We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byAri Oakman
Modified about 1 year ago
1. After the closing of a letter
2. After initials
3. After the greeting of a business letter
4. To replace omitted letters in contractions
5. At the end of a politely worded question
6. Between independent clauses when no conjunction is used
7. To show possession in proper nouns
8. To set off the name of the person spoken to
9. To separate the minutes and hours when writing time
10. To enclose titles of poems, articles, and chapters of books
10. Quotation marks
11. After the salutation of a friendly letter
1. Does a pressure cooker have a safety valve Clara?
1. Does a pressure cooker have a safety valve, Clara?
2. Changes in pressure can be quite dangerous.
3. One of the first places a diver feels pressure changes Teresa is the eardrum.
3. One of the first places a diver feels pressure changes, Teresa, is the eardrum.
4. I’ve heard Clara that divers hold their noses and blow when they start to feel pain in their ears.
4. I’ve heard, Clara, that divers hold their noses and blow when they start to feel pain in their ears.
5. Yes swallowing also helps to equalize pressure.
5. Yes, swallowing also helps to equalize pressure.
6. Air pressure exerts a different amount of force on the filling than on the tooth and Clara under severe conditions it can cause a tooth to collapse.
6. Air pressure exerts a different amount of force on the filling than on the tooth, and, Clara, under severe conditions it can cause a tooth to collapse.
7. Oh I know the definition of esprit de corps a French phrase meaning “team spirit.”
7. Oh, I know the definition of esprit de corps, a French phrase meaning “team spirit.”
8. No this machine a recent model does not use as much electricity oil and water as the older model.
8. No, this machine, a recent model, does not use as much electricity, oil, and water as the older model.
9. School alterations a large item in the budget are necessary because of the inadequate cafeteria facilities and the undersized auditorium.
9. School alterations, a large item in the budget, are necessary because of the inadequate cafeteria facilities and the undersized auditorium.
10. Mr. Wortham, trying not to chuckle, offered to help us clean up the mess.
11. Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin who won a 1964 Nobel Prize determined the molecular structure of vitamin B 12.
11. Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin, who won a 1964 Nobel Prize, determined the molecular structure of vitamin B 12.
12. Species of turtles, that live in regions with harsh winters, must hibernate.
13. Speleologists are scientists, who study caves and the organisms that live in them.
14. The puppy excited to see its owner wagged its tail vigorously.
14. The puppy, excited to see its owner, wagged its tail vigorously.
15. By explaining the refraction of light through water I can give sensible reasons for these strange appearances.
15. By explaining the refraction of light through water, I can give sensible reasons for these strange appearances.
16. Ascending the tree one branch at a time Mrs. Weinberg eventually reached the stranded kitten.
16. Ascending the tree one branch at a time, Mrs. Weinberg eventually reached the stranded kitten.
17. While I was working at the gas station I learned a lot about cars.
17. While I was working at the gas station, I learned a lot about cars.
18. Chasing a fly ball in center field Armand stepped in a hole and sprained his ankle.
18. Chasing a fly ball in center field, Armand stepped in a hole and sprained his ankle.
19. If people object to my suggestions let them state their reasons.
19. If people object to my suggestions, let them state their reasons.
Semicolons and Colons
20. My mom is reading Shadow and Act it is a collection of essays by Ralph Ellison.
20. My mom is reading Shadow and Act; it is a collection of essays by Ralph Ellison.
21. The largest urban areas in Southeast Asia are centered around the cities of Manila, Philippines Jakarta, Indonesia and Bangkok, Thailand.
21. The largest urban areas in Southeast Asia are centered around the cities of Manila, Philippines; Jakarta, Indonesia; and Bangkok, Thailand.
22. Ships on the Caribbean Sea might carry sugar from the West Indies coffee from Colombia, Costa Rica, or Guatemala or bananas from Panama.
22. Ships on the Caribbean Sea might carry sugar from the West Indies; coffee from Colombia, Costa Rica, or Guatemala; or bananas from Panama.
23. The Abeita family has three dogs, a cat, and a parrot and Jaime, Miguel, and Julia have been asking for a horse.
23. The Abeita family has three dogs, a cat, and a parrot; and Jaime, Miguel, and Julia have been asking for a horse.
24. The reviewer praised the special effects however, she criticized the screenplay.
24. The reviewer praised the special effects; however, she criticized the screenplay.
25. The letter began, “Dear Dr. Garcia Thank you for considering my application for kennel attendant at your clinic.”
25. The letter began, “Dear Dr. Garcia: Thank you for considering my application for kennel attendant at your clinic.”
26. Katrina wrote her book report on The Golden Gate A Novel in Verse by Vikram Seth.
26. Katrina wrote her book report on The Golden Gate: A Novel in Verse by Vikram Seth.
27. The play doesn’t start until 800 p.m. however, we should plan to arrive early.
27. The play doesn’t start until 8:00 p.m.; however, we should plan to arrive early.
28. The lecture begins at 200 Dr. Durand will be discussing the literary elements of Psalm
28. The lecture begins at 2:00; Dr. Durand will be discussing the literary elements of Psalm 104: 1-50.
29. Mrs. Hershey has visited several cities in Canada Toronto, Ontario Edmonton, Alberta and Halifax, Nova Scotia.
29. Mrs. Hershey has visited several cities in Canada: Toronto, Ontario; Edmonton, Alberta; and Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Punctuation Review Colon - Use to introduce a list but not if the list follows a verb or preposition - Use between the hour and minute of time - Between.
End Marks/Abbreviations Commas Quotation Marks Semicolons.
Part 2. If the subject is singular, then the verb must be in its singular form. This goes for being plural as well. My friend go to the movies often.
