A box that show additional information about the article’s topic.
Headlines – A short, attention-getting title in a newspaper. Byline – the name of the reporter who wrote the article. Dateline – Where the article takes place Folio – Each page in a newspaper.
A news article that contains the writer’s opinion.
Chronological Order – Time order – in order of 1 st, 2 nd, 3 rd, … Cause and Effect – One event causes a second event to take place. Problem and Solution - a problem is presented and then the solution to that problem is presented. Comparison / Contrast – Tell how things are similar and different.
* Read the article and notice all TEXT FEATURES carefully.
1. In what magazine does this article appear? 2. Does this article have a subtitle ? If so, what is it? 3. Does the article change font at any time? Explain.
4. Explain a side bar in this article. 5. List the subheadings in this article and tell why they exist. 6. Describe on photograph or picture in this article.
7. Are there any maps, graphs, or charts in this article? Explain. 8. List one of the captions in this article. 9. What is a headline ? 10. What is a byline ? 11. What is a dateline ?
1. What kind of article is this? 2. Summarize paragraphs 1 – 3. 3. What is the byline ? 4. List the caption in this article.
5. In what newspaper does this article appear? 6. Are there subheadings or subtitles in this article? 7. What is the main idea of this article?
8. List three supporting details in this article. 9. Paraphrase the last 2 paragraphs of this article.