By Crystal Whitley. HOW TO PLAY Pick one of the following categories: Diabetes, Types of Diabetes, Causes and Risk Factors, or Treatment Pick a subcategory:
Published byModified over 6 years ago
Presentation on theme: "By Crystal Whitley. HOW TO PLAY Pick one of the following categories: Diabetes, Types of Diabetes, Causes and Risk Factors, or Treatment Pick a subcategory:"— Presentation transcript:
HOW TO PLAY Pick one of the following categories: Diabetes, Types of Diabetes, Causes and Risk Factors, or Treatment Pick a subcategory: 100, 200, 300 –The higher the subcategory, the harder the question Answer the question. If you answer correctly you will earn 5pts. If you answer incorrectly you will lose 5pts. The person with the highest score at the end of the game, wins!
DiabetesTypes of Diabetes Causes and Risk Factors Treatment Diabetes for 100 Type 1 Diabetes for 100 Causes and Risk Factors for 100 Treatment for 100 Diabetes for 200 Type 2 Diabetes for 200 Causes and Risk Factors for 200 Treatment for 200 Diabetes for 300 Gestational Diabetes for 300 Causes and Risk Factors for 300 Treatment for 300 HINTS/QUICK FACTS
Diabetes for 100 It is the leading cause of death in people with Diabetes Slide 4
What is Cardiovascular Disease When untreated or poorly controlled, diabetes has serious consequences. Diabetes increases a person's risk of developing hypertension and atherosclerosis (hardening/narrowing of the arteries), which eventually lead to heart disease. Slide 2
Diabetes for 200 It is a group of diseases marked by high levels of blood glucose resulting from defects in insulin production, insulin action, or both. Diabetes can lead to serious complications and premature death, but people with diabetes can take steps to control the disease and lower the risk of complications. Slide 6
Treatment for 300 The American Heart Association The American Heart Association recommends daily exercise top people who have Type 2 Diabetes because it helps control High _____ ______ and High Cholesterol, which are risk factors for Heart Attacks and Strokes. Slide 26
HINTS/QUICK FACTS There are three main types of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes, usually diagnosed in children and adolescents, occurs when the pancreas is unable to produce insulin. Insulin is a hormone that ensures body energy needs are met. Approximately 10 per cent of people with diabetes have type 1 diabetes. The remaining 90 per cent have type 2 diabetes, which occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or when the body does not effectively use the insulin that is produced. Type 2 diabetes usually develops in adulthood, although increasing numbers of children in high-risk populations are being diagnosed. A third type of diabetes, gestational diabetes, is a temporary condition that occurs during pregnancy. It affects approximately 3.5 per cent of all pregnancies and involves an increased risk of developing diabetes for both mother and child.