Presentation on theme: "Unit 7 Men and women. Describe yourself in 3 words and then describe one of your classmates by using the following sentences. 1. I think I am ____, ___."— Presentation transcript:
Describe yourself in 3 words and then describe one of your classmates by using the following sentences. 1. I think I am ____, ___ and ___. 2. First of all, I think I am ___, because I ___. Secondly, I think I am ___, because I ___. Finally I think I’m ___, because I___. 3. So I hope my friend is _____, ______ and ________.
A good person friendly open-minded generous helpful patient good-tempered trustworthy careful full of love responsible interesting brave easy-going outgoing warm-hearted unselfish tolerant intelligent humorous The qualities of a person who can be a friend of others easily :
I have a good friend. He\She is honest, brave and clever, … PleasePlease describe your best friend! He/ she is ordinary-looking, good-looking, handsome, pretty, beautiful, generous, strong, brave, friendly, kind, easygoing, honest, helpful, trusty, funny, loyal, smart, hard-working, wise, clever, warm-hearted, cool-headed, dutiful, happy, understanding, poor, rich etc.etc.
person impatient mean narrow-minded tricky lazy bad-tempered dishonest selfish The negative qualities : noisy gossipy
The opposite of each of the 16 adjectives in Exercise B: a.tidy b. pessimistic c. unsociable d. quiet/reserved e. outgoing/sociable f. outgoing/sociable g. patient h. unambitious i. hard-working j. mean k. calm l. lazy m. critical n. unreliable o. depressed/miserable p. insensitive
Discussion: Which personalities mentioned are typical of men and which of women?
Nursery rhyme What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and all things nice; That’s what little girls are made of.
What are little boys made of? Snips and snails and puppy dog’s tails; That’s what little boys are made of.
Listening and speaking Mature manMature women Speaker 1 Strong-minded, decisive, responsible, hard-working and know what they want Speaker 2 Good-physicality—the shape, the way he stands, the confidence he has, and the way he presents himself Speaker 3 Soft, attractive, having a caring attitude to children Speaker 4Caring, warm, considerate, understanding, open
Pre-reading activity Discussion: 1.Who do you think are more talkative? Men or women? Why? 2.Do you agree that silence is a quality of men and talkativeness is a feature of women?
Language points: 1. clear up: to explain or solve something e.g. There are a couple of points we need to clear up before the meeting begins. 2. dismiss: v. to refuse to consider someone’s idea, opinion, etc., without thinking carefully about it e.g. He just laughed and dismissed my suggestion as unrealistic.
3. disprove v. to prove something to be false e.g. She was able to quote figures that disproved Smith’s argument. 4. throw up: make something rise in the air e.g. The crowd cheered and threw their hats up in the air.
5. put up: to state ( a position in an argument) e.g. What argument do you have to put up against that? 6. turn out: to have a particular result, especially one that you did not expect e.g. It turned out that she was a friend of my sister.
7. by no means/ not by any means: not at all e.g. She’s by no means poor; in fact, she’s quite rich. 8. conviction n. a strong opinion or belief e.g. We have a conviction that everything will be fine in the end.
9. persistent adj. continuing to exist, happen, or appear for a long time e.g. He has got a persistent cough. 10. tag v. to put someone into a kind or class e.g. The country no longer wants to be tagged as a Third World nation.
11. speak up ： To say something, especially to express your opinion e.g. If you thought that wasn’t fair, why didn’t you speak up? 12. at heart: if you are a particular kind of person at heart, that is the kind of person that you really are e.g. Let’s face it. We ‘re all romantics at heart. 13. trump v. to win or succeed e.g. They were trumped by another firm that made a lower bid.
What do you think of Miss Wang’s advice?What do you think of Miss Wang’s advice? Do you think Lisa ignoring her classmates is a good idea?Do you think Lisa ignoring her classmates is a good idea?
Remember: one is silver and the other is gold. Make new friends and keep the old;