1. The ___________________ movement was an attempt to reduce or eliminate the use of alcohol in the United States.
2. The leader of the prison reform movement was A. Horace Mann B. Dorothea Dix C. William Lloyd Garrison D. David Walker
3. What Transcendentalist believed in civil disobedience and inspired future leaders like Martin Luther King and Gandhi? A. Ralph Waldo Emerson B. James Fenimore Cooper C. Edgar Allen Poe D. Henry David Thoreau
4. Which of the following authors and his work is INCORRECTLY matched? A. Edgar Allen Poe – The Raven B. James Fenimore Cooper – The Last of the Mohicans C. Washington Irving – Moby Dick D. Nathaniel Hawthorne – The Scarlett Letter
5. Which of these individuals that was involved in the slavery debate is INCORRECTLY matched with his or her actions? A. Nat Turner – slave revolt in Virginia B. Frederick Douglass – former slave and editor of anti- slaver newspaper The Free Man C. William Lloyd Garrison – editor of The Liberator D. David Walker – An Appeal to the Colored Citizens of the World
Bonus: What religious event of the 1820s and 1830s inspired the desire to improve society?