2Find the sentences containing modal verbs in the reading passage. Then usually by lunchtime they would all be sold.What could have happened?Nothing could be better…”Something terrible must have happened if …
3He could not believe his eyes. Perhaps he should go to the library and find out.He had better do some research!Even though her customers might get thin after eating Yong Hui’s food…They would become tired very quickly.
4Modal verbsa. should, ought to都可表示“应该”。ought to用于表示按道理应当，常指客观的义务或责任，大多数情况下可用should代替，但比should语气重。I should help her because she is in trouble.You ought to take care of the baby.
5b. 表示劝告、建议或命令时，should和ought to可通用，但在疑问句中常用should。ought to的否定式为oughtn’t to或ought not to。 You should / ought to go to class right away.Should I open the window?What should we do next?
6c. should, ought to都可表示推测。 He ought to / should be home by now.This is where the oil ought to / should be.
7注意should 和ought to 后面跟动词不定式的完成式, 其肯定句表示“过去应该做而未做”, 其否定句则表示 “过去不该做但做了”。You should/ought to have made the decision a week ago.I shouldn’t have made such a foolish mistake.多数情况下，ought to可与should互换使用。ought to的反意疑问句用shouldn’t替代。
8You ought to have helped him with his English, ________? A. won’t youB. ought not youC. shouldn’t youD. wouldn’t you
92. must和have to must的用法 1) 表示主观的义务和必要, 主要用于肯定句和疑问句, 意思为 “必须……，得……，要……”；由must引起的疑问句，肯定回答要用must或have to, 否定回答要用needn’t或don’t have to, 意思是“不必” ；
10must的否定形式mustn’t表示禁止，意思是“不能，不许”。如： — Must I finish the task right now? 我现在必须完成这个工作吗？
11—Yes, you must. / Yes, you have to. 是的。 (—No, you needn’t. / No, you don’t have to. 不，不必。)You mustn’t come here without permission.未经允许，你不能来这儿。
12have to 的用法 1) must表示一种主观的需要，而have to表示一种客观的需要，意思是“不得不”。 如： I have to attend an important meeting this afternoon.今天下午我不得不参加一个重要的会议。
13Mother is out, so I have to look after the shop. 妈妈不在家，因此我不得不照看商店。 2) have to 的否定形式是don’t have to, 相当于needn’t。如：They don’t have to buy a computer at present. 他们目前没有必要买电脑。
14【考例】The boss has given everyone a special holiday, so we ____ go to work tomorrow. (上海 2007春) A. can’t B. mustn’tC. needn’t D. shouldn’t【点拨】考查情态动词。根据题意, 可知这里表示“没有必要”, 故只能选C项。
15【考例】─What do you think we can do for our aged parents? ─You ____ do anything except to be with them and be yourself. (重庆 2007)A. don’t have to B. oughtn’t toC. mustn’t D. can’t【点拨】根据题意“除了和他们呆在一起做你自己外, 没有必要做任何事情。”可知这里选择don’t have to表示“不必”。故选A项。
163. must和needneed作情态动词时, 只能用于疑问句和否定句。构成否定句和疑问句时不借助于助动词do。—Need I finish the work today?—Yes, you must. / No, you needn’t.
17b. must的肯定形式表示“必须”，否定式 表示“禁止、严禁”。You must come here.You mustn’t take the book away fromthe library.
