La classe 3DL presenta BOLOGNA: una città da scoprire
Bologna is the regional capital of Emilia Romagna, and a compulsory point of passage between the North and South of the Peninsula. An Etruscan and then Gallic settlement, it was first a colony and then a Roman Municipality. During the Middle Ages the city proclaimed itself a Free Common and reached the top of its power in 1249 with the victory of the Fossalta battle where King Enzo, son of the Emperor Frederic II, was made prisoner. Within its walls, the first University of the world saw the light in the XI century. Seigniories followed one another until the town in the XVI century fell once and for all under the influence of the Papal State while at the same time maintaining its own ancient magistracies, first of all the senate, and its own ambassador in Rome. In the charming historical center, among the best preserved in the world, many ancient palaces and churches stand and witness the cultural relevance that Bologna has had in the course of the centuries. A most modern Fair District, an efficient Congress Palace, up-to- date welcome structures crown a rich group of industrial companies of primary importance in the mechanical sector and in the field of agricultural and food processing, etc. Just take a walk along the nearly 40 kilometers of porticoes that decorate its streets allows to catch aspects of a life full of moods, to follow shopping itineraries in glamorous boutiques or in large and small street markets, also for food, to know a many-sided reality, culturally and economically at home in XXI century Europe.
TOWN HALLComune di Bologna ADDRESSPiazza Maggiore 6 - 40121 BOLOGNA PHONESwitchboard: 051 203111 URP (information office): 051 203040 FAXURP (information office): 051 232381 INTERNET WEB SITEhttp://www.comune.bologna.it SURFACE AREA (sq km):140.9POPULATION (inhabitants):372.505 ALTITUDE:54 m. a.s.l.DENSITY (inhabitants/sq km):2651,5
The Morandi Museum in Bologna is situated within the prestigious Palazzo d'Accursio, civic and cultural heart of the city. The Museum houses the richest collection of Giorgio Morandi's works, in an exhibition space which offers many moments of thought and reflection. The 281 works which make up the collection (78 paintings from 1910 to 1964, 20 watercolours, 92 sketches, 87 etchings, 2 sculptures and 2 engraved plates) are exhibited in silent and spacious surroundings pervaded by the "morandian light" which emanates from every image, translucent like the limpid skies over the hills of Bologna. During the visit it is possible to see the detailed and faithful reconstruction of Morandi's studio with his original furnishings, tools and models, an area dedicated to works of various artists from Morandi's private ancient art collection; some "rooms of memories" conserving other well-known objects which belonged to him including etchings of family portraits; the library-archive where all Morandi's books of art and literature are catalogued along with a vast patrimony of historical-documentary material relative to the artist and his work. All the rooms are air-conditioned and there is full access for disabled visitors. The Morandi Museum organises exhibitions of the artist in Italy and abroad and publishes books and catalogues. In its gallery the museum promotes exhibitions, concerts and lectures. NAMEMuseo Morandi ADDRESSc/o Palazzo d'Accursio Piazza Maggiore 6 - 40121 Bologna PHONETicket office: 051 203629 Educational Dept.: 051 203332 Library: 051 203646 Administration: 051 203386 FAX051 203403 - 204531 E-MAILmmorandi@comune.bologna.it WEB SITEhttp://www.museomorandi.it OPENING HOURSTuesday to Sundays and midweek holidays: 10.00 am - 6.00 pm CLOSING DAYMondays (except holidays) CLOSING PERIODChristmas, New Year's Day, May 1st
NAMEMuseo del Patrimonio Industriale - Ex Fornace Galotti ADDRESSVia della Beverara, 123 - 40131 Bologna PHONE+39 051 6356611 or +39 051 6356602 FAX+39 051 6346053 E-MAILMuseoPat@comune.bologna.it INTERNET SITEhttp://www.comune.bologna.it/patrimonioindustriale OPENING HOURSfrom Tuesday to Sunday from 9.00am to 1.00pm; Friday - Saturday - Sunday from 3.00pm to 6.00pm CLOSING DAYMondays CLOSING PERIODSmidweek holidays, May 1st, Dec. 25th, Jan. 1st The Museum of the Industrial Heritage premises are in the northern outskirts of Bologna, in a former kiln along the Navile, the ancient navigable channel of the city. The kiln, built in 1887 with a non-stop cycle Hoffmann oven, produced bricks, Marseille roof tiles and fired bricks working the top-quality clay present in the area. At the end of the century the expansion of the Galotti's Company brought to the construction of another Hoffmann oven of which some traces still remain on the ground in the inside courtyard. After a period of abandon following closing-down in 1966, the building was bought by the Municipality of Bologna and restored between 1984 and 1990. The Kiln was completely restored and furnished in order to host the Museum and other activities and institutions.
