Presentation on theme: "I. Idea Catching WHAT? What does the writer want to tell us? How does he make clear his story? By cause and effect writing His experiences of learning."— Presentation transcript:
I. Idea Catching WHAT? What does the writer want to tell us? How does he make clear his story? By cause and effect writing His experiences of learning English at different stages HOW?
Para. Topic Detail 1general experience of learning a foreign language: __________yet ___________ 2experience in _____________________ cause & effect effect ? 3experience in _____________________ cause & effecteffect ? 4experience at ____________ cause & effecteffect ? 5-7experiences about _______________What? 8benefits of learning a foreign language cause & effecteffect ? difficultrewarding junior middle school senior middle school college online learning II. Understanding Each Paragraph
Para. 2 The kind and patient teacher often praised the students. Cause: Effect: I eagerly answered questions, not worrying about making mistakes. I was at the top of my class.
Para. 3 Effect: The new teacher quickly punished those who gave wrong answers. I lost my eagerness to answer questions and my desire to say anything in English. Cause:
Para. 4 Effect: I was afraid to speak. My English seemed to stay at the same level. Large classes made me only able to answer a couple of questions in each class period. Many students spoke much better than I did. Cause:
1. What does online learning require? 2. Why did he carry a notebook with him? 3. Did he have any trouble learning online ? 4. Did he succeed in learning English? uestions and nswers 2. He listed any new words he heard. 3. Sometimes he made many embarrassing mistakes, cried with frustration, felt like giving up. 4. Yes, he reaped the benefits of all the hard work. 1.It requires time, commitment and discipline. 1.It requires time, commitment and discipline. Para. 5-7
Causes: 1. ____________________________________ 2. ____________________________________ 3. ____________________________________ 4. ____________________________________ give me the value of hard work give me insights into another culture communicate with more people reach out to others and bridge the gap between my language and culture and theirs Effect: not trade the experience for anything else Para. 8
III. Summary Writing Learning a foreign language was one of the most difficult yet most ( 有意义的经历 ) ____________ __________. Although at times, learning a language was frustrating, it was ( 非常有价值 ) ________ __________. In junior middle school, my foreign teacher ( 表扬 ) _________all of the students. I benefit a lot from this positive teaching method. In senior middle school, the teacher always （惩罚） ___________ those who gave incorrect answers. So I ( 失去乐趣 ) ____________in answering questions and my desire to say anything at all in English. In college, I had no __________ to speak in class. I experiences praised punished well worth lost my joy rewarding opportunity the effort
felt intimidated. ( 网上学习 ) _______________ changed everything. Although it requires much _________, _____________and _________to keep up with the flow of the course, I succeeded in foreign language learning. Learning a foreign language has been a most ( 艰辛的的经历 ) _________________. I have gained _______ into another culture as well as the language points. commitmentdiscipline trying experienceinsights Online learning time
1. Although at times, learning a language was frustrating, it was well worth the effort. (L2) Paraphrase Although at times, learning a language was disappointing, it was rewarding enough to spend the time and effort on it. 虽然学习一种语言时常遭遇挫折，但付出的努 力却很值得。
2. Because of this positive method, I eagerly answered all the questions I could, never worrying much about making mistakes. (L6) Paraphrase Because of the effective and helpful method, I was very willing to answer all the questions I could, and I never worried about making mistakes. 由于这种积极的教学方法，我踊跃回答各种问题，从不怕答错。
1) Difference between “because of” and “because” because of + sth./doing sth. because + a sentence She had to quit school because of ill health. He can not remember the new words because he never uses them. e.g.
2) “worrying about making mistakes” 是现在分 词短语作状语 e.g. Climbing to the top of the tower, we saw a beautiful sight. Not wanting to meet John there, he refused to attend the party. When we climbed to the top of the tower, Because he didn’t want to meet John there, Practice
现在分词用作状语：表示时间、原因、结果、条件、 让步、方式或伴随状况 Having finished his homework, he went to play football. Being sick, I stayed at home. He went out shutting the door behind him. Because of the positive method, I eagerly answered all the questions I could, never worrying about making mistakes. (Para.2) He sat in the armchair, reading the newspaper.
过去分词作状语：表示时间、原因、结果、条件、让步、 方式或伴随状况 Born and bred in the countryside, he was bewildered by the big city. He went into the building, followed by a man in black.
Make your choice and tell why: 1.His remarks left me ______ about his real purpose. A. wondered B. wondering 2.You will see this product ______ wherever you go. A. advertised B. advertising 3.All things______, the planned trip will have to be called off. B. considered A. considering
1. frustrate (L2) v. ① to cause sb. to feel angry or disappointed Use it Was there anything making you frustrated? — Was there anything making you frustrated? I was frustrated by… — I was frustrated by… 近义、同义词 discourage disappoint upset annoy I. Word Using
1. frustrate (L2) — ② to prevent someone’s plans, efforts from succeeding The bad weather frustrated all our hopes of going out. 恶劣的天气使我们出门的希望化为泡影。 Translation Key
2. positive (L6) adj. ① effective; helpful Translation别只是看着，给我提些积极的建议吧。 Key Don’t just watch; give me some positive advice.
2. positive (L6) ② definite and clear collocation 反义词 negative( 消极的，负面的，否定的 ) answersordersinstructionsproof/evidenceattitudemethod positive The most disabled person in the world is a negative thinker.
3. communicate (L29) v. exchange ideas Use it 1) How do deaf people communicate? They use... They use... 2)When do you communicate with your parents? 2)When do you communicate with your parents? I communicate with my parents when… I communicate with my parents when… Tips 1) sign language; 2)... when I have trouble.../ can’t understand... 1) sign language; 2)... when I have trouble.../ can’t understand...
4. feel like doing (L37) want to do sth. Use it What do you feel like doing when tired? What do you feel like doing on weekends? Tips Enjoying music/doing light reading/…; going shopping/visiting my friends/having a picnic...
5. benefit (L42) n. advantage; good effect v. be helpful e.g. She has had the benefit of a first class education. Phrases for sb.’s benefit 为了 …… 的利益 for sb.’s benefit 为了 …… 的利益 benefit from 得益于 ; be beneficial to 有助于 benefit from 得益于 ; be beneficial to 有助于 Use it What can you benefit from learning English?
6. favorite (L49) a. most loved n. sth. that is loved above all others Use it What is your favorite music? What kind of movie is your favorite? Tips rock and roll/country music/classical music/folk songs...; detective story/science fiction/cartoon/ kongfu/love story... (More) More
After-class assignments 1: 1: Hand in post-reading exercises online. 2. Describe your problems in learning English. 3: 3: Provide some good ways of learning English. 4: Look for proverbs concerning learning.