Presentation on theme: "1. What are longitude lines? 2. What are latitude lines? 3. What do symbols on a map stand for?"— Presentation transcript:
1. What are longitude lines? 2. What are latitude lines? 3. What do symbols on a map stand for?
1. Longitude lines are imaginary lines that run north and south. These lines are also known as meridians. 2. Latitude lines are imaginary lines that run east to west of the globe. These lines are also called parallels. 3. Symbols on a map represent capital cities, economic activities or natural resources. A feature on a map that represents something on earth.
1. What is the purpose of a physical map? 2. What is the purpose of a political map? 3. What are distortions?
1. A physical map shows the landforms and bodies of water in a specific area. 2. A political map shows the features on the earth’s surface that are created by humans. 3. Distortions show size and shapes that are not accurate by twisting them out of natural or regular shape and this changes the true meaning.
1. List the seven continents. 2. What divides the southern and northern hemispheres? 3. What are projections?
1. Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South America 2. The equator 3. Projections show/distort the curved surface of the Earth on a flat map.
1. What are the four hemispheres? 2. What is the purpose of a map key? 3. What do boundary lines show? 4. Name the cardinal directions. 5. Name the intermediate directions.
1. Northern, Southern, Eastern, & Western 2. Map keys help explain the symbols, lines, colors, etc. that are located on a map. A map key is also called a legend. 3. Boundary lines show the extent of an area’s territory or political influence. 4. North, South, East, and West 5. Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, and Northwest