*Named from Niger River. 2X the size of California Ranks as the 32 nd biggest country in the world.
A)Landforms and Climate Long coastline on the Gulf of Guinea Land covered with mangrove swamps. Middle of country has lots of tropical rain forests. Savannas, highlands and plateaus make up the country in between the rain forests. Tropical Savanna and Steppe climate.
B)Economy (#31 in world) One of the world’s major oil producing countries. 92% of Nigeria’s income comes from oil exports. Money from oil has built highways, schools, and factories. Factories make food products, textiles, chemicals, machinery, and vehicles.
1) Economic Problems People lack jobs and 70% live in poverty. In the 1980’s world oil prices started dropping which hurt Nigeria’s economy. Very little rainfall for many years made farming very difficult.
2) Agriculture Major crops are peanuts, cotton, rubber, palm products, and cacao. Beans from cacao are used to make chocolate. Most Nigerians earn their living as farmers. More than 40% of the land is good for farming.
C) People 178 million people (#7 in world) Most populated country in Africa Most people live along the coast and around the city of Kano. Very high birthrate.
1) Ethnic Groups *There are more than 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria. *The four largest groups are the Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, and the Ibo. *50% of people are Muslims. *40% of people are Christians. *10% of people are of traditional African religions.
Super Hard Africa Test Fact: This will be the hardest test you have had all year in any class!!! Fact: Last year the lowest score on the test was a 12/200!!! Fact: Last year the highest score on the test was a 193/200!!! Fact: Expect to study a lot for this test if you want to do well!!! Study guide is currently up on my website if you want it!
2) Influences of the Past Powerful city-states and kingdoms arose in the BC era. Europeans looking for gold and slave labor arrived in Africa in the 1400’s. In the early 1900’s the British controlled this area. In 1960 Nigeria became an independent country. Today Nigeria has a democracy.
3) Ways of Life 60% of people live in rural villages. In Nigeria, markets are very important to people. The largest city is Lagos, located on coast. The capital city is Abuja. People really love art and music in this region. Life expectancy: 52 years old Literacy Rate: 61% Average one physician every 3000 people!
4) Government Federal Republic Independence: October 1, 1960 from U.K. President serves a four year term with the ability to be re-elected once. Next election is in the year 2015. Nigeria is broken up into 36 states and one territory. Capital: Abuja (They are 6 hours ahead of us)
Review 1)Nigeria is 2x bigger then which state in the US? _____________ 2) In what year did Nigeria become an independent country? ________ 3) What is the leading source of income for Nigeria’s economy? ___
More Review 4) Nigeria is the (most, least, or 14 th most) populated country in Africa? 5) Why did Nigeria’s economy struggle in 1980? 6) Who are the 4 largest ethnic groups?
More Review!!! 7) What two things did Europeans come to Africa for in the 1400’s? ________ 8) What is the capital city? ____ 9) How many days until your Super Hard Africa Test? _____