It is the largest Paleontological Museum in Italy both for its surface area and for the number and importance of its collections (a recent estimate rates it as having about one million pieces). The Museum is arranged in fifteen rooms and divided into four sections: ancient collections, fossilised plants, fossilised vertebrates, rock and invertebrate collections and fossils ordered according to their geographic origin in Italy and abroad. ADMISSION:freeHOW TO GET THERE:by busn. 14, 19, 20, 25, 27, 28, 36, 37, C NAMEMusuem of Paleonthology and Geology "G. Capellini" ADDRESSVia Zamboni, 63 - 40126 Bologna TELEPHONE051 2094555 – 051209932 - 0512099362 FAX051 2094522 OPENING HOURSfrom Monday to Friday 9.00 a.m. - 12.30 p.m. Special openings from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. every first Saturday of the month from October 2005 to May 2006 and every Saturday from December 2005 to January 2006 except 24 and 31 December 2005 WEEKLY CLOSURESaturdays and Sundays HOLIDAY CLOSUREHolidays. UNIVERSITY MUSEUMS INFORMATION S.M.A. - University Museum System Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna via Zamboni, 33 - 40126 Bologna Web site: http://www.unibo.it/musei-universitarihttp://www.unibo.it/musei-universitari
NAMEPhysics Museum ADDRESSVia Irnerio, 42 - 40126 Bologna TELEPHONE051 2091099 - 051 2091169 – 0512099988 - 0512099361 FAX0512099922 OPENING HOURSClosed for restauring UNIVERSITY MUSEUMS INFORMATIONS.M.A. - University Museum System Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna via Zamboni, 33 - 40126 Bologna Web site: http://www.unibo.it/musei-universitarihttp://www.unibo.it/musei-universitari HOW TO GET THERE:by busn. 20, 28, 36, 37, 89, 93, 94, 99 ADMISSION:free The Museum of Physics of the University of Bologna boasts a centuries-long tradition. Now that the 18th century material has been transferred to Palazzo Poggi, the Museum today contains the following important collections: 19th century instruments for experimental physics, the original teaching and experimental material of Augusto Righi (1850-1920), the apparatus used for teaching and for pure and applied research of Q. Majorana (1871-1957), apparatus from the school of specialisation in Radio communications, based on the original studies by Righi and Marconi and developed by Majorana and Todesco. Numerous instruments are on display to represent the 20th century and range from vacuum tubes to thermoionic valves, the first calculating machines to the most advanced models, traditional refractor microscopes to those of electrostatic and electronic type, early vacuum pumps to the most recent models, electrostatic measuring instruments to electromagnetic models, and from Wilson's cloud- chamber to wire and spark chambers.
