Presentation on theme: "Section III Responsibility for a Lifetime Click Once."— Presentation transcript:
Section III Responsibility for a Lifetime Click Once
The symbols of Alpha Sigma Phi reflect much of the history of the Fraternity. Each part of our heraldry is rich in meaning, particularly for those who have been initiated. There are rules and traditions governing the use of each symbol. Proper use of these symbols add to their value. By observing the appropriate use of Alpha Sigma Phi insignia, people see not only us, but also see the Fraternity itself. The Coat of Arms The Coat of Arms of Alpha Sigma Phi consists of four components: a crest, a twist, a shield and a ribbon. Adorning the top of the crest is the phoenix, the mythical bird, embroidered in gold with upraised wings. The twist, or wreath, is made of three segments, alternating silver and black.
The shield of ASP is quartered. The dexter chief (upper left quadrant) and sinister base (lower right qudrant0 are fields of d’argent or silver crossed by a sable or black band-dexter with three mullets (stars) d’or (of gold) spaced at proper intervals. The sinister chief (upper right quadrant) is a field d’or supporting an open book, the pages of which hold five hieroglyphics and a pen. The dexter base (lower left quadrant) is a field d’or containing a Greek column minus a capital, an ancient lamp burning at its base, and leaning against its opposite side, a wreath of laurel. Beneath the shild presented upon the ribbon are the year of our founding and the open motto: “Causa latet vis est notissima.” The rich symbolism of the Coat of Arms is revealed in the Ritual.
The Legend of the Phoenix It is quite appropriate that the Phoenix plays a prominent role in our Coat of the Arms for the story of our Society mirrors that of the Phoenix. The Phoenix is a bird from ancient Greek, Egyptian and Arabian mythology. According to the Greeks, the bird lives in Arabia, near a cool well. Every morning at dawn, the sun god would stop his chariot to listen to the bird sing a beautiful song while it bathed in the well. The Phoenix is described as a heron in Egypt, but is usually depicted as a peacock or eagle-like bird with red and gold plumage. According to legend, only one Phoenix could exist at a time. Every 500 or so years when it felt its end coming, the Phoenix would build a nest to be used as a funeral pyre. The old Phoenix is then consumed in flames and burned to ashes while a new Phoenix subsequently rises from the funeral pyre. This process is said to symbolize the rising and setting of the sun.
Throughout the ages, the Phoenix has come to symbolize endurance, courage, immortality, resurrection and life after death. It also later appeared in medieval Christian writing as a symbol of death and resurrection. Thus, the Phoenix serves as an apt symbol for the Old Gal who has also had to display similar courage and endurance throughout its own history to “rise again from the ashes.” The Membership Badge The Badge of Alpha Sigma Phi is almost exactly the same as that created by our Founders over 150 years ago. It is the only fraternity badge that is rectangular with right-angled corners. The Badge is a gold slab with a trefoil in each corner. On the face is a raised shield in black enamel, containing an open book in white, across which is a pen of gold. On the pages of the book lie five hieroglyphics. Carved in gold benearth the book on the black enamel are the Greek letters ASP.
On the back of the Badge is engraved the Brother’s name, initiation date, chapter name and its founding date. The Badge of Alpha Sigma Phi may never be modified in size or jeweled in any way. Every member of Alpha Sigma Phi wears an identical Badge. The Badge is worn over the heart on a shirt, sweater or vest, never on coat lapel or jacket. A chapter guard pin may be added as well as officer insignia on the chain of the guard. In keeping with the unjeweled Badge, the guard should also be basic. No Brother ever allows any person who is not a member of the Fraternity to wear his Badge. The only exceptions are the wife or fiancée of a Brother. It is a tradition that the Badge is willed back to the Fraternity at death and returned to the archives.
The Seal The Seal of Alpha Sigma Phi contains the shield as it appears on the membership badge with the open book in white, the five hieroglyphics and pen. Beneath the book are the letters ASP. A double circle, in which appears the open motto, surrounds the shield. On a band or scroll connecting or crossing the circles under the lower apex, is the year of our founding. The Oak-Wreath Seal First used in the fall of 1846 in The Yale Banner. This Seal later appeared in The Yale Tomahawk, on Alpha Sigma Phi stationary, songbooks, and other items until 1864. After that date, the letters ASP were replaced by the letters (Delta Beta Xi) and with only that change, Alpha Chapter used the Seal until its suspension in 1875. in the early days, only Alpha used this design.
The Official Colors The official colors of the Fraternity are Cardinal and Stone. The Flag Alpha Sigma Phi’s flag is composed of two equalized, vertical bars. The closest to the staff is Cardinal, the opposite, Stone. From the lower corner next to the staff, a white bar, one-fourth the width of the flag, extends diagonally to the upper end and ahs three equally spaced Cardinal stars upon the bar. The letters ASP in Cardinal, appear in the lower end corner of the Stone vertical bar and chapter designation letters appear in Stone in the upper corner, closest to the staff, of the vertical Cardinal bar.
The Official Flowers At the 1998 Grand Chapter the official flowers of Alpha Sigma Phi were designated as the Twin Roses: the Yellow Tea Rose formerly of Alpha Kappa Pi and the Cardinal Rose, the original flower of Alpha Sigma Phi. The President’s Pin Each chapter, upon chartering, is presented with a President’s Pin. This is a replica of the original Badge of the Fraternity and resembles the (Delta Beta Xi) key. This special Badge is passed on within the chapter from president to president during the Officer Installation Ceremony and is the property of the chapter.
The Pledge Pin The Pledge Pin of the Fraternity is worn on the left lapel of a suit or sport coat, or on the left side of the chest on sweaters and shirts. The Pledge Pin is the property of the chapter and is entrusted to the Pledge in accordance with the instructions given to him in his recital of his obligation during the formal pledge ceremony. The Pledge Pin is an adaptation of the Badge of Alpha Kappa Pi, which merged with Alpha Sigma Phi in 1946. This Pin is the only insignia of the Fraternity that a Pledge may possess prior to initiation. Likewise, a Pledge is not permitted to wear jewelry with the Fraternity insignia on it or ay other item bearing the Coat of Arms. A Pledge, however, is welcome to wear clothing with our three Greek letters or the symbol of the phoenix.
The Delta Beta Xi Key This special Key is a replica of the Delta Beta Xi Badge worn by members of Alpha Chapter from 1864-1875 and recognizes outstanding service to the Fraternity. Only award recipients of Delta Beta Xi may wear it. The Grand Council names no more than ten men to Delta Beta Xi each year. The Recognition Pin A small replica of the open book with its hieroglyphics and pen, this symbol is worn on the left lapel of a suit or sport coat and may be worn only by initiated members. The Monogram Pin A simple pin of the letters ASP meant to be worn on the left lapel of a suit or sport coat by initiated Alumni only.
The Sesquicentennial Pin A special pin designed exclusively for the Sesquicentennial Celebration of Alpha Sigma Phi in 1995. the pin was first presented during the celebration in Charleston, South Carolina to members of the Fraternity to recognize their contributions to the Old Gal. Registered Trademarks & Copyrighted Material All the symbols of Alpha Sigma Phi and the Greek letters, ASP, are registered and copyrighted material.