Presentation on theme: "Unit 9 Saving the earth Air pollution water pollution."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 9 Saving the earth
The area of desert is growing. desertification
War and violence
What can we do to solve the problems? air pollution water pollution waste pollution deforestation desertificationnoise pollution war and violencestarvation disease poverty
Effects Cause bad weather (sandstorm). Lands or montains turn into desert. Cause starvation. Causes Cut too much wood. Rich surface soil will be blown away by wind or washed by rain down to hills and into rivers. Sollutions Use less wood. Plant more new trees. /Try to make desert areas become green land. DeforestationDesertification
Rubbish/waste pollution Effects Make the environment ugly,dirty and even dangerous. Cause diseases. Causes Throw rubbish in the streets or in nature. Buy products that use too much packaging. Sollutions Throw waste in rubbish bins. Buy products that use less packaging. Recycle as much as possible.
Effects Make people get sick or even die. Make the environment dirty. Cause acid rain( ). Causes Factories,power stations,cars,air conditioners give off waste gas. Burn coal and oil. Sollutions The harmful smoke should be made harmless before it goes into the air. Ride bikes more. Limit the number of cars./Make cars that don t pollute the air. Air pollution
Effects Cause society problems:violence, crime … Many people die. Causes Wars Uneven distributions of wealth Lack of education Sollutions No wars Rich countries should help people who can t get enough food or education. starvation
Effects Many people don t have enough clean drinking water. Make people get sick. Causes Factories pour waste into rivers/lakes/seas. People throw rubbish into rivers/lakes. Sollution s Use new technology to make sure that factories are green and clean. Clean the water in the rivers/lakes. Save water in our daily life. Water pollution
Waste from factories and cities should be stopped. We can use new technologies to deal with the waste water. We should also be more careful with our water, try to use less and recycle as much water as possible. We can reduce the amount of garbage/rubbish by producing and buying products that use less packaging or wrapping. We should never throw rubbish in the streets or in nature. We should also try to recycle as much as possible
basket rubbish make lawsplant trees recycle batteries take bike
1.More stores recycle batteries. 2.Plant trees every year. 3.Ride bikes to work. 4.Students study environmental issues in school. Proposals 5.Use the handkerchief instead of the paper napkin.( 6.Use paper bags instead of plastic bags.
7. Go to work on foot or by bike not by car. 8. Throw cans, bottles, paper and plastic into the dustbin. 9. Dont use one-off chopsticks, lunch-boxes or disposable cups. 10. Dont send post-cards, but send electronic cards by .
11. Dont throw rubbish everywhere. 12. Dont make a lot of noise. 13. Dont waste water. 14. Dont waste electricity. 15. Dont destroy trees or grass.
16.Throw waste into rubbish bins; 17.We must save our food. We should get as much food as we need. 18.Never throw rubbish into rivers or lakes. 19.We must save paper. 20.Use both sides of every piece of paper. 21.Recycle paper or cans. 22.Buy products that use less package.
Unit 9 Saving the earth reading Welcome to the Earth Summit
air pollutionwater pollutionwaste pollution deforestationdesertificationnoise pollution war and violence poverty and starvation incurable disease What can we do to solve these problems?
the highest point; top of a mountain meeting between the heads of two or more countries Earth Summit: summit ( )
Welcome to the Earth Summit!
1. How many earth summits are mentioned in the passage? 2. What are the following numbers related to? 3,000,000 7,000,000 20% 3. In which areas is air pollution a very serious problem? listening two Air pollution alone causes almost three million deaths. The big three cause more than seven million deaths every year. 20% of the people on earth do not have access to clean drinking water.
3. In which areas is air pollution a very serious problem? Air pollution is a big problem in rural areas and it is also a big problem in very large cities, especially in developing countries.
Part (1) Part (1) Part (2~3) Part (2~3) Part (4~6) Part (4~6) Part ( 7) Part ( 7) Please read the text carefully, then match the main idea with each part. A. The meaning of the Earth Summit. B. Education is the key to the solutions for the future. C. The beginning of the Earth Summit and the purpose of holding it. D. The topics of the Earth Summit.
Competition Try your best to find out the answers to the following questions. Each correct answer can add one point to your group. The group who gets the most points will win. Group 1 Group 2 Group 3Group 4 Details reading
1. When and where was the first Earth Summit held? 2. Whats the purpose of the first Earth Summit? In 1972 in Stockholm, Sweden. To share ideas about ways to take better care of the earth. Para. 1
3. Where was the 2002 Earth Summit held? 4. Whats the main theme of this Earth Summit? In Johannesburg in South Africa. Sustainable development.
5.Whats the big three? contaminated drinking water poor sanitation air pollution the three biggest killers in the world Para. 2
6.What do we mean by saying sustainable development? How we can continue developing the world without damaging the environment.
7. How many people die from the big three every year? 8. How many people die from air pollution every year? More than seven million. Almost three million.
9. What other problems were talked about in the meeting? Poverty, war and violence. Para.3
10. Global development is necessary. At the same time, global development has bad effect( ) on us. In the text, whats the bad effect? That rich people get richer while the poor get poorer.
11. How to solve this problem that rich people get richer while the poor get poorer? Rich countries have a responsibility towards poor countries and must do whatever they can to help the poor countries.
Para.4: 12. How can we save the earth? Only by changing the way we live can we save the earth.
Para.4-6: 13. Do you think the Earth Summit is meaningful and helpful? Why? To help people understand that there exists serious problems and that there is still time to take action. To tell us what we can do to help. To make people know that if all of us make small changes, we could make a big difference.
Para In order to solve the problem, whats the most important thing in the future? Education.
15. Why is education so important? With better education, people will be able to build a better society in harmony with nature and perhaps put an end to the death and suffering caused by the big three.
Competition Try your best to find out the answers to the following questions. Each correct answer can add one point to your group. The group who gets the most points will win. Group 1Group 2 Group 3Group 4 Details reading
summary Use the useful expressions and phrases we learned in the text to fill the blanks.
The Earth Summit is an international big meeting dealing with serious problems on the earth. The first Earth Summit in 1972 is to share ideas about ways to ________________the earth. One of the main themes of the Earth Summit in 2002 was ______________________. Most of the speakers in the summit talked about the big there, the three _________________ in the world--- ________________________,poor sanitation and _________. The Earth Summit helps people understand there exist ________________ and that there is still time to __________. It can also tell us what we can do to help. ___________ is the key to the future. With better education, people will be able to build a better society ______________ nature and perhaps ________________ the death and suffering caused by the big three. If the world becomes less unfair and if people can get better education, much of the poverty can be __________. take better care of sustainable development biggest killers contaminated drinking waterair pollution serious problems take action Education in harmony with put an end to wiped out
TALKIN G Imagine that youre taking part in a United nations youth programme aimed at improving and protecting the environment. Your group has been asked to decide which problem is the most important and suggest ways of dealing with it.
Man has but one earth ! To save the earth is to save man himself! Goodbye
1. 1. In 1972, the United Nations held a meeting in Stockholm, Sweden to share ideas about how we can save the earth. 2. In Johannesburg, experts from all over the world spoke about different topics and discussed new ways to solve the problems facing our planet now. ways to take better care of the earth. old problems True or false 3. In the world, developing countries can prosper on their own. Without international cooperation, developing countries cannot prosper, nor will sustainable development be possible.