History museum: Musei Civici d'Arte Antica - Museo Civico Medievale Museo Civico Medievale The museum opened in 1985 in the Palazzo Ghisilardi-Fava. The Palazzo was built as a noble residence towards the end of the 15th century and is one of the most important and beautiful examples of Bolognese architecture of the Bentivoglio period. However, the history of the building may be considered more antique. The Palace is built over a part of the city whose many layers of ancient artefacts were brought to light during recent restoration. Remains have been found ageing from Roman times to parts of the ancient Imperial castle destroyed in 1115, and to the tower of the Conoscenti family which was incorporated into the construction of the palace. The building is therefore strongly linked to the history of the city as are the various collections. Many of these inheritances and collections date back to the 17th century: from Marquis Cospi's collection of curiosities (17th century) to the Institute of Science (1714), and the Bolognese artist Pelagio Palagi's donation (1861) and on to the foundation of the "Museo Civico". The most important part of the museum is dedicated to the Medieval Period from the most antique artefacts of the Medieval Age (7th-9th centuries), to the great statue of Bonifacio VIII in gold-plated copper on wood, carried out by the Senese goldsmith Manno Bandini in 1301 for the "Palazzo Pubblico". Nearby you can see the great English cope embroidered at the beginning of the l4th century, one of the most significant of the Opus Anglicanum, from the S. Domenico Church. A museum so deeply rooted in the history of the city could not avoid a direct reference to the ancient University. In fact, there are many funeral sculptures dedicated to the teachers of the "Studio" (l4th-15th century), in which a strong will to praise is combined with the expressiveness of the local Gothic culture. Other important 15th and 16th century sculptures (Iacopo della Quercia, Francesco del Cossa and Vincenzo Onofri) illustrate the development of Renaissance Art of which the museum contains many examples, particularly in the section of bronzes. Here is the model of Giambologna's famous Neptune, designed for Piazza Maggiore, a masterpiece of l6th century plastic. The Museum also displays beautiful collections of arms (of particular interest the 16th century jousting armour), ivories and glasses, with 15th and 16th century masterpieces from Murano. Particularly interesting is the new illuminated manuscript's section (1995) formed by many important l3th-16th century Bolognese masterpieces.ù The museum opened in 1985 in the Palazzo Ghisilardi-Fava. The Palazzo was built as a noble residence towards the end of the 15th century and is one of the most important and beautiful examples of Bolognese architecture of the Bentivoglio period. However, the history of the building may be considered more antique. The Palace is built over a part of the city whose many layers of ancient artefacts were brought to light during recent restoration. Remains have been found ageing from Roman times to parts of the ancient Imperial castle destroyed in 1115, and to the tower of the Conoscenti family which was incorporated into the construction of the palace. The building is therefore strongly linked to the history of the city as are the various collections. Many of these inheritances and collections date back to the 17th century: from Marquis Cospi's collection of curiosities (17th century) to the Institute of Science (1714), and the Bolognese artist Pelagio Palagi's donation (1861) and on to the foundation of the "Museo Civico". The most important part of the museum is dedicated to the Medieval Period from the most antique artefacts of the Medieval Age (7th-9th centuries), to the great statue of Bonifacio VIII in gold-plated copper on wood, carried out by the Senese goldsmith Manno Bandini in 1301 for the "Palazzo Pubblico". Nearby you can see the great English cope embroidered at the beginning of the l4th century, one of the most significant of the Opus Anglicanum, from the S. Domenico Church. A museum so deeply rooted in the history of the city could not avoid a direct reference to the ancient University. In fact, there are many funeral sculptures dedicated to the teachers of the "Studio" (l4th-15th century), in which a strong will to praise is combined with the expressiveness of the local Gothic culture. Other important 15th and 16th century sculptures (Iacopo della Quercia, Francesco del Cossa and Vincenzo Onofri) illustrate the development of Renaissance Art of which the museum contains many examples, particularly in the section of bronzes. Here is the model of Giambologna's famous Neptune, designed for Piazza Maggiore, a masterpiece of l6th century plastic. The Museum also displays beautiful collections of arms (of particular interest the 16th century jousting armour), ivories and glasses, with 15th and 16th century masterpieces from Murano. Particularly interesting is the new illuminated manuscript's section (1995) formed by many important l3th-16th century Bolognese masterpiece.
