Presentation on theme: "1 Job Search Workshop Inuvialuit Career Centre April 2006."— Presentation transcript:
1 Job Search Workshop Inuvialuit Career Centre April 2006
2 Agenda Market the Product - YOU Where Are The Jobs? Types of Work Job Search Techniques & Tools Work Search Plan Follow-up Activities Additional Help at the Inuvialuit Career Centre
3 The Product is You What are my skills, interests, knowledge? What are my strengths? Past achievements … you have many! What do I have to offer an employer? What makes me unique or different? Anticipate employer rejection or resistance – how do you handle your emotions? Know your product – know you!
4 Where Are The Jobs? Time to Do Some Labour Market Research Target specific companies and industries that interest you … Or target key decision-makers in the department in which you would like to work Send a personalized cover letter and resume to this person … but before you do ask yourself “Do I have all the required qualifications” Follow up with a phone call
5 The Visible Job Market Did you know that only 20% of job opportunities are publicly advertised? Newspaper Classifieds, Job Banks, Job Boards Employment Agencies Professional Associations Career Centres like the Inuvialuit Career Centre So where are the other 80%? CLASSIFIED Help Wanted
6 The Hidden Job Market Represents 80% of the jobs not being advertised elsewhere. Reach them by: Networking Targeted employer networking Informational interviews Volunteering Trade journals/Publications/Libraries Business directories
7 How Employers Prefer to Hire Most Employers Start Here Adapted from: Nell Smith Career Services & Richard Bolles “What Color is Your Parachute?” Ads Employment Agencies Cold Calls/Walk-ins Existing Resumes Friends of people they know People they know/colleagues Most Job Seekers Start Here
8 Types of Work Full-time Work More than 30 hours per week Part-time Work Less than 30 hours per week Job Sharing When two people share one full-time position Temporary Work Often obtained through an agency Can be the first step to a full-time position Contract Work Contracting to work for a specific period of time or for a specific project Casual/On Call Filling in when needed, often on short notice Seasonal Work A season of steady work followed by a period of unemployment Telecommuting Working from home using technology Volunteering Offering knowledge, time and experience without repayment
9 Networking Put together a list of your personal and professional contacts Let them know about your job search and ask for referrals to anyone they know who may be able to help Start with a letter or e-mail and follow up with a more personal call or meeting Cultivate your network throughout your career
10 Targeted Networking Target specific companies and industries that interest you Target key decision-makers in the department in which you would like to work Send a personalized cover letter and resume to this person Follow up with a phone call
11 Volunteering Donate your time, knowledge and experience to an organization Opportunity to network Explore a new field of work Many organizations offer training for volunteers – learn new skills Get work experience and references
12 Informational Interviewing Arrange a time to talk with people who work in your field of interest. The goal is to get valuable information for your work search – advice, contacts, leads Remember, you are not asking for a job, but merely exploring options Do your homework
13 Informational Interview Telephone Call Good Afternoon ___________________. My name is ____________________, I am in the process of exploring my work options and right now I am seeking advice and information on ___________________. I would really appreciate any time you can give me to answer my questions. If this is possible, when would be an appropriate time for us to get together?
14 Work Search Plan Identify what you need … and then decide what tools you will use for a successful job search? A cover letter & resume A daily/weekly work search plan And an employer contact list Job Search
15 Today’s To Do List Monday Create an employer contact list Place 2 information calls Write some customized cover letters and resumes Tuesday Schedule informational interviews Practice what I’m going to say
16 Job Finding Tips Use a variety of methods to locate work possibilities If you are unemployed consider your job search to be a full time job Let EVERYONE know about your job search Watch and listen Visit the Inuvialuit Career Centre
17 Job Search Success Your success for job search requires: Time Effort Creativity Positive Attitude Patience Training
18 Don’t Give Up But Do Your Share! Did you know that the most qualified candidate doesn’t always get the job … It’s usually the person with the best work search skills!
19 Additional Information Online Inuvialuit Career Centre Links NWT Careers Homepage (Career Development, Employment & Labour) Service Canada