Presentation on theme: "Dual Credit Program Presented by Shannon Mott"— Presentation transcript:
Dual Credit Program Presented by Shannon Mott email@example.com
What is dual credit? & You earn high school and college credit for the same course! Begin a college transcript – transfer options
Course Offerings Fall 2013 English 1301 Composition I Economics 2301 Principles of Macroeconomics Math 1314 College Algebra Speech 1311 Fundamentals of Speech Communication Spring 2014 English 1302 Composition II Government 2305 Math 1316 College Algebra Speech 1311 Fundamentals of Speech Communication Courses being discussed for 2013-2014 Criminal Justice - CRIJ 1301 and CRIJ 1306 Culinary Arts - CHEF 1301 and CHEF 1305 Graphic Design - ARTC 1305 and ARTC 1325 Interior/Architectural Design - INDS 1301 and INDS 1341
Dual Credit Eligibility Available with permission from your high school Students complete the entire admissions process plus a permission form for registration at Collin College. C or better policy
Checklist Admissions: 1. Submit an Application 2. Official Transcript with test scores 3. Proof or Request for Exception - Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Testing: 4. Complete the TSI requirements Registration: 5. Register with an Academic Advisor in person After Registration 6. Pay Tuition 7. Buy books 8. Get Student ID and Parking Sticker
1. Application for Admission WHEN do I apply? –You may apply online now for Fall 2013! –Must be complete before anything else can occur at Collin. HOW? –Complete online with the Texas Common Application at ApplyTexas.org
Questions on ApplyTexas.org Create an account/profile and then an application. Collin is a two year school. You may select any available choice for major. Under Admissions Basis, you will select Dual Credit. Residency/tuition is decided based on your answers on the application. -Questions? Please contact our Admissions and Records office
2. High School Transcript Collin needs the most recent high school transcript for every student. It is used to meet testing requirements and set prerequisites. It can help prove residency and defines your status. May have vaccination information.
3. Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination State Law (SB 1107) requires all students under the age of 30 entering a higher education institution to show proof of having the vaccine prior to the start of the term. This is an admissions requirement for Collin College and should be completed before registration. May sign Request for Exception if taking courses on HS campus only.
4. Texas Success Initiative (TSI) The TSI is designed to measure competency in reading, writing, and mathematics. Students need a status in all subject areas. It is used for placement purposes. All students not eligible for an exemption must take an approved placement test prior to enrolling in any Texas public college or university.
TSI What will I need to do? Get a testing referral from Admissions and Records Office or Advising Pay at the cashier, up to $29. Schedule an appointment to test with any campus Testing Center. See an academic advisor to review your results.
What if my TSI scores are low? The purpose of this assessment is to find out what level you should start your coursework. If you do not place at “college level,” that means you need to focus on your high school work at this time. - This is NOT uncommon.
Checklist Admissions Complete! Submit an Application Official Transcript Meningitis Vaccination/ Waiver Complete the TSI requirements
5. Register for Courses with an Academic Advisor Dual Credit students must register in person with a photo ID. You will need your completed permission form with the required signatures. Pay attention to deadlines for add/drop and payment.
Summer 2013 Important Dates Open registration begins on Thursday, March 14th Summer I: June 10th-July 11th Registration and payment must be complete by: May 29th Summer II: July 15th-August 15th Registration and payment must be complete by: July 9th Summer III: June 10th-August 15 th Registration and payment must be complete by: May 29th
Fall 2013 Important Dates You can apply online at ApplyTexas.org now! We will host a designated registration at Lovejoy –watch for dates! This is the designated day, not the only day! Regular registration on Collin College campuses is June 18 th -July 31st Registration must be complete by Thursday, July 31st at 8 p.m. Fall semester is August 26th nd -December 13th
What if my student cannot attend registration? Parents may register for their student with a letter of release and a photo ID. The letter is only good for one day. Needs to include the student’s name, your name, the date, what you are going to do and the student’s signature. Template available online! –from Collin.edu click on Admissions, Forms, and Permit to Register for Another Person
6. Tuition It is up to you, the student, to have the most accurate residency information on file. In County one 3 credit hour course is: $113 $37 a credit hour Out of County one 3 credit hour course is: $221 $73 a credit hour
7. Get Books You have to buy books in college! You can find out which books you need by going online to the bookstore’s website a couple of weeks before the semester begins. You may purchase books from your preferred retailer.
8. Student ID and Parking Sticker Pick up from a Student Life office on any campus Both are FREE! Allows you to use campus services IDs available August 13 th for fall Do not need for first day of class-pick up at your convenience
Collin College Resources FREE for all Collin Students! Accommodations at Collin College for Equal Support Services (ACCESS) Career Services Counseling Library Math Lab Tutoring Writing Center
Things to Remember Time Management/Syllabus Follow Collin College policies, deadlines, and calendar –Student handbook, academic catalog, registration guide (online) Dean of Students –Plagiarism/Discipline Weather Closings Transcripts from Collin
Thank you! Shannon Mott Special Admissions Coordinator/Advisor Central Park Campus, McKinney firstname.lastname@example.org 972.548.6736 Questions? Please contact me. http://www.collin.edu/dualcredit/