Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

IB Blood Photo Credit: © Image Shop/Phototake.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "IB Blood Photo Credit: © Image Shop/Phototake."— Presentation transcript:

1 IB Blood Photo Credit: © Image Shop/Phototake

2 Blood Blood is a connective tissue that contains both dissolved substances and specialized cells.

3 The four functions of blood include:
collecting oxygen from the lungs, nutrients from the digestive tract, and waste products (urea & CO2) from tissues. regulating the body’s internal environment (via transporting hormones & heat). helping to fight infections (via transporting antibodies & Phagocytes). forming clots to repair damaged blood vessels.

4 Copyright Pearson Prentice Hall
IB LEARNING OBJECTIVE Identify five things are transported by the blood Copyright Pearson Prentice Hall

5 Copyright Pearson Prentice Hall

6 Copyright Pearson Prentice Hall
IB Assessment Statement State that blood is composed of plasma, erthrocytes, leucocytes (phagocytes and lymphocytes) and platelets. Copyright Pearson Prentice Hall

7 Blood Plasma The body has 4–6 liters of blood.
About 45% of blood volume is cells. The other 55% is plasma —a straw-colored fluid. Plasma is 90% water and 10% dissolved gases, salts, nutrients, enzymes, hormones, waste products, and plasma proteins.

8 Blood Composition Blood Plasma Plasma Platelets White blood cells
Blood consists of plasma, blood cells, nutrients, hormones, waste products, and plasma proteins. Red blood cell Whole Blood Sample Sample Placed in Centrifuge Blood Sample That Has Been Centrifuged

9 Blood Cells The cellular portion of blood consists of:
red blood cells (erthrocytes) white blood cells (Leucocytes) platelets

10 The most numerous cells in the blood are the red blood cells.
Red blood cells are called Erythrocytes Red blood cells transport oxygen.

11 Red blood cells get their color from hemoglobin.
Hemoglobin is an iron-containing protein that transports oxygen from the lungs to tissues of the body.

12 They are produced in red bone marrow. They have no nuclei.
Blood Cells Red blood cells (erthrocytes) look like disks that are thinner in the center. They are produced in red bone marrow. They have no nuclei. They live for about 120 days. Then they are destroyed by the liver.

13 White Blood Cells -- Leukocytes
White blood cells do not contain hemoglobin. They are less common than red cells. White blood cells are produced in bone marrow. They contain nuclei. White blood cells may live for days, months, or years.

14 White blood cells are the “army” of the circulatory system—they
guard against infection, fight parasites, attack bacteria.

15 There are many types of white blood cells.
Phagocytes engulf (eat) and digest bacteria and other disease-causing microorganisms.

16 B Lymphocytes produce antibodies.
Blood Cells B Lymphocytes produce antibodies. Antibodies are essential to fighting infection and help to produce immunity to many diseases.

Download ppt "IB Blood Photo Credit: © Image Shop/Phototake."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google