Presentation on theme: "Summary Slide A.WORD STUDYWORD STUDY 1. ExamplesExamples 2. ExerciseExercise B. GRAMMARGRAMMAR 1. Bare infinitiveBare infinitive 2. To infinitiveTo."— Presentation transcript:
Summary Slide A.WORD STUDYWORD STUDY 1. ExamplesExamples 2. ExerciseExercise B. GRAMMARGRAMMAR 1. Bare infinitiveBare infinitive 2. To infinitiveTo infinitive 3. Exercise 1Exercise 1 4. Exercise 2Exercise 2 C. REVISIONREVISION 1. Word formationWord formation 2. Base form of verbBase form of verb 3. PassivePassive
A. WORD STUDY PrefixMeaning Mini-Small/ short
1.EXAMPLES MMinidress: a very short dress MMinicab: taxi that you have to order by telephone and can’t stop in the street MMinibus: small vehicle with seats for about 12 people MMinimart: small shop MMinipill: pill taken by women to prevent them from pregnant MMiniskirt: short skirt MMinibar: small fridge in a hotel room
2. EXERCISE: Choose the suitable words from the box to fill in the blanks in the following exchanges 1.A: what do you think if girls are allowed to wear short skirts at school? B: Oh! I don’t think it’s a good idea. Schoolgirls should not wear __________ while at school. Minibar minibreak minibus miniskirt(s) minicomputer miniskirts
2. A: what do you really need when you feel tired? B: well, a_________, I think. 3. A: what sorts of vehicle shall we hire for our trip to Phong Nha Cave? B: I guess a ________ that can take a group of 12 people would be very convenient. 4. A: excuse me. Where can I find some drinks while in the hotel room? B: um, you can find some in the ________, I’m sure. minibreak minibus minibar
B. GRAMMAR Base form of verbs 1. Bare infinitive: bare infinitive is often used after -The modal verbs: can/could, shall/should, will/would, may, might, must, ought to Ex: I should study tonight. Can I borrow your pen? -Similar expressions: had better, be to, be supposed to, have to, have got to, be going to.
Ex: You are to be here at 9:00. I have to go to class today. -Verbs of conception (refer to a complete action): see, notice, watch, look at, observe, hear, listen to, feel, smell. Ex: I heard the rain fall into the roof. I saw my friend run down the street. -Let, make, help, have Ex: I let my friend borrow my bicycle. I had my brother carry my suitcase.
2. To infinitive: to infinitive is used after: -Verb + to infinitive: afford, agree, appear, arrange, ask, attempt beg, care, claim, consent, dare, decide, demand, deserve, expect, fail, forget, happen, hesitate, hope, intend, learn, manage, mean, need, offer, plan, prepare, pretend, promise, refuse, seem, tend, want, wish, would like. Ex: I expect to pass the test. He promised to be here by ten. She intends to buy a house.
-Verb + Object + to infinitive: advise, allow, ask, beg, cause, enable, challenge, convince, dare, encourage, expect, forbid, force, get, hire, instruct, invite, need, order, permit, persuade, recommend, remind, require, teach, tell, urge, want, warn, would like. Ex: She challenged me to race her to the corner. I urged him to apply for the job. I forbid you to tell him. I persuaded him to come for a visit.
-Infinitive of purpose: In order to, so as to Ex: He came here in order to study English. I went to the store so as to buy some bread. -Be +Adj Ex: It’s dangerous to drive fast. It’s easy to learn English. We were sorry to hear the bad news. I was surprised to see Tim at the meeting. It’s difficult to do this exercise.
-Infinitives with TOO and ENOUGH Ex: That box is too heavy for Bob to lift. My brother is too young to drive car. I strong enough to lift that box. She is tall enough to play volleyball. -Passive form: be + past participle Ex: Students are made to work harder by the teacher. He was seen to climb through the window. She is said to be a famous person.
Exercise 1 Complete the sentences, using the appropriate passive form of the verbs in the box. 1.Note that all the exercises for homework must ___________ with care. 2.These dishes were thought___________ of ceramics. Prepare, check, bring, display, select, make be prepared to be made
3. These new products are ____________ in the Expo next year. 4. This precious huge diamond was arranged _____________ into the museum in a few days. 5. The manager doesn’t allow the secret documents ____________. 6. The candidates should ____________ carefully. to be displayed to be brought to be checked be selected
Exercise 2 Use the base form of the verbs in parentheses appropriately. A: Hi! It’s very cold today, isn’t it? B: (Coughing) Yes, it is. I’d rather (stay) home in such cold weather. (Coughing) And I must (hand) in my assignment on time. A: Oh! I guess you’ve got a cold. You’d better (see) the doctor about your cough. B: Thanks. Mm. I’m going to (see) the doctor this afternoon. (Coughing) Well, I’m in a hurry. Bye-bye. See you then. A: Bye. See you later. (stay- - hand) (see)
C- Revision I- Word Formation Make sentences with the words given. The first one has been done for you. Minibus 1. We took a minibus to get to the target village. Mini-bar 2. ____________________________ Minidisk 3. ________________________ Mini-break 4. ____________________________ Minicomputer 5. ____________________ Is there a mini-bar in your hotel room We should use a minidisk to contain this file. You should take a mini-break when you are tired Is this the minicomputer you told me about?
II- Base form of verbs Check the box next to the correct form of the verbs. 1. My brother wants (join) the local organization of volunteers. 2. This task should (do) first. 3. She let her children (stay up) very late. 4. Did he ask you (play) with the children (to join) (be done) (stay up) (to play)
5. We’ll be able (open) literacy classes in this village. 6. I see the children (go up) and down the street in front of my house. 7. They may (come) to our village in a few days. 8. You’d better (come) with us. 9. Would you like (eat) now or wait for Phi to join us? 10. I need (go) now. 11. Remember (bring) mosquito nets. 12. You may wonder why I have arranged (meet) all of you today. (to open) (go up) (come) (to eat) (to go) (to bring) (to meet)
III- Passive Work with a partner. Read the sentences carefully and then rewrite them in a passive voice. The first one has been done for you. Nam’s group of volunteers went to work in a small remote village in the central part of Viet Nam. The task manager is reviewing things to be done at the village. 1.We’ll pack things before we leave. Things will be packed before we leave.
2. We‘ll build a dozen huts with bamboo and palm leaves. ____________________________________________ 3. We’ll widen the two canals running through the village. ____________________________________________ 4. We’ll trim the children’s hair. ____________________________________________ 5. We’ll repair the furniture in the village school. ____________________________________________ 6.We’ll dig a few wells for the villagers. ____________________________________________ A dozen huts with bamboo and leaves will be built. Two canals running through the village will be widened The children’s hair will be trimmed The furniture in the village school will be repaired A few wells will be dug for the villagers
7. We’ll teach the village children some songs and games. _____________________________________________ 8. We’ll persuade the villagers to get rid of their superstition.________________________________ 9. We’ll organize a cultural program to entertain them._________________________________ 10. We’ll offer clothes and medicine to a few childless old people. ______________________________________ 11. We’ll teach the children some simple sanitary rules. ___________________________________________ The village children will be taught some songs and games The villagers will be persuaded to …. A cultural program will be organized to entertain them. Clothes and medicine will be offered to a few… The children will be taught some simple sanitary rules
THANK FOR YOUR ATTENTION HAVE A GOOD TIME LET’S RELAX BY LISTENING TO A BEAUTIFUL SONG