STUDENT VISITS:guided tours for schools are available by advance appointment, during the school year. For booking: Educational Department - tel. 051 203934 - 203935 from Monday to Friday 11.30 am - 2.00 pm SERVICES:Guided tours, educational services, cassette walkman (Italian,English, French, Spanish), bookshop, conference room, access for the disabled, Italian captions, audioguides Italian and English (Euro 4.00) ADMISSION*:fullEuro 4.00 reductionEuro 2.00 visitors from 15 to 18, over 60, university students and groups of students with teacher freechildren up to 14, the disabled and their helpers * The ticket is also valid for temporary exhibitions organized in the museum. NAMEMuseo Civico Medievale ADDRESSVia Manzoni 4 - 40121 Bologna PHONE051 203930 051 203916 (ticket office) OPENING HOURSTuesday to Saturday: 9.00 am - 6.30 pm Sundays and holidays: 10.00 am - 6.30 pm CLOSING DAYMondays (except holidays) CLOSING PERIODChristmas, New Year's Day, May 1st INFORMATIONMusei Civici d'Arte Antica Via Manzoni 4 - 40121 Bologna INTERNET SITEhttp://www.comune.bologna.it/iperbole/MuseiCivici HOW TO GET THERE:by busn. 11, 20, 27, 28, C, BLQ Aerobus
STUDENT VISITS: guided tours for schools are available by advance appointment, during the school year. For booking: Educational Department - tel. 051 203934 - 203935 from Monday to Friday 11.30 am - 2.00 pm SERVICES:guided tours, educational services, bookshop ADMISSION:free NAMEMuseo Civico d'Arte Industriale e Quadreria Davia Bargellini ADDRESSStrada Maggiore 44 - 40125 Bologna PHONE051 236708 OPENING HOURSTuesday to Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Sunday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:0 p.m. SUMMER 2005: unalterated timetable. CLOSING DAYMondays (except holidays) CLOSEDChristmas, New Year's Day, May 1st, INFORMATIONMusei Civici d'Arte Antica Via Manzoni 4 - 40121 Bologna Internet site: http://www.comune.bologna.it/iperbole/MuseiCivicihttp://www.comune.bologna.it/iperbole/MuseiCivici HOW TO GET THERE:by busn. 14, 19, 25, 27 The museum is housed on the ground floor of the prestigious Bargellini Palace, designed by the architect Bartolomeo Provaglia and begun in 1638. The façade of the palace was embellished in 1658 with the two famous sandstone atlases by the Bolognese sculptors Gabriele Brunelli and Francesco Agnesini, while the magnificent stairway, possibly by Carlo Francesco Dotti, dates from the first half of the eighteenth century (1730). After the Bargellini died out, in 1839 the palace passed to a branch of the Davia, another illustrious Bolognese senatorial family, who occupied it until 1874. Opened to the public in 1924, the museum today is still organised as it was by its curator, Francesco Malaguzzi Valeri, head of the Fine Arts Service. It is composed of two distinct nuclei, the Davia Bargellini picture gallery and the collections of applied arts. In bringing these two heritages together in the halls of the museum, its creator intended to recreate an eighteenth-century Bolognese furnished apartment.
