21. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of human populations 1. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of human populations? A. Capital resources B. GDP C. Male/Female distribution D. Religion
32. Which of the following factors influences population distribution? A. Conflicts B. Infant mortality C. Language D. Life Expectancy
43. Which of the following is a pull factor of population migration. A 3. Which of the following is a pull factor of population migration? A. Conflict B. Land availability C. Limits on personal freedoms D. Natural hazards
54. Which of the following is a push factor of population migration. A 4. Which of the following is a push factor of population migration? A. Arable land B. Cultural traditions C. Environmental degradation D. Political freedom
65. Which of the following factors has the LEAST influence on population growth rates? A. Climate B. Education C. Government policy D. Role of women in society
76. Which of these best demonstrates the impact of human migration on a region? A. Canada passing laws to protect seals B. Hinduism being the main religion of India C. Hong Kong being reunited with China in 1997 D. Spanish becoming the main language of Latin America
87. What is one provision of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement)? A. Blocking the entry of goods from all other countries into member nations B. Mutual military support if member nations are attacked C. Promise by member nations to repay aid money to the United States D. Reduction of tariffs between member nations
98. Spatial divisions are A 8. Spatial divisions are A. areas in outer space controlled by different groups of people on Earth. B. areas of a region separating groups at war with each other. C. regions of the Earth’s surface over which groups of people have established control. D. vegetation and climate zones.
109. All of the following are examples of local spatial divisions EXCEPT A. countries. B. election districts. C. neighborhoods. D. school districts.
1110. Which of the following is a major reason why spatial divisions are formed at the local level? A. to administer resources more efficiently B. to conduct war against enemy nations C. to eliminate world hunger D. to locate new sources of oil
1211. ___ grew into a city because of its site on a fall line. A 11. ___ grew into a city because of its site on a fall line. A. Damascus, SYRIA B. Hong Kong, CHINA C. London, ENGLAND D. Richmond, VA.
1312. Which of the following locations is INCORRECTLY compared with the situation that caused it to grow into an important city? A. Capetown, SOUTH AFRICA / resupply station for ships B. Istanbul, TURKEY / command of straits C. Mecca, SAUDI ARABIA / religious pilgrimage D. Sacramento, CA / location on the Silk Road
1413. All of the following are indicators of economic development EXCEPT A. educational achievement. B. GDP per capita. C. multilingual population. D. urban/rural ration.
1514. All of the following illustrate widespread (worldwide) marketing of products EXCEPT A. Fuji camera film. B. Nike athletic products. C. Shoney’s restaurants. D. United Colors of Benetton clothing.
1615. The European Union is mainly a A. defense alliance. B 15. The European Union is mainly a A. defense alliance. B. economic alliance. C. humanitarian agency. D. peace-keeping organization.
1716. Automobile assembly illustrates ___ economic activity. A. nominal B. primary C. secondary D. tertiary
1817. ___ is an example of a nation that has become highly industrialized despite having limited resources. A. Brazil B. Germany C. Japan D. United States
1918. Which of the following is an effect of the unequal distribution of resources? A. economic unions breaking up B. fewer and fewer developed nations C. specialization in good and services that a country can market for profit D. spread of religious crusades
2019. Which of the following has the most negative affect on a nation’s ability to exchange goods with other nations? A. not being a member of the European Union B. being a landlocked country C. having extensive transportation and communication networks D. being a member of the Islamic World
2120. Which of the following is a characteristic of most developing nations? A. a skilled workforce B. high GDP C. lack of education D. low birth rates
2221. ___ has limited natural resources, but produces services on a global scale. A. Russia B. Switzerland C. United Kingdom D. United States
2322. Which of the following is an effect of comparative advantage on international trade? A. increased tertiary economic activities B. less exports C. less need for skilled workers D. specialization and efficient use of resources