Presentation on theme: "Cold War Vocab. 1) Truman Doctrine- US policy of supporting any country trying to resist any Communist takeover 2) General Assembly- the main policymaking."— Presentation transcript:
1) Truman Doctrine- US policy of supporting any country trying to resist any Communist takeover 2) General Assembly- the main policymaking and representative part of the United Natiions 3) Soviet Bloc Countries- Eastern European countries that were directly controlled by the Soviet Union 4) NATO-North Atlantic Treaty Organization, membership based around United States capitalist ideas 5) Iron Curtain-metaphor for the communist and non communist division of Eastern Europe 6) Security Council- Division of the United Nations that investigates global situations that threaten peace
7) Cold War-“War of Words” between the democratic United States and the communist Soviet Union 8) German Federal Republic- Democratic West Germany aligned with the US and NATO 9) Berlin Wall- divided capitalist West Germany and Communist East Germany that symbolized the Cold War struggles 10) Marshall Plan- US foreign policy to fund the economic recovery in Europe which would keep countries from turning to Communism 11) Warsaw Pact- Nations that were aligned with Communist Soviet Union
12) United Nations- international organization aimed to promote international peace and security 13) Denazification-removal of Nazism from Germany 14) Berlin-former capital of Germany 15) German Democratic Republic- Communist East Germany that was aligned with the Soviet Union 16) Mao Zedong-Communist revolutionary, Leader of the China revolution 17) Nikita Khrushchev-Communist leader following Joseph Stalin
18) Containment- Policy using numerous strategies to prevent the spread of communism 19) Fidel Castro- Communist revolutionary for Cuba 20) Domino theory- The idea that if one nation fell to communism the surrounding nations would also fall to communism 21) Ho Chi Minh- Communist revolutionary for Vietnam 22) Khmer Rouge- Name for the communist followers in Cambodia
23) Great Leap Forward- Economic and social campaign to transform China into a communist nation 24) Chiang Kai-shek- Nationalist leader of China who fought against the communist party 25) Long March- Expression referring to the communist party of China and their retreat to the Soviet Union 26) 38 th Parallel- Division between communist North Korea and democratic South Korea 27) Pol Pot- Leader and revolutionary of the communist party in Cambodia
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.