Presentation on theme: "Section A Unit 6 Im more outgoing than my sister."— Presentation transcript:
Section A Unit 6 Im more outgoing than my sister.
Structures: Is that Tara? No, it isnt. Its Tina. Taras shorter than Tina. Pedro is funnier than Paul. Tina is taller than Tara. Tom is more athletic than Sam.
Tom Sam Tara Tina Pedro Paul
1a Match each word with its opposite. tall wild thin short hair long hair heavy calm short quiet outgoing
b Listen and number the pairs of twins 1-3 in the picture.
Conversation 1 A: Is that Sam? B: No, thats Tom. Sam has ________ hair than Tom. A: Yes, and Toms ________ than Sam. longer calmer
Conversation 2 A: Thats Tara, isnt it? B: No, it isnt. Its Tina. Tina is ________ than Tara. And shes also ________. taller wilder
Conversation 3 A: Is that Paul? B: No, thats Pedro. Pedros ________ than Paul. And Pauls ________ than Pedro. heavier shorter
Conversation 1 A: Is that Sam? B: No, thats Tom. Sam has longer hair than Tom. A: Yes, and Toms calmer than Sam. 1b Tapescripts
Conversation 2 A: Thats Tara, isnt it? B: No, it isnt. Its Tina. Tina is taller than Tara. And shes also wilder. 1b Tapescripts
Conversation 3 A: Is that Paul? B: No, thats Pedro. Pedros heavier than Paul. And Pauls shorter than Pedro. 1b Tapescripts
Pairwork: A: Is that Tara? B: No, it isnt. Its Tina. Taras shorter than Tina.
Possible answers to 1c: 1. A: Is that Paul? B: No, it isnt. Its Pedro. Paul is shorter than Pedro. 2. A: Is that Tom? B: No, it isnt. Its Sam. Sam is wilder than Tom. 3. A: Is that Tina? B: No, it isnt. Its Tara. Tara is thinner than Tina. 4. A: Is that Pedro? B: No, it isnt. Its Paul. Pedro is thinner than Paul.
-er / -ier more funny smart quiet outgoing athletic serious 2a Listen. Are the words in the box used with -er / -ier or more? Complete the chart.
Tina is … Tara is … funnier more outgoing more athletic more serious smarter quieter 2b Listen again. How are Tina and Tara different? Fill in the charts.
Tina, do you think you are different from Tara? Oh, sure. Were very different. Im funnier than Tara. And Im more outgoing. Lets see, what else? Oh, Im more athletic, too. So, Tara, are you more serious than Tina? I guess so. But Im smarter than Tina. And Im quieter. Interviewer: Tina: Interviewer: Tara: Tape scripts of 2a &2b
2c Pairwork Is Tom smarter than Sam? Yes, he is. No, he isnt. Sam is smarter than Tom. TomSam smart ****
3a Read and answer the questions. 2. Who has longer hair? 5. Who is more athletic? 1. Who is the letter from? 4. Who is smarter? 3. How many subjects are mentioned? What are they? Its from Liu Li. Liu Ying has longer hair. Three. They are physics, chemistry and P.E. Liu Li is smarter. Liu Ying is more athletic.
3a Read the article. Then read the statements about the article. Write T (for true), F (for false) or DK (for dont know). ( ) 1. Liu Li has more than one sister. ( ) 2. Liu Li and Liu Ying have some things in common ( ). ( ) 3. Liu Ying is not as good at sports as her sister. ( ) 4. Liu Ying talks more than Liu Li. ( ) 5. Liu Yings favorite subject is physics. ( ) 6. Both girls go to lots of parties. DK T F T F
The same Difference Looks We both have __________ and ___________. My hair is ______ than hers. Personalities Liu Ying is ____________ and ________________ than me. I m __________. I m ____________ than her. Subjects My favorite subjects are _____ and _________. Hers is _______. HobbiesWe both like ___________. We both enjoy __________. Listen to the tape and fill in the form. black eyes black hair shorter more athletic more outgoing quieter smarter physicschemistry P.E. sports going to parties
The same Difference Looks Personalities Subjects Hobbies Talk about Liu Li and Liu Ying.
1. twin sister 2. as you can see 3. in some ways 4. look the same 5. look different 6. more than 7. enjoy doing sth. 8. as … as … …… 9. not as … as … …… 10. in common 11. a little taller 12. go to lots of parties = often go to the party
1. Here are the photos of me and my sister Liu Ying. Here / There e.g. Here is your book. e.g. Here you are. Here he comes. e.g. There goes the bell.
2. As you can see, in some ways we look the same, and in some ways we look different. A and B look the same. ( ) A looks like B. ( ……) e.g. Lily and Lucy look the same. e.g. Lily looks like Lucy. look e.g. look young / old / tired / nice
3. We both have black eyes and black hair, although my hair is shorter than hers. 1 both / …… ( be ) Both (of) his parents are doctors. = His parents are both doctors. They both went camping in the holiday. both … and … e.g. Both English and math are very important. both all
2 although though but though though although There are some differences, though. even though even although 3 hers her hair
4. She has more than one sister. more than more … than … …… …… e.g. He has more books than me.
5. They have some things in common. in common / something some things
6. Li Ying is not as good at sports as her sister. 1 as … as … …… …… as not as / so … as …… e.g. He runs as quickly as his father. She doesnt study so / as hard as her brother (does). 2 be good at sth. / doing sth. e.g. They are good at playing badminton. Im not good at painting.
1. short 2. longer 3. more outgoing 4. different 5. quiet 1. D 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. A 6. B 7. C 8. C 9. D 10. B 11. D 12. D 13. B 14. A 1. more and more 2. better; listening 3. funny; laugh 4. calmer / quieter; most 5. hard
Key to Test A: A. 1, 2: serious; plays soccer 3, 4, 5: plays volleyball and baseball; funny; outgoing B. 1. c 2. b 3. a 4. f 5. e C. 1. funny 2. heavier 3. wilder 4. smart 5. calmer D. 1. more athletic 2. wilder 3. more outgoing 4. smarter 5. quieter E. Answers will vary.