Capitalization and punctuation By Cristian walle.
Periods are used at the end of a declarative or an imperative sentence. Periods are used after an abbreviation. Periods are also used after the.
1 Pertemuan 2 Punctuation Matakuliah: G1192/Writing 1 Tahun: Versi: 6.
Punctuation Commas Use commas to separate items in a series. Use a comma BEFORE conjunctions. Red, white, and blue.
Punctuation Marks. Comma Rules Use commas after each item except the last in a series of three or more items. I bought apples, bananas, and oranges at.
Rules to Know: Grammar and Punctuation These are the basic rules that the English portion tests.
Capitalization and Punctuation Chapter 13, pg 216.
Capitalization and Punctuation Chapter 13, pg 234.
Punctuation Rules: Semicolon Rule #1: Use a semicolon to combine two independent clauses. Do not use conjunctions with semicolons. Also, if a word such.
ACT Prep Punctuation. Commas Use with introductory material –After all, crime must be punished –In 2007, my nephew Ethan was born. Use in lists –I have.
Unit: Memoirs and Mechanics Lesson: Commas. End Marks What is an end mark? –An end mark is also known as punctuation, and comes at the end of a sentence.
By: KATIE AND RENEE WOOHOOO ♥♥. Declarative sentences end with a (.) period Interrogative sentences end with a (?) question mark Exclamatory sentences.
Grammar of the Week Semicolons & Colons. Semicolon Rule: Use a semicolon (;) to join two independent clauses that are closely related. –The rain stopped;
ACT Review Colons and Semicolons. Colon ( : ) A colon is used before a list or after an independent clause that is followed by information that directly.
Punctuation Apostrophes are used in contractions: should + not = shouldn’t; he + has = he’s to form possessive nouns when used with an s: Laura’s pottery;
Using Semicolons and Colons. Semicolons and Independent Clauses Use a semicolon to join independent clauses not already joined by a comma and a coordinating.
BASIC PUNCTUATION RULES COMMAS, END MARKS, QUOTATION MARKS, COLONS, SEMI-COLONS AND APOSTROPHES.
Punctuations. Capital Letters Small Letters Comma Full Stop Semicolon Colon Parenthesis Square Brackets Hypen Dash Exclamation Mark Question Mark Quatation.
Apostrophes & Quotation Marks The Brenham Writing Room Created by D. Herring.
Semicolons & Colons Apostrophes Chapter 11. Here’s the Idea: A semicolon indicates a break in a sentence. It is stronger than a comma but not as strong.
Rules of Punctuation. Punctuation Affects Meaning.
Angie Izzaty ESL Class – Grade 9. Why do we need punctuation? Punctuation allows the authors writing to be easy to read and understandable for the reader.
ECA. Verbals Infinitives – to + verb ; acts as a noun, adjective, or adverb – I did not want to continue to learn about slavery. Participles – ends in.
Some Punctuation Basics Adapted from Eric Stephenson’s Presentation.
Punctuation. commas Separate adjectives that come before a noun “They were attacked by a gigantic, ferocious shark”
Colons and Semicolons. Colons Use a colon to mean “note what follows.” Use a colon before a list of items, especially after expressions like the following.
Capitalization and Punctuation A Project LA Activity.
Commas An end mark is used to separate complete thoughts. A comma is used to separate words or groups of words within a complete thought. Use commas to.
Capitalization Revision Review. Why Do I Capitalize? Capitalization is necessary. Capitals are used to identify things that are proper as well as to start.
Writing Lesson 2 possessives, commas, parenthesis, colons, and dashes. Taken from The Elements of Style by William Strunk and E.B. White.
Colons Periods 1 & 2 12/4/12. Colons Rule #1: Use a colon to mean “note what follows.”
VI. Other Punctuation. A. Use Semicolons To… 1.To join 2 independent clauses I went ice fishing last Saturday; we didn’t catch anything. 2.To join 2 independent.
Punctuation With examples blatantly stolen from Bill Bryson’s “A Dictionary of Troublesome Words.”
Semi-colons; colons; hyphens…. Use a semi-colon in the following situations: To join two independent clauses The house looks dark; perhaps we should.
Chapter 5 Mechanics of Writing Business Communication Copyright 2010 South-Western Cengage Learning.
Commas Commas are more than a pause!!!. Use a comma before the conjunction that joins two main clauses. I cooked dinner, and Linda set the table.
D.L.P. – Week Nine GRADE SEVEN. Day One – Skills Punctuation – Comma – Dates When writing a date, a comma must separate the day from the year. (May 5,
February 11, 2015 Rachel’s Challenge: “A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.” - unknown.
Commas and Semicolons How to... Pause. What is a comma? A comma is a visual pause for the reader. A comma can be used for many reasons.
Troublesome Punctuation With examples blatantly stolen from Bill Bryson’s “A Dictionary of Troublesome Words.”
PUNCTUATION RULES COMMAS COLON SEMICOLON Adapted from Sharon Fulmer.
Fun with quotation marks and italics!. 1. It’s never too late stated Danny to start your New Year’s resolutions 2. Alicia whispered that her favorite.
SENTENCES and SENTENCE STRUCTURES OCS English I Mrs. Bonifay.
Punctuation Commas Colons/ Semi -colons. What are commas? Commas are forms of punctuation that can make the meaning of sentences clearer by separating.
Grammar Review Parts of Speech Sentences Punctuation.
Adjective A word that describes a noun, e.g. a big house, a cold morning.
Semicolons and Colons Pps Semicolons 1. Separate items in a series if any of the items contains commas. The students gathered after school; practiced.
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.