The White Tower of Thessaloniki is a fortified tower of the 15th century, which was subsequently used as lodging guard Janissaries and also as a prison for people sentenced to death. It is one of the most famous buildings, in Greece. It has 6 floors, 34 meters height and 70 feet around.
The dock of Thessaloniki, is the sea gate of the Balkan hinterland. The dock of Thessaloniki was the strategic and financial heart of the city. The history of Thessaloniki begins in 316 BC with its founding by Cassander, king of Macedonia, who gave it the name of his wife, sister of Alexander the Great. The port of Thessaloniki was established circa the same period and is still emerging as hub of East and West.
The Arch was built in the area of the Roman "Tetrarchy" (early 4th century AD) and is apart (west) a roofed portico, formed by arches. Built to honor the Roman Emperor Galerius, when he returned victorious to the city (around 306 AD) after the wars against the Persians.
The Rotunda, the circular shape it owes its name. Built during the reign of Caesar Galerius, around 306 AD as a temple of Zeus or by others as a mausoleum itself.
The Agora was, in ancient Greek and Roman cities, economic, administrative, social and spiritual center of the city. It was an open space, only for the male inhabitants of the city. In addition to its commercial nature, the market was a place of discussion.
The walls of Thessaloniki was an important part of the Byzantine fortress city with a unique archaeological, architectural and artistic significance. They have a trapezoid shape and the perimeter was about 7 kilometers, but now they are limited to 3 km. Their height ranges from 8.30 meters to 10.50 meters.
The Saint Dimitrios is the temple in memory of the martyr and patron Demetrius of Thessaloniki. The Saint Dimitrios was first constructed in 313 AD and was rebuilt after a fire in 612. In 1917 the church was burned and almost completely destroyed. In 1926 reconstruction began and ended in 1948.
Church of the Byzantine era was built in the 7 th century. In the ruins of an older church as a basilica with a dome. It has many similarities with the homonymous church of Constantinople.
The church of Panagia Acheiropoietos was built after the Council of Ephesus in 431 and was proclaimed Mary, Mother of the Christ. This makes it one of the oldest churches of Eastern Christianity, with continuous operation. The name refers to an image of Holy Mary that is believed that was painted by angels.
Eleftherios Venizelos was first decided in 1917 to establish a museum for the heroes of Macedonia and culture of Macedonia.
The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki was inaugurated in October 27 1962. created by architect Patroklos Quarantine. The exhibits, which hosts come from excavations carried out in the city of Thessaloniki and the region of Macedonia.
The Folklore and Ethnological Museum of Macedonia-Thrace, was founded in 1970 in Thessaloniki and essentially took over the Folklore Museum of Northern Greece, which had been founded by the Macedonians Educational Fraternity. Housed in a building, which was known as Old Government House this building was built in 1906 by architect Modiano.
The establishment of the museum was decided early in 1913, just one year after the liberation of Thessaloniki.
The largest food market in town was built after the fire of 1917 by the architect and engineer Eli Modiano and began operations in 1925.
The Tower of OTE telecom is 76 meters tall. It is located in central Thessaloniki at Thessaloniki International Fair, which is one of the biggest events of its kind across Europe. Constructed in 1970 was designed by architect Al. Anastasiadis, and served for several years as a stand of Hellenic Telecommunications Organization in the International Fair.
Aristotle Square is one of the main squares of Thessaloniki. Located at the beginning of the road Aristotle, in the heart of the city. The square was designed and built in 1917.