Presentation on theme: "GLOBAL WARMING Dr. Suharyanto, MS., MSc. Fakulty of Biology Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia."— Presentation transcript:
GLOBAL WARMING Dr. Suharyanto, MS., MSc. Fakulty of Biology Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
Background Earth is our residence. It is our responsibility to love and take care of it from ruining.
Global warming is the increase in the average measured temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans and its projected continuation. Definition
CONDITION OF EARTH NOW: 1.World forest more and more hairless because it is always cut away. 2. Besides drinking water in bottle, it also has been sold air in the bottle. 3. Various animal types can be extinct.
CONDITION OF EARTH in 2500: 1.Animal and trees will be made of machine or robot. 2.When people go out from their house they must use special anti sunshine clothes and oxygen tube. 3.Man will move to other planet, possibly to destroy it again. if we still cool,
How We Contribute to Global Warming? Burning natural gas, coal and oil including fuel, raises the level of CO ₂ in the atmosphere. Some farming practices and land usage increase methane and nitrous oxide’s level. Many factories produce poisonous gases industrial produce gases that don’t occur naturally, yet contribute to the enhanced global warming.
Deforestation contributes to global warming Trees use CO ₂ and give off O ₂. Population growth Many people use fossil fuel, for heating, transportation and manufacturing.
World population versus food production Billions About 5.5 billion people in 2000 and about 11 billion people predicted by 2050. Decrease of agricultural areas ► Expansion of towns/roads ► Soil degradation ► Erosion 1 hectare is lost every 6.67 seconds Agriculture for non-food uses ► bio-fuels ► fibers ► wood Increase of crop productivity and quality is necessary
date | pag. 9 27/8/07 World cultivated area versus world clock
2. Warmer waters and more hurricanes Because the temperature of oceans rises 5 Deadliest Effects of Global Warming 1. Spread of disease Insect bringing plague and disease 3. Increase the droughts and heat waves Earth will suffer serious droughts and heat waves
5. Polar ice caps melting The sea levels rises, temperature rises, and snowball with the ice caps gone 4. Economic consequences Damage and diseases cost more money
1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Using recycle, reusable, and minimal packaging products. 2. Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning Turn down the heat at night or during the day, and keep temperatures moderate at all times. 3. Change a Light Bulb Replace regular light bulbs with CFL bulbs. Top 10 Things to Reduce Global Warming
4. Drive Less and Drive Smart Saving gasoline, reduce emission. 5. Buy Energy-Efficient Products Avoid excess packaging products and can't be recycled. 6. Use Less Hot Water Set your water heater at 120 degrees to save energy. 7. Use the "Off" Switch Using electricity as much as you need.
8. Plant a Tree Tree absorb carbon dioxide and give off oxygen. 9. Get a Report Card Many utility companies offer rebate programs to help pay for the cost of energy-efficient upgrades. 10. Encourage Others to Conserve Share information about global warming to each other.
Conclusion Now, earth is more and more dangerous. We are some of the causes of it and there are more diseases. By easy things we can reduce global warming.