Presentation on theme: "Welcome. Multiple choice. 1. Which flag is American flag? A. B. C. 2. Which city is the capital of the USA? A.New York B.Washington D.C C.Los Angeles."— Presentation transcript:
Multiple choice. 1. Which flag is American flag? A. B. C. 2. Which city is the capital of the USA? A.New York B.Washington D.C C.Los Angeles (the stars and stripes)
3. Who is the person on the one-dollar note? A. Jefferson B. Washington C. Franklin 4. How many states were there when the US was formed? A. 25 B. 13 C. 18 5. George Bush is the ____ president in the USA. A.41st & 42nd B. 43rd &44th C. 44th & 45th
6. Which is the American National Anthem? A. the Marseillaise B. God Save Queen C. the Star-Spangled Banner D. O Canada 7. Which of the following company isnt located in Silicon Valley? A.Apple B. Intel C. Google D. IBM
8. Which bird is American bird? A.Black swan B. the Bald Eagle C.Barn swallow D.Kiwi
9. Which sport isnt so popular in America? A.Baseball B. football C. Basketball D. soccer 10. If you see a person with dark skin, it is better for you to call him ___. A.Negro B.Black C.Colored
Step 1 quiz : T or F How much do you know of America? 1.New York is the largest state in the US. ( ) 2. The Constitution was written in 1779. ( ) 3. Atlanta is known as the Big Apple. ( ) 4. Lincoln abolished the slavery. ( ) F T F F New York city In 1789
5. There are 52 stars on the American flag. ( ) 6. George Washington was the first American President. ( ) 7. The first settlers arrived in North America about 30,000 years ago. ( ) 8. The Mississippi River is the longest river in the world. ( ) F T T F 50 stars The fourth longest
Step 2 Pre-reading 30,000 years ago 1620 1861 1865 1930s 1960s The arrival of Native Americans The arrival of European settlers The American Civil War The Great Depression The Civil Rights Movement 1620, Mayflower Reconstruction
Step 4 Careful reading 1. What kind of sufferings does the South have in its history? 2. How does the text make us know that the history of America is also one of hope and success?
1. What kind of sufferings does the South have in its history? 1. the suffering of… Part 1 Suffering. 2. the pains of… 3. the death and poverty of… 4. the hardships of… 5. the sacrifices of…
Part 2 Hope and success. By showing us examples of the hope and success of some cities. Atlanta Birmingham Miami Little Rock 2. How does the text make us know that the history of America is also one of hope and success?
Which of the followings are mentioned in the text? ( ) Segregation & civil rights movements. ( ) Geography and climate. No Yes ( ) society & economy development ( ) Hardship & suffering of the South ( ) Sports & culture ( ) Custom & film Yes No
$ 1.64 social development reconstruction development 1864--1869 post-war influence economical development the Great Depression
1. Atlantics African-American community grew Development The Olympic Games in 1996 Please show some signs for the economical and social development of Atlanta: 2. Black business became successful 3. Modern Atlanta
Development 1. Atlantics African-American community grew 2. Black business became successful 3. Modern Atlanta A booming business center The home of great companies in America The Olympic Games in 1996
Martin Luther King, Jr 1. Fought against the racial segregation 2. Organized non-violent demonstrations 3. Led a series of fierce fights in the 1960s 4. Got murdered in 1968
Step 5 Post-reading Find examples for the statements from the text. 1. The people of Atlanta rebuilt the city almost from nothing. 2. The fights between blacks and whites in the 1960s were fierce. 3. The fight against segregation was widely supported by the blacks. Statements $ 1.64 King was murdered. King was honored by...
4. The South has taken the chance to display its new image to the whole world. 5. The story of the South is also about hope and success. Statements Olympic Games in 1996. Atlanta and other southern cities
Step 5 Discussion In para 5 there is a sentence : Like many other cities, Atlanta is representative of the new South, a place where hope and faith have replaced fear and doubt. 1. What does the red part refer to? 2. Why is Atlanta in many ways a typical southern city?