Presentation on theme: "The Next Step: From EUP to EUSE Margaret Burnett, Brad Myers, Mary Beth Rosson, Susan Wiedenbeck."— Presentation transcript:
The Next Step: From EUP to EUSE Margaret Burnett, Brad Myers, Mary Beth Rosson, Susan Wiedenbeck
- 2 - Beyond EUP Today, end users can create programs. –e.g., macros by demo, spreadsheets, filtering rules,web authoring tools, graphical languages... But what happens next? –Usually, bugs. –Compounded by overconfidence. –Buggy software is not effective. This workshop: how to help solve this.
- 3 - News and Events Recent events –International media interest: NSF press release, ACM TechNews, CNN.com, CBS.com, PC Magazine, IEEE Software editorial… –CHI04, CHI05 SIGs, IEEE VL/HCC04 workshop, ICSE05 workshop, many papers at recent CHIs, ICSEs, and VL/HCCs,... Here at CHI06 –Several EUP and EUSE papers, including Brads invited overview on EUP/EUSE.
- 4 - This Workshop Workshop is problem-oriented: –Focus on specific problems brought here from industry. Possible concrete outcomes –Ideas industry participants can take back. –Ideas researchers can use to focus/inform research. –Collaborations. –Survey paper. –Poster.
- 5 - Morning Agenda Understand 4 problems in industry: –Industry speakers at 15/5 Research summaries at 20/5: –Barriers to EUSE –Debugging –AI approaches in EUSE
- 6 - Round the Table Introductions
- 7 - Industry Speakers
- 8 - Break: 10:35-11:05 Next: Research summaries.
- 9 - Lunch! Mikes reservation is at 12:30. Reconvene promptly at 1:50!
Brainstorming Sessions Now: sign-ups for different 2:00 sessions. 4-5 researchers per each. We will handle reshuffle for 2:30 session and 3:00 session. Notetaker/facilitator + industry person: –Brad with Jen –Margaret with Allen/Eser –Mary Beth with Erika –Susan with Ned.
Schedule 2:00-2:30: Brainstorming session 1. 2:30-3:00: Brainstorming session 2: Reshuffle. Build if possible on previous groups ideas for this industry problem. 3:00-3:30: Brainstorming session 3. Reshuffle, build. 3:30-4:00: Back in big group, follow-ups: facilitator/industry person discusses any follow-up actions.
Brainstorming Session Rules Brainstorm start: –Generate, dont filter. –Bad ideas are as welcome as good ideas. –Some bad ideas can lead to good ideas. –Dont criticize any ideas. –Demos to illustrate can happen here too. After awhile: – Filter, critique, discuss, improve. –Clean output to feed into next sessions start.
Action Items and Follow-ups Session 3:30-4:00 Most promising ideas that might be earmarked for follow-ups by whom: –Ned with Susan –Erika with Mary Beth –Jen with Brad –Allen/Eser with Margaret Coffee break: 4:00-4:30
Final session Announcements (Margaret) Survey paper? (Andy) Poster (Margaret and Mary Beth)
The most promising ideas might be earmarked for follow-up (what & who).