1. Energy Star appliances exceed minimum US Government energy standards by ______% or more? a. 15% b. 10% c. 30% d. 50%
2. Select the statement below that is incorrect. a. In addition to washing dishes, dishwashers should be used to warm dishes. b. Dishes should not be washed in water greater than 130°F. c. Dishwashers require 9.9 gallons of water per wash d. a and b e. a and c
3. What description best describes an integrated appliance? a. An appliance frame with panels that extend to the floor b. Appliances that are completely hidden and built into the cabinetry c. Appliances that are 24 deep and installed flush with the adjacent cabinets
4. What description best describes a boxed in appliance? a. An appliance frame with panels that extend to the floor b. Appliances that are completely hidden and built into the cabinetry c. Appliances that are 24 deep and installed flush with the adjacent cabinets
5. What description best describes a built-in appliance? a. An appliance frame with panels that extend to the floor b. Appliances that are completely hidden and built into the cabinetry c. Appliances that are 24 deep and installed flush with the adjacent cabinets
6. According to the NKBA the most accessible shelf space is located between _________ and _________. a. 48 56 b. 12 36 c. 36 48 d. 22 56
7. In order to prevent food waste particles from having to flow up hill as they enter the drain system, the centerline of the drain pipe in the wall should be between _____ and ____. a. 12 and 15 b. 17 and 19 c. 15 and 24 d. None of the above
8. Your clients has expressed a concern about their young children getting injured by the new disposer beings installed in their new kitchen remodel. What should you suggest as a solution to this concern? a. Recommend a batch feed disposal b. Recommend that they demonstrate the proper use of the disposer to their children. c. Recommend a continuous feed disposer. d. Recommend plugging the disposer into a GFCI receptacle.
9. What is the best water temperature for dishwashing? a. Between 150° and 170° b. 130° c. Between 140° and 160° d. Between 115° and 120°
10. Select the most energy efficient method of heat transfer when cooking food. a. Convection b. Conduction c. Induction d. All methods are equally energy efficient.
11. Special cookware is required for induction cooking. a. true b. false
12 The two primary means of heat transfer used in oven cooking are radiation and induction. a. true b. false
13. A BTU is a unit of heat energy; the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one ______ of water by one degree F. a. pound b. gallon c. quart d. none of the above
14.What determines the size of the gas piping servicing a gas appliance? a. Whether LP or Natural gas is being used b. The number of BTUs required by the appliance c. The length of the pipe run from the meter to the appliance d. None of the above e. Both a and c
15. Your customer has asked you to recommend a self cleaning oven. Which statement(s) below are correct? a. A pyrolytic self cleaning system is mixed into the porcelain enamel coating on the oven liner panels. b. A catalytic self cleaning system when not part of a convection oven tends to be unacceptable for maintaining a clean appearance. c. Pyrolytic self cleaning systems have extra insulation for the 850° to 1000° cleaning cycle. This insulation means cooler cooking throughout the rest of the year. d. a, b and c e. b and c
16. Select the correct statement(s) relating to microwave ovens. a. The vibration amplitude of a microwave is about the same thickness as a pencil lead. b. The magnetron is the device that creates the microwave c. A transformer within the oven converts the 120 or 240 volts into a voltage between 3000 to 6000 volts. d. a, b and c e. b and c
17. Oven cabinets are made in three widths to accommodate single and double ovens. They are: a. 24, 30, 36 b. 30, 36 48 c. 24, 27, 30 d. 27, 30, 33
18. Select the best description of a cooktop: a. A self contained surface unit, which drops into a cut- out in the countertop. b. A unit requiring a lowered cabinet height to accommodate the front panel controls. c. A unit that slides into an opening between two cabinets d. A unit that sets in a cutout in the countertop and has a front finished panel connecting it to the adjacent cabinets
19. Slide-in and free standing ranges are both characterized by the following: a. Both types are typically used in high end kitchen remodels b. Models with controls along the ranges backsplash should be avoided c. Models with controls along the ranges backsplash are ideal d. a and c
20. Dual fuel commercial ranges are typically free standing with gas cooktop above and electric oven below. a. true b. false
21. Which statements are true in regards to steam ovens? a. Steam ovens are more difficult to clean than conventional ovens b. They reduce shrinkage in meats and fish c. Steam ovens require a boiler which is mounted in an adjacent cabinet d. None of the above
22. Your client does a lot of gourmet cooking and wants a cooktop that features instant on an off but they are concerned about the safety of gas. What other type of cooktop would you recommend? a. A ceramic top electric resistance heat source cooktop b. A ceramic top with halogen burners c. A solid disk (electric hob) type cooktop d. A ceramic top induction cooktop
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.