Traditional place of worship for the presence of an image the Virgin of St. Luca as well as reassuring visual landmark for Bolognese approaching town, the shrine located on top of Guardia hill is one of Bologna's symbol. The 666 vaults of the arcade - unique for his length covering almost four kilometres (3,796 m) - link the shrine with the town and provide a shelter for the procession which every year since 1433 has brought the Byzantine Madonna with Child to the cathedral downtown during the Ascension week. Construction started in 1674 with the building of the Bonaccorsi archway by G. G. Monti over Saragozza Gateway. The start of the climb is marked by the Meloncello Archway along via Saragozza, designed by Dotti with the likely contribution of the stage designer Francesco Bibiena. The aedicule with its curved plan and the recourse to the free column represents, together with the open area outside the basilica, the only outdoor example of Baroque in town. Today's church was built by Dotti between 1723 and 1757 in place of an earlier 15th-century church, while the two outside tribunes were brought to completion by his son Giovanni Giacomo in 1774 NAMESantuario di San Luca ( Shrine of St. Luke) ADDRESSVia di S. Luca, 36 - 40135 Bologna PHONE051 6142339 OPENING TIMESmorning 7.00 - 12.30 a.m.; afternoon from October to February 2.30 - 5.00 p.m., march 2.30 - 6.00 p.m., other months 2.30 - 7.00 p.m. On Sundays and Holidays the sanctuary is open also from 12.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m. HOW TO GET THERE:by car by-pass exit n. 1 and 2 direction "Bologna centro" (Bologna city center) by bus n. 20 get off at the bus stop "Villa Spada" and take the private Cosepuri minibus
It’s the most particular church complex in Bologna, the real city sanctuary and the cradle of the Fathers’ faith. Rose around a first fifth- century settlement, wanted by bishop Petronio, that after would have been joint by a reproduction of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Santo Stefano stands next to the chapel with protomartyrs of Bologna Vitale and Agricola’s mortal remains, exhumated by Saint Ambrogio in 392, and it comprises buildings made between the X and the XIII century by the Benedectines. The complex represents a symbolic rebuilding of the Passion of Christ’s places, as the ancient denomination of the complex testifies: "Sacra Hierusalem". The facades of Crocifisso (right), Calvario (center) and Ss. Vitale and Agricola (left) churches stand in the beautiful square. The first church hosts a crypt from 1019 and precious art works; the second church, has a round shape, is overlooked by the reproduction of Christ’s tomb (XII-XIV centuries) in which there is the urn with Saint Petronio’s remains, patron saint of Bologna. The third church, really well-known for its bare basilic structure, hosts the ancient graves of Saints Vitale and Agricola (interesting the capitals of various styles, coming from previous Roman and Byzantine buildings, and the remains of VI century mosaic floors). Pilato’s courtyard is remarkable, with a marble basin offered by Liutprando and Ilprando, king of the Lombards, that considered Saint Stefano as their main religious centre. Then the Trinità church, restored between XII and XII century, where you can admire a precious crib made of painted and gold wood by Simone dei Crocifissi (XIV century). Of great appeal is the Benedectine cloister with a double open gallery (X-XIII century), one of the most splendid art works from Emilia’s Romanesque style. At last it is worth visiting the Museum that hosts paintings, sculptures and other art works from different periods. NAMEComplesso di Santo Stefano ADDRESSVia S. Stefano, 24 - 40125 Bologna TELEPHONE051 223256 OPENING HOURSevery day 9.00am - 12.00pm. / 3.30pm - 6.00pm
The Basilica of St Petronio, honoring the patron saint (eighth bishop of Bologna from 431 to 450), is the most imposing (a length of 132m, a width of 66m, a height of 47m) and the most important church in Bologna. In the recent years the Basilica, considered the local power symbol in contrast with the Vatican power featured by St Peter's Cathedral, have always been administrated as a town setting up. Building started in 1390 under the supervision of the architect Antonio di Vincenzo and the church's original design was created to celebrate the reconquest of the town. In 1514, Arduino degli Arriguzzi proposes a new model with a Latin-cross aimed to overtop St Peter's Church in Rome. According to the legend, Pio VI stopped the costruction of this megalomaniac dream and requested to build up the Archiginnasio. Even the facade was left incomplete; the central nave covering and the apses shooting, designed by Girolamo Rainaldi and directed by Francesco Martini, were completed only in 1663; the lower naves were closed by rectilinear walls. Built in 1470 by