28Make sentences 1. 你每天最少要练习一小时口语。 You must practise speaking English at least an hour a day．2. 我每天不得不练习一小时口语！I have to practise speaking English an hour a day！
293. 你应该每天练习不止一小时。You ought to／should practiceEnglish for more than an hour．4. 你应该读一下这个。它写得很好。You ought to／should read this．It’s very good．5. 你必须读这个。写得精彩极了！You must read this．It's marvelous！
30Please choose a proper phrase and according to the situations complete the sentences by using should (not) or ought (not) to.1. Lisa needs a change. She _______________________________.2. My salary is very low. You ______________________.should/ought to take a few days offshould look for a new job
313. Nick always has difficulty getting up. He _______________________ ____________.4. What a beautiful view! You __________________.5. Billy’s room isn’t very interesting. He ______________________________________.ought not to /shouldn’t goto bed so lateshould take a photoshouldn’t/ ought not to use hercar so much
32Choose suitable modal verbs below to complete the following dialogues. ought/oughtn’t to should/ shouldn’tmustn’t needn’t (don’t) have to will can/ can’t1 Sam: How can I grow thinner, Mum?Mum: Well, you _______ eat food withplenty of fibre that helps youdigest better. And you _____ stopdrinking cola or eating sweet food.have toshould
33Sam: Does it mean I _________ eat my favourite fried chicken any more?Mum: Not exactly, if you love friedchicken, you ______ give it up.Just eat it less often. You______________________________worry too much: a little friedchicken ____ do you good!shouldn’tneedn’tdon’t have to/ needn’t/ shouldn’twill
342 Doctor: You are sick because you’ve eaten poisonous mushrooms.Where did you get them?Lucy: I picked them in the forest. I knowwe _______ eat fresh vegetables.Doctor: Oh, but you _______ eat themuntil you’re sure they are notpoisonous.Lucy: Thank you, doctor. I’ll be morecareful next time.have tomustn’t
353 Charles: I wish I could see things clearly in the dark.Tom: Eating carrots _______ helpyou see better. You _______ eatsome every day.ought toshould
36练习坊 I. 根据下列英文解释写出所缺的单词。 1. _______ to discuss something with consult someone so that you can make adecision together2. _______ to change food that you havejust eaten into substances that yourbody can useconsultdigest
373. ______ a long pointed orange vegetable that grows under theground4. __________ containing poison orproducing poisoncarrotpoisonous
38根据下列各句句意及所给单词的汉语提示, 写出各单词的正确形式。 1. For a long time, I’ve built my business with people who are ________ (精力旺盛的), creative, and happy about their work.2. This rich food doesn’t _____ (消化) easily.energeticdigest
393. The dish of boiled beef and _____ (胡萝卜) tastes good. 4. An increasing number of people are _________ (请教) their accountants about the tax laws.5. This medicine is _________ (有毒) if taken in large quantities.carrotconsultingpoisonous
401. You _______________________ go on II. 用所给的情态动词填空。must; oughtn’t to; don’t have to; couldn’t;mustn’t; needn’t; can’t; have to1. You _______________________ go onworking because you look so tired now.2. The weather turned out to be fineyesterday. I _______ have had thetrouble to carry my umbrella with me.oughtn’t to / don’t have toneedn’t
413. If you earn more than ￡5,000, you _______ pay tax. must; oughtn’t to; don’t have to; couldn’t;mustn’t; needn’t; can’t; have to3. If you earn more than ￡5,000, you_______ pay tax.4. You _______ play now!You shall finishyour homework first!5. I know things are hard with you, butyou _____________ try to get over the difficulties.have tomustn’tmust / have to
426. I didn’t see her at the meeting this must; oughtn’t to; don’t have to; couldn’t;mustn’t; needn’t; can’t; have to6. I didn’t see her at the meeting thismorning; she _____________ havespoken at the meeting.couldn’t / can’t
43高考链接1. I thought you __ like something to read, so I have brought you some books.A. may B. might C. would D. must2. Where is my pen? I ____ it.A. might lose B. would have lostC. should have lost D. must have lost
443. I didn’t hear the phone. I __ asleep. A. must be B. must have beenC. should be D. should have been
454. --Is John coming by train? --He should, but he __ not. He likes driving his car. (2002高考题）A. must B. can C. need D. may5. It has been announced that candidates (候选人) ____ remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected. (2002上海高考题）A. can B. will C. may D. shall
466. --I heard they went skiing in the mountains last winter. --It ____ true because there was little snow there. (2002北京高考题)A. may not be B. won’t beC. couldn’t be D. mustn’t be
477. ---There were already five people in the car, but they managed to take me as well. ---It ___ a comfortable journey.A. can’t be B. shouldn’t beC. mustn’t have been D. couldn’t have been8. It’s nearly seven o’clock . Jack __ be here at any moment.A. must B. need C. should D. could
48Homework1. Preview the reading (2) and reading task on Page 52. See how the story ended.2. Find some information about healthy eating on the Internet.