Presentation on theme: "The Age of Exploration. Underlying Causes 1. Desire for Greater Wealth 2. Expanded Knowledge 3. Desire to Spread Christianity 4. Technological Advances."— Presentation transcript:
Underlying Causes 1. Desire for Greater Wealth 2. Expanded Knowledge 3. Desire to Spread Christianity 4. Technological Advances
1. Desire for Wealth A.The Crusades exposed Europeans to new products.
1. Desire for Wealth B. Marco Polo’s stories excited Europeans about the riches of the East.
1. Desire for Wealth C. Italians controlled trade in the Mediterranean Sea.
2. Expanded Knowledge -- Geographic information from both Classical and Muslim scholars motivated Europeans to explore. 3. Desire to Spread Christianity -- the Crusades had awakened an interest in converting the non-Christian peoples -- ex. The Jesuits
4. Technological Advances A. The Caravel -- a ship that allowed open ocean travel
4. Technological Advances B. The astrolabe – allowed a captain to pinpoint how far north or south of the equator he was located.
4. Technological Advances C. The magnetic compass