Lorenzo da Prato and symbolized by the most prestigious and older functional organ in the world, the bolognese musical Chapel was once very famous. Another organ, more recent (1596), belongs to Baldassarre Malamini and despite its 400 years it is still functional as well. In 1894, Museo di San Petronio opened with the projet of T. Azzolini. There are then four crosses of stone between the chapels 1-2, 9-10, 13-14, 21-22 that, according to the legend, St Petronio placed at the perimeter's angles of the town then, in the next centuries, the circle of the selenite walls have been defined. NAMEBasilica San Petronio ADDRESSPiazza Maggiore - 40124 BOLOGNA TELEPHONE051 225442 / 051 231415 OPENING HOURSwinter: the whole week from 7.30am to 1.00 pm and from 2.30 pm to 6.00 pm summer : the whole week from 7.30 am to 1.15 pm and from2
One of the richest churches in Bologna for the historical art, it is the Preaching Order’s first creation and guardian of its founder S. Domenico’s mortal remains. Started after the saint’s death (1221), it features a sober Romanesque facade, next to it there is the Ghisilardi Chapel of the Renaissance period, built by Baldassarre Peruzzi in san Domenico square, one of the most beautiful of the city. The inside area, restored in 1727-32 by Carlo Francesco Dotti, who combined the two ancient medieval nucleus in one only building with bright and straight lines, hosts art works of inestimable value as paintings by Guercino (San Tommaso), by Luca Cambiaso (Natività), by Filippino Lippi (Sposalizio mistico di S. Caterina, 1501), by Lodovico Carracci (S.Raimondo), by Giunta Pisano (Crocifisso). San Domenico chapel is extraordinary, it has a beautiful marble ark that keeps the mortal remains, one of the purest creation of the plastic Italian art. The chapel is made even more precious thanks to the sculptures by Nicolò Pisano in the urn (1267), by Alfonso Lombardi in the altar step (1532) and by G.B. Boudard in the frontal (1768), it is overtopped by a magnificent marble top moulding modelled in 1469-73 by Nicolò dell’Arca ( statues of S. Petronio, of S.procolo and of the right angel are by Michelangelo). Dazzling also the painting decorations of the chapel (Glorificazione di S. Domenico nel catino by Guido Reni). Masterpiece of the Renaissance inlay is the wooden choir by fra’ Damiano da Bergamo (1528-51), defined by his contemporaries the eighth wonder of the world and also admired by the Emperor Carlo V. Of great charm the cloisters of the convent and San Domenico’s cell. NAMESan Domenico ADDRESSPiazza S. Domenico, 13 - 40124 Bologna TELEPHONE051 6400411 OPENING HOURS8.00 am - 12.30 pm / 3.30 pm - 6.30 pm
The two 'twin' towers the traditional symbol of Bologna, stand at the strategic point where the old Aemilian way entered the town. Today they stand right at the middle of the opening of Porta Ravegnana square, but this does not correspond to their original layout, which comprised wooden constructions all around their base and hanging passageways. Made in masonry work, as very few other buildings at that time, they had very important military functions (signalling and defence), beside representing with their imposing heights the social prestige of noble families. In the late 12th century, at least one hundred towers dotted the town' s skyline, but today only twenty have survived the ravages of fire, warfare and lightning. Quite recently the statue of San Petronio made by Gabriele Brunelli in 1670 was again placed under the towers, after being removed in 1871 for "traffic reasons". The Asinelli Tower was built in 1109 - 19 by the Asinelli family, but by the following century it had already passed under the control of the Commune. It is 97.20 m-high with a drop of 2.23 metres and an inner staircase of 498 steps completed in 1684. The plinth is surrounded by a small 'stronghold' built in 1488 to house the soldiers of the watch. Today, its arcade is occupied by a few craft shops and ateliers, as a memento of the merchants' trade of the Medieval 'mercato di mezzo'. The Garisenda Tower, built around the same time, is much smaller (47 metres) with a steeper drop (3.22 m) due to an early and more marked subsidence of soil and foundation. Dante, who saw the tower before the process had started, compared it to a leaning Anteo in the 31st Canto of his Inferno. In mid 14th century the tower had to be lowered. The ashlar covering in selenite stone of the base dates back to the late 19th century.
NAMELe Due Torri (The Two Towers) ADDRESSPiazza di Porta Ravegnana - 40126 Bologna OPENING TIMEAsinelli Tower: opening time: 9.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m. summer / 9.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m. winter Garisenda Tower: not accessible.... HOW TO GET THERE:by busn. 13, 14, 19, 25, 27 ADMISSION:Asinelli Tower: admission 3 Euro Garisenda Tower: not accessible