questions 5. What year did Ponce de Leon land in Florida? http://www.floridahistory.org/history/ponce1.htm http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/kids/