Presentation on theme: "LITERARY TERMS. 1. The description below is an example of which literary element? A silver 707 lands and pulls up toward the control tower where 30,000."— Presentation transcript:
1. The description below is an example of which literary element? A silver 707 lands and pulls up toward the control tower where 30,000 fans stand waiting. The hatch of the plane opens. When Cager and the other Miners appear the crowd goes crazy. The cheers rise to deafening levels as Willie Cager raises the 1966 NCAA Championship trophy up over his head.
a. Imagery b. Onomatopoeia c. Personification d. conflict
2. What aspect do Glory Road and Bad Boy share in common? A. They are both written in first person. B. Both Walter and the Texas Western black players triumphed against great odds. C. Both took place in Texas. D. Characters in both stories were made fun of because of the way they talked.
B. Both Walter and the Texas Western black players triumphed against great odds.
3. Visual representations are A. Maps B. Charts C. photographs D. all of the above
Identify the tone. A. exciting B. violent and angry C. Tense D. Confusion 4. INT. TUNNEL-TULSA’S ARENA—MOMENTS LATER The players run into the arena. Fans cup their hands and shout, their faces twisted. FIRST TULSA FAN Oreo, you belong on the plantation! THIRD TULSA FAN Hey, you better watch your backs after the game. We knows how to take care of runaway blacks.
B. Violent and Angry
5. When Haskins has a difficult time balancing his home life with basketball, what type of conflict does the author employ?
6. What literary device does the author employ? 4You can give up. (he looks each in the eye)It’s your choice. You can walk away, or walk through the fire and grab it all. But if you walk away, you’ll never know if you could’ve stood on that center line.
7. When the Texas Western Miners Team returns to El Paso and celebrate their 1966 NCAA Championship, what plot element does the author employ? a. Resolution b. Rising action c. Climax d. exposition
8. From the text of Glory Road, we can infer that Don Haskins is determined. What literary term does this exemplify? A. metaphor B. character trait C. personification D. simile
B. Character Trait
9. The following is an example of what drama element? INT. HARRY FLOURNOY’S HOUSE- KITCHEN-LATER Mrs. Flournoy enters the living room with Flournoy following. He stops shocked, when he sees Haskins sitting at a table, next to Flournoy’s father, eating his piece of blueberry pie.
10. The Texas Western team was looked down at during the beginning of the screenplay, but in the end they win the highest championship in college basketball. What literary element does the author employ?
11. Haskins and Moe head to the interview and under a banner that reads “NCAA National Championship.” a.Personification b.Imagery c.Alliteration d.onomatopoeia
12. Glory Road is an example of what genre?
13. What figurative language device does the author employ? “I'm on you like ugly on a baboon's butt.”
“Bobby Joe, once awake, has intelligent, playful eyes and an (overconfident) demeanor.… Lightening quick, he finds openings where there aren’t any, dribbles past players with dazzling speed.” 14. Direct or Indirect Characterization?
INT. MINERS DORM HALLWAY – MOMENTS LATER ROWDY STUDENTS run past. Don walks with MOE ―SQUEAKY ‖ IBA, 25, a very short, earnest ASSISTANT COACH with horn-rimmed glasses. His voice is high, hence the unfortunate nickname 15. Direct or Indirect Characterization?
MARY Always restless. Always gotta have better. You got a family now. You’re a winning coach. Is that so bad? 16.Direct or Indirect Characterization?
17. Mary gets upset with Don for not telling her about the racial threats. This is an example of internal or external conflict?
18. How is the screenplay of Glory Road organized? a. cause-effect b. chronological Order c. problem-solution
19. Located at the beginning of a book and lists the title and page number of all the chapters in the book. A.Index B.Almanac C.Table of Contents D.encyclopedia
C. Table of Contents
20. This should always be typed in alphabetical order according to the author’s last name. A.Index B.bibliography C.newspaper D.encyclopedia
21. If we wanted to find out what the weather was like in El Paso during basketball season, I would look in which resource? A. Atlas B. Almanac C. newspaper D. encyclopedia
22. If I have a book of basketball rules, and I want to find information about fouls, where would I look? A. Index B. Almanac C. Table of Contents D. atlas
23. If I wanted to find general information about the 1960’s, where would I look? A. newspaper B. Almanac C. Table of Contents D. encyclopedia
24. What source would give the most reliable information about the real-life Texas Western players? A. article “The movie: Glory Road” B. article “Stars of Basketball” C. article “1960 Texas Western Miners Team: Where are They Now?” D. article “Dealing with Sports Injuries”
C. article “1960 Texas Western Miners Team: Where are They Now?”
25. adds additional thoughts, more information; used as a pause for effect
26. used to emphasize emotion such as excitement
27. The stands are jammed and the crowd is raucous. The best meaning for the word raucous is A. rowdy B. friendly C. angry
28. The Miners struggle, spooked by the hostile crowd. The best meaning for the word hostile is A. friendly B. unfriendly, dangerous C. disorderly
B. unfriendly, dangerous
29. The Official calls a foul on Bobby Joe. Haskins rants. The best meaning for the word rants is A. experiencing emotional conflict B. unfriendly, dangerous C. to speak in an angry or violent manner
30. In the sentence, “When we feel equal, everyone benefits.” The root word bene- is most likely to mean A. good/well B. empty C